Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:35:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Houghton out for season  (Read 10826 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Houghton out for season
« Reply #30 on February 21, 2017, 04:20:05 pm by drfchound »
donnyO, for me it has to be either Keegan or Middleton.
Also, you wouldn't want to be changing that role mid game and Gary Mac isn't ready for 90 minutes yet.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 21, 2017, 04:43:48 pm by GazLaz »
Anyone insinuating Gary Mac should come in must be implying he comes into the side and the midfield is reshuffled to accommodate. Grant sitting and GM on the left hand side. He's not fit anyway, Middleton will play there.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 21, 2017, 05:15:36 pm by The Red Baron »
Lund was substituted after 75 at Wrexham on Saturday but I do not know any reason. hopefully not injury, he has had enough this year

They were chasing the game and he'd been booked. I don't think he was injured.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 21, 2017, 05:19:34 pm by The Red Baron »
Anyone insinuating Gary Mac should come in must be implying he comes into the side and the midfield is reshuffled to accommodate. Grant sitting and GM on the left hand side. He's not fit anyway, Middleton will play there.

I actually think Middleton will get the first bite. If that doesn't work the others will be considered.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 21, 2017, 05:28:13 pm by Copps is Magic »
I think there are other options which haven't been mentioned such as Rowe going in the middle and playing a more conventional 2 in the centre with grant. Copps move out wide, with either Gary macca or Mandeville playing behind the 2/1 strikers.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 21, 2017, 05:35:04 pm by Rovers91 »
Big blow losing him but least it's a position where we have options, I think Middleton will get the nod because when picked he's done quite well IMO so deserves a chance to get the shirt. If not Middleton I would put Mason there but not many options to cover him on the left side of defence.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 21, 2017, 05:38:41 pm by roversdude »
I dont see what the problem would be with playing Keegan in the JH role.
Why would he stifle us?
His job is to pick up loose balls and give them to the attacking players and be cover for the back line.
Last season he was in a side which was clearly struggling to win a game and to be fair he didn't get much stick from the fans, in fact he was regularly praised.
Not many of our players were stand out good last season but in the current team he could do a decent job.

Hound he does the breaking up bit fair enough but can't pass a ball more than 2 yards and then only sideways/backwards
Great to put on if we are defending a lead with a few minutes left

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 21, 2017, 05:46:07 pm by mushRTID »
Devastated for him. Been a class act but he also seems a top lad who was excited at pushing for promotion for us.

If/when we go up I hope he comes to any celebrations to get his medal because his contribution has been massive.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 21, 2017, 05:48:53 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Gutted for him. He's been ace. Middleton will come in now is my bet.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 21, 2017, 05:51:41 pm by RedJ »

Anyone insinuating Gary Mac should come in is an idiot. I don't understand where this idea that he can suddenly play in a position that he's never played in in his career has suddenly come from.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 21, 2017, 06:03:24 pm by balbyrover »
Real shame but as already said above,had kind of already resigned myself that he was going to be done for the season.
He's been excellent and massive part of our team,hopefully he will be fit and back in a Rovers shirt next season.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 21, 2017, 06:33:59 pm by bedale rover »
No one has mentioned the other option
Connor Grant
Balance the side up by allowing rowe to be more involved could also allow us to revert to a diamond

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 21, 2017, 06:41:46 pm by CJK »
Big loss that. I wish the lad well and hope he comes back stronger, he's got a bright future in the game from what I've seen this season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 21, 2017, 07:20:57 pm by RoversAlias »

That is precisely why I mentioned him. We have several options here, the simplest of which of course is to give the role to Middleton (or Keegan) and maintain the same set-up. I brought up McSheffrey because Fergie may decide he'd rather change the formation altogether and, when GMac is fully fit, bring him in on the left and play with a conventional two-man midfield featuring some combination of Middleton, Rowe and Grant, but that would probably involve only playing one striker.

Me personally, I would try Baudry there and if it doesn't work give Keegan the chance. I don't think Middleton is as good playing deep as he is further forward but I'd be delighted if he proved me wrong on that one.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 21, 2017, 07:22:11 pm by The Red Baron »
  Big thanks to Jordan...Fantastic for us and gutted for him...Reading the Free Press article lets hops its not medial ligaments...The lad must be gutted after the effort he's put in...It's a cruel game at times...

It's the ACL that's the really bad one.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 21, 2017, 07:38:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes a big blow as he's been pivotal. He's shown how that position should be played. He's strong, very mobile and can play quick passes with both feet, inside and outside of the foot releasing other players into space.

Middleton is the obvious choice but he has tendency to want an extra touch which sometimes has cost us possession however, when playing well, he does have a range of passing.

Keegan. Yes he can break up play but again he tends to be less progressive by not being as quick in thought as Houghton.

Baudry. Yes he has the similar intelligence to play the simple balls quickly and, has the mobility to be consistent all over the pitch.

DF will I'm sure give Middleton the nod initially before considering Baudry and Mason.

Certainly hope to see Houghton back to collect his winners medal and recover sufficiently to test his progress with us in League One.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 21, 2017, 07:49:26 pm by dknward2 »
Copps already tweeted him to say see you in may so I guess they are expecting to meet again

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 21, 2017, 08:18:16 pm by Lesonthewest »
Absolutely gutted for the lad, certainly has a big future in the game. Middleton will probably get another chance but for me it would have to be Mason, think he would be excellent in that role, with McSheffrey coming back up to fitness maybe Rowe can temporarily fill in at left back, with Evina on the bench as back up.

darren61

« Reply #48 on February 21, 2017, 08:39:24 pm by darren61 »
A bad loss for us and a bad injury for the lad. But hey! lets not wet the bed. We have a decent squad and we are not a one man team. COYR

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 22, 2017, 08:54:25 am by Bezza »
Houghton will be a big loss for us, but hopefully he will be back next season, Now is the time for Harry Middleton to step up i expect him to be given first chance by Fergie and i hope he takes it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 22, 2017, 07:35:08 pm by Campsall rover »
I don't understand all the Keegan bashing on here.
It was not long ago most were singing his praises on the job he did for the team.
We have hardly seen him this season due injury and Houghton establishing himself in the team with his outstanding performances.
So how do we know Keegan can't still do the job for the team.
His strength is in breaking up play and that is the most important part for the defensive/holding midfield position.
Yes he is not as quick/mobile as JH and his passing does not have the range or vision of JH but if he does his main job the 5 yard pass to someone more creative will do just fine.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 22, 2017, 07:48:17 pm by roversdude »
Campsall you are trying to compare apples with oranges
Keegan is good at breaking up the play - however we need more than that
Still think he has a part to play this season but certainly not as first choice midfielder

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 22, 2017, 08:03:58 pm by Campsall rover »
Campsall you are trying to compare apples with oranges
Keegan is good at breaking up the play - however we need more than that
Still think he has a part to play this season but certainly not as first choice midfielder
We have enough creative midfielders in Grant, Rowe, Coppinger & Blair so it won't or shouldn't be a problem playing Keegan. I have already said in my previous post that he doesn't have all the attributes of JH.
Yes we WILL miss JH but it might not be as bad as we thought initially.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 22, 2017, 08:04:11 pm by knockers »
First choice midfielder is injured so he's the second choice therefore by your logic he should play!!

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 22, 2017, 09:53:04 pm by karldew »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 22, 2017, 11:38:38 pm by roversdude »
Don't recall saying he was second choice so my logic is irrelevant

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on February 23, 2017, 09:39:33 am by BigH »
To be honest, I'm more concerned about what's going on up front rather than our ability to replace Jordan.

Williams seems to be reprising last year's role of misser in chief and it seems to have got to Marquis a bit.

McSheffrey isn't anywhere like match fit but for now we have to hope that his quality, and perhaps May's combination of energy and being an unknown quantity, can dig us out.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 23, 2017, 10:03:59 am by GazLaz »
Williams is admittedly out of form but he got 16 goals in a relegated side last season and 9 in 20 odd starts this year. He will come good again.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on February 23, 2017, 10:13:27 am by BigH »
Unfortunately the stats belie the fact that his goals come in patches and rarely at the times that really matter. I don't think opponents fear him; frustrate him and he'll fall away. I think that a spell on the bench, being brought on for the last half hour could get him going again

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 23, 2017, 10:15:49 am by wing commander »
   Personally I would stick with Williams for now and bring May on in the latter stages if needed..Williams isn't playing badly and once he scores he will be fine..With Houghton gone we need to be wary of changing the dynamics of the team too much...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012