Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:05:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Would someone please remind me  (Read 5624 times)

deebee

• Forum Member
Would someone please remind me
« on February 22, 2017, 08:20:54 am by deebee »
Why we don't announce the crowd total attendance at matches any more? I have been to lots of away games this season and the attendance is always announced including how many are away fans.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ballysbackin

Re: Would someone please remind me
« Reply #1 on February 22, 2017, 08:22:21 am by ballysbackin »
Probably backed up by Gavin Baldwin's latest on the club very disappointed in home crowd attendances even though Rovers currently top of the League

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 22, 2017, 08:25:36 am by Alan Southstand »
Gavin Baldwin needs to get a reality check, then. Top of League 2 is not as enticing as top of league 1.

ballysbackin

« Reply #3 on February 22, 2017, 08:43:23 am by ballysbackin »
I agree. We had this with Mr Ryan. I started to watch the you tube thing last night and in his early bit, the crowds and the people of Doncaster blah blah blah. I turned it off when we got to about 5 mins, I was not going to comment on it in the thread because people said it was brill. I do not doubt it is but it is not for me thank you.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 22, 2017, 09:10:34 am by wesisback »
Any occasional fan who's been to see us for the last two years will have been treated to £20 for 90 minutes of toss. Have we done anything this season to bring em back in and show them the football is a completely different breed this season?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 22, 2017, 09:35:45 am by idler »
The football has been better and more entertaining with better players.
The trouble is that once people stop going every week the habit is broken and some take some getting back.
I deliberately didn't renew my season ticket as I knew that if I did I would get to as many games as possible. After nearly forty years of travelling across for games the journey is now a bind and since the wife retired taking five or six hours out of every other Saturday doesn't seem fair.
I'll do more if I can get my son to drive. The other thing is that if I still lived in Donny I would barely miss a match.
I'll be staying in Donny next Thursday night ready for the early start for Friday's trip for the supporters' week-end for Crawley though. 🙂

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 22, 2017, 09:43:52 am by glosterred »
The crowd is probably not announced nowadays as it just sets of a chorus of "your ground is to big for you" from the half dozen away fans!

COYR

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 22, 2017, 09:46:35 am by GazLaz »
Not announcing the attendance doesn't hide the problem, presuming there is one.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 22, 2017, 09:46:54 am by DaveDRFC »
We've not announced attendances at matches for years, from memory it was probably 2nd or 3rd season in the championship when every time the attendance was announced the away fans then took the piss for about 5 minutes. So we just stopped. Don't understand why we still don't bother, nobody in league 2 gets decent crowds (other than Portsmouth maybe).

ballysbackin

« Reply #9 on February 22, 2017, 09:53:05 am by ballysbackin »
We've not announced attendances at matches for years, from memory it was probably 2nd or 3rd season in the championship when every time the attendance was announced the away fans then took the piss for about 5 minutes. So we just stopped. Don't understand why we still don't bother, nobody in league 2 gets decent crowds (other than Portsmouth maybe).

Television has spoilt that experience of waiting to buy tickets and then basking in sub zero temps or boiling hot days. Traffic queues. Crap food and over priced too. Too easy now to sit infront of the tv. kids on computers instead of fresh air.

ExileRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 22, 2017, 06:42:53 pm by ExileRover »
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/15108536.Bantams_happy_to_stay_cheap_and_cheerful___whatever_the_division/

Bradford don't have a problem with cold weather and TV games though. I know they have a bigger ground so can afford to do this on a bigger scale but im still convinced if we halved the season ticket price and got double the sales the club would still make more money based on after sales such as programmes and food.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 22, 2017, 06:45:51 pm by Goole Rover »
Dead right Mick, monitor their time in front of the computer and control, get them out on the back field like we did.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 22, 2017, 06:52:18 pm by mushRTID »
Was talking about this Saturday in the pub.

Had the ground been on the old college site in the town centre, does anyone think crowds would be better?

Personally I don't think the keepmoat is in a brilliant location.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 22, 2017, 07:27:28 pm by Draytonian III »
It's not just the ground itself,when new grounds are built transportation and car parks are taking into account

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 22, 2017, 07:39:36 pm by balbyrover »

Had the ground been on the old college site in the town centre, does anyone think crowds would be better?

I'm glad it's not so close to the town centre. The traffic would be horrendous! I sometimes have the pleasure of going through Rotherham on a matchday when I have to work and the journey can be a nightmare!

As for would it improve the attendances? I don't think it would make much difference. There's not a great deal in the distance from town to be honest,public transport is available also for those who don't drive and there is plenty of car parks available.

The problem with attendances is simply that we missed generations of supporters who went on to support the likes of Leeds,Wednesday,Blades etc.. all much more glamorous clubs with bigger history.  The only way the crowds will improve is with success. And It won't just happen overnight.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 22, 2017, 07:50:35 pm by johnny rovers »
Gavin Baldwin needs to get a reality check, then. Top of League 2 is not as enticing as top of league 1.

The issue is Alan we were getting bigger crowds thirteen years after being at the top of the then division three. It's very disappointing that a lot of fans have dropped us like a bad Penney after a decade of successes since that memorable first season back in the league. I know lots of lads who used to go week in week out, home and away! They don't even get down to the odd game now but probably do call themselves a fan of the club. One understands that as you get older other responsibilities take over somewhat but you would expect fans that have followed us in the old forth division and the conference would want to make at least half a dozen matches this season!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:52:36 pm by johnny rovers »

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 22, 2017, 07:54:24 pm by johnny rovers »

Spot on, I've always said the stadium should of been on that site, it would of been far better! More fans out having a drink in town would of made a good atmosphere!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 22, 2017, 08:01:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Does anyone think that Rovers attendances could be influenced by the fortunes of  L**ds at any given time?

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 22, 2017, 08:41:15 pm by CantleyRed »
Belle Vue was much nearer town and the crowds rarely dropped below 6000

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 22, 2017, 08:52:17 pm by johnny rovers »
To a certain degree yes, there are still lots of Leeds fans who occasionally go down the rovers, probably less so in recent seasons. You'll still get young lads who end up supporting Leeds because there dad does, was talking to a youth in town before the Luton game who was knocking around with lots of rovers fans cos there his mates but his dad is a big Leeds fan from Thorne!!!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 22, 2017, 09:03:35 pm by drfchound »
I have noticed recently that plenty of my customers have been asking me about the Rovers and showing an interest now that we are doing well.
Over the last few home games an odd one or two have told me they had attended a match and only today two told me they were going on Saturday.
There is a definite lift in interest just now.
As has been said though, L2 isn't such a big pull for occasional fans, although i think we did have the biggest L2 crowd last Saturday.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 22, 2017, 09:17:22 pm by roversontheup »

To be fair to Gavin who IMHO works his socks off for the club and the supporters, I think his comment was more along the lines that it was disappointing that our support hadn't increased more in view of the fact we were sat at the top of the league and going very well. I share that view I really thought more people would come and watch if we were doing well.

As to announcing the crowd numbers....it was something I asked about a couple of months ago and in particular to announce the away following too. I can't remember where the supporter feedback came from but Gavin said there didn't seem to be much interest in such announcements.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 22, 2017, 09:20:39 pm by johnny rovers »
The problem that we have is fans that are either die hards or floaters take the 90 minutes all to seriously. Yes, I want us to win just as much as the fan stood next to me.

For me it's a social event where a good few pints and having a laugh with your mates are a as important as the match itself! Town on Saturday was virtually dead, hardly any fans out making a social occasion of going to the football.

It doesn't matter what division we are in or who we play, the status quo of a good few pints and some crack with your mates is what's important!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 22, 2017, 09:40:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Football's not just a matter of a good few pints and some crack with your mates, it's much more important than that!

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 22, 2017, 09:46:19 pm by Goole Rover »
Belle Vue was much nearer town and the crowds rarely dropped below 6000

I think they did Cantley. I recall a game against Chester when I was accompanied bu another 748 or so. We lost the crowds in 1970 after the post Christmas dire run. No prizes for guessing where they went.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 22, 2017, 09:55:19 pm by Muttley »
Belle Vue was much nearer town

Actually about the same distance

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 22, 2017, 10:02:29 pm by johnny rovers »
Football's not just a matter of a good few pints and some crack with your mates, it's much more important than that

I agree with you on that, but the match starts at 3 and is finished at 4:50. If you solely try to get your enjoyment from those 110 minutes and  it becomes less enjoyable due to performances and results then you'll likely stop going. If you try and have the mind set that I'll enjoy the day out with the lads win lose or draw then you'll likely to want to keep going.

I'll give you a good example. Over many years I've enjoyed many London away days, non more so than the charlton away game. As we all know this game was called off at half time and it had a bearing on how the season panned out but it was still a cracking day out! Leaving the ground I was utterly disgusted with a dozen or so rovers fans who were ganging up on a poor steward about why the game had been called off. I mean the poor lad can't stop Mother Nature or have any influence on the referees decision making.

My mindset was, the game has been called off, there nothing anyone can do about it,because it happens from time to time. At least we all got in the barrowboy and banker for an earlier than expected pint at London Bridge!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:09:34 pm by johnny rovers »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 22, 2017, 10:43:16 pm by Bentley Bullet »
That's a great philosophy, JR, and everything would be fantastic if everyone felt the same. but they don't.

To a lot of people, it is of prime importance whether their team wins or loses. That's why every team in the land loses support when they lose regularly.

I, for instance, through no choice of my own, adopt a persona that reflects my team's last result. If Rovers have lost, I'm a different person than if they have won.  I've been like that since I was a kid, although admittedly I have become increasingly less influenced by it over the years. When I was a kid I had a cloud over me until Rovers won again, but now I get over a defeat after a couple of pints on a Saturday night, or by midnight after a midweek match after a couple of Whiskies.

To me, everything is about winning, which seems a bit daft being a Rovers fan, but at least I'm loyal enough to stick with my local team - Unfortunately, not everyone's like me, and about 5 thousand others!

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 23, 2017, 12:40:05 am by johnny rovers »
That's a great philosophy, JR, and everything would be fantastic if everyone felt the same. but they don't.

To a lot of people, it is of prime importance whether their team wins or loses. That's why every team in the land loses support when they lose regularly.

I, for instance, through no choice of my own, adopt a persona that reflects my team's last result. If Rovers have lost, I'm a different person than if they have won.  I've been like that since I was a kid, although admittedly I have become increasingly less influenced by it over the years. When I was a kid I had a cloud over me until Rovers won again, but now I get over a defeat after a couple of pints on a Saturday night, or by midnight after a midweek match after a couple of Whiskies.

To me, everything is about winning, which seems a bit daft being a Rovers fan, but at least I'm loyal enough to stick with my local team - Unfortunately, not everyone's like me, and about 5 thousand others!

BB, I totally agree with your sentiments, I truly do!

People often wonder why fans love football and there team so much and I'll recall a game from twenty years ago.

Before I do, ill give you a little bit of back ground. My first Rovers game was in either 89 or 90 when I was about 9 against Halifax Town. 3-0 up at half time, we ended up getting beat 4-3 with Horsfield scoring a hatrick, how apt you might say.

I would describe my following of the rovers during the 90's a "bit part". I would occasionally go with my Dad, more often than not with a guy from down the street during the early 90's and also several times with a close mates dad. The 90's wasn't the greatest decade for the rovers as I'm sure your well aware off, although a  90's best eleven would be up there with any Rovers side from the last 15 years. I enjoyed going to the rovers back then and  enjoy being on the popside, the odd win from time to time was exciting to say the least. I was also a keen follower of the Dons as a Kid as were many of my family and enjoyed some great times at Tattersfield, espically during he mid 90's when my following of rovers wained somewhat.

I'm still a passionate follower of rugby league and its a great sport when played at the highest level, although my following of the Dons is far less these days.

So to the point I'm going to make, the game from virtually twenty years ago now. Rovers 2 Wigan Athletic 0. There was great anticipation before the game whether or not Paul Birch would play or not. Thankfully Uncle Ken selected him to play and what a game it was. The atmosphere was amazing for a relatively small crowd that night. The performance and result was much needed.

But the key moment that hit me like a steam train and made me realise what being a football fan was all about and more importantly what following your local team was about was of course Paul Birch's 25 yard screamer. Quite surreal at the time, one second you just stood there the next you going bloody crazy!

The popside went mental as did I, jumping around like a wild monkey on ecstasy. I knew from then on, that feeling of a sudden rush of excitment was so addictive. I knew that all the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling and still doesn't to this day, just like when Alfie May scored on Saturday! 

For me that's the real reason why we keep going to support our local team! watching good football is a great pleasure and all the social benefits that go with following the Rovers is great.

Finally as I said before to people, where else on the planet would you rather of been on that eventful afternoon in west London on April 27th 2013.............. Answer, nowhere other than Griffin Park!!!

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 23, 2017, 02:55:03 am by richtherover »
There's no way Horsfield scored a hat trick for Halifax in that 4-3 game - it would have been about 10 years before his time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012