Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:13:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Would someone please remind me  (Read 5588 times)

RoversDave

• VSC Member
Re: Would someone please remind me
« Reply #30 on February 23, 2017, 06:51:51 am by RoversDave »
There's no way Horsfield scored a hat trick for Halifax in that 4-3 game - it would have been about 10 years before his time.

Halifax had 4 different goalscorers in a 4-3 win 21 April 1990.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 23, 2017, 07:36:39 am by 1879Rovers »
Sad but true, but any part time fans we could have hoped for are probably watching either of the Sheffield clubs or Leeds because they are also doing reasonably well.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 23, 2017, 08:02:26 am by balbyrover »
Sad but true, but any part time fans we could have hoped for are probably watching either of the Sheffield clubs or Leeds because they are also doing reasonably well.

Agreed. We've missed a generation of supporters. It will take years of success to build our attendances.
Not a 5 month spell at the top of league two.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 23, 2017, 08:08:47 am by GazLaz »

Agreed. We've missed a generation of supporters. It will take years of success to build our attendances.
Not a 5 month spell at the top of league two.

People have been using that excuse for 20 years now, although it's very true I think attendances are slightly lower than they should be.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 23, 2017, 08:42:35 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's no point looking too deep into attendances because we know there are people out there who know where the ground is, who have been regulars or occasionals before. Many of those may have turned out for the Stoke game last season.

Lowering ticket prices would have minimal effect and thinking the shortfall in income would me made up with additional concourse sales is false as Rovers don't take all the profit from these.

The pricing doesn't prevent people attending. The average price people pay now is less than than what is has been for the majority of the time we've been at the Keepmoat. Buying tickets/gaining entry is easier than it ever has been.

For what ever reason, people have dropped off the bandwaggon through disappointment or apathy or other factors. Should we gain promotion, it will be interesting to see how sales increase.

As far as announcing attendances go, it certainly scuppered our Guess the Attendance sweepstake. Many times though you can hear folk saying it must be a fiddle thinking there were more in attendance than announced. In the scheme of things, does it really matter?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 23, 2017, 09:06:27 am by drfchound »
It isn't just about floating fans going to see other teams in the area.
Over the last few years people have had far more alternative options of what they can get up to on a Saturday instead of going to the football.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 23, 2017, 09:57:37 am by Herbert Anchovy »
If match day attendances are the type of thing that really make your p*ss boil then I'm afraid that Donny Rovers are not going to be the team for you. This has been an 'issue' for some folk for as long as I can remember. For example in the promotion season of 1983/84 people were regularly asking why our attendances weren't higher than they were. It is what it is. Plus, if you think that they're bad now then you should have been at Belle Vue when there were about 1200 in it (and this was at a time when the ground capacity was 20+ thousand). With the exception of a handful of clubs, I'm sure that if you ask all supporters they would say that they're disappointed by their teams attendances.

What's more important for me is the Quality of the support as opposed to the Quantity. Going back to the days of 1200 in attendance at Belle Vue, whilst the place could often be like a morgue there were some occasions when those 1200 fans made the place absolutely rocking. Equally, I've been to the Keepmoat when I've thought that the atmosphere was absolutely fantastic too. On the flip side, I've been in some full football stadiums where the atmosphere has been terrible. A Hull City supporting pal of mine once told me that during their second season in the Premier league they were having to pump crowd noises over the PA system at the KCOM in an attempt to drum up some kind of atmosphere and this was in front of a packed stadium.

So, while we'd all like to see the Rovers playing in front of a full stadium at every home match we have to accept that we're on league 2 (albeit doing extremely well) and we've had a couple of very disappointing seasons but history tells us that success will bring the fans back.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 23, 2017, 11:43:41 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Some good observations there particularly the sub 2000 crowds at BV.

As you say about the atmospheres, it's not driven by quantity, it's driven by engagement in the match. It was noticeable last Saturday, as the crowd turned on the ref, there was a gradual build up hence when May scored, we went mental and thereafter the crowd was well and truly willing the team on more vocally.

There was even a brief chant and clap witnessed in the West Stand Saga Barmy Army!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 23, 2017, 07:57:43 pm by not on facebook »
Can't believe that nobody from the BV days is not going to mention
the number of times that the crowd that was announced near end of whatever game,many times to be thounsands out by what you and all yer mates had guessed .

"Iam sure there was more than 4200 there today" for club to announce that there was 2997 in attendance .

Something was going on back then for sure .

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 23, 2017, 09:54:43 pm by Goole Rover »
Can't believe that nobody from the BV days is not going to mention
the number of times that the crowd that was announced near end of whatever game,many times to be thounsands out by what you and all yer mates had guessed .

"Iam sure there was more than 4200 there today" for club to announce that there was 2997 in attendance .

Something was going on back then for sure .
I remember the Burnley League Cup game when the crowd was a remarkable 24,999. Something to do with tax at 25,000 ?

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 23, 2017, 10:21:41 pm by CantleyRed »
3000 was a good crowd in those days.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 24, 2017, 04:03:43 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The atmosphere at Belle vue was crap we only got good attendances mostly if it was a big cup tie and then it took the team doing something before the crowd got going. We are an ex conference side who has had almost continual ups and very few downs. The novelty has worn off for some who were looking for a game at a good standard seeing us one league below the top. Trips to Accrington and Newport at home don't have the allure for some to part with their cash.
Our crowds are decent but disappointing compared to the recent past but compared to when we regularly played in this league our crowds are very good. If the side keeps improving slowly a lot will come back others are lost forever to other things they want to do.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 24, 2017, 06:28:57 am by Donnywolf »
It isn't just about floating fans going to see other teams in the area.
Over the last few years people have had far more alternative options of what they can get up to on a Saturday instead of going to the football.

:that:

People just have other better things to do - times have moved on and a generation or two are lost to Football - not just Rovers. I said as much in this post amazingly back in Feb 2012 ! Time flies. Hopefully I will be around to trot it out again 10 Feb 2022 !!!

I still think with the LOWEST prices the Club (and indeed any other Clubs) could sustain the attendances are still going to stay low and fall more as time goes by

When I was a kid and just after I started work Football was the lifeblood of the workplace - it was a kind of Club you just fell into ***(or lots of people anyway) and today I dont think it happens that way any more

There are too many other attractions taking too many people away from Football - as an example just think of Junction 4 on the M18 and how that Moto Cross thing has multiplied. It started along where Ikea is now and gradually grew over 10 or more years and look at it now stacked FULL of 35000 ish quid Motorhomes and god knows how many Bikes

The people are lost to Soccer cos they are a) choosing that pastime and b) would probably have less in the budget to go to Footy EVEN if they had the time

OK I am not suggesting THEY are fans lost to Rovers cos they obviously come a fair way with those palaces on wheels but I use it as ONLY an example of what is happening up and down the country - and they are spurning whoever is their local team

Add to them the people who are hooked on Footy via TV watching who pay for Sky etc and get to stay warm dry and get (lets face it) a lot better view of the action with all the Cameras and technology and it continues to get worse

Ok - thats a couple of \"no shit Sherlock\" statements but I believe them to be valid

*** AND think back to how big gates across Football were in say the 60s and what the overall population was and how low they have fallen to now and the overall population now - in percentage terms it must indicate a REAL SLUMP

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:32:47 am by Donnywolf »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 24, 2017, 08:11:36 am by hoolahoop »
I have noticed recently that plenty of my customers have been asking me about the Rovers and showing an interest now that we are doing well.
Over the last few home games an odd one or two have told me they had attended a match and only today two told me they were going on Saturday.
There is a definite lift in interest just now.
As has been said though, L2 isn't such a big pull for occasional fans, although i think we did have the biggest L2 crowd last Saturday.

Hmm I've noticed this myself just walking in to the pub after a game now bring interest when they see you wearing your colours. People are far more inclined to ask " how did we do mate or did we win then ? "
My reply " get yourself down and for yourself "

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 24, 2017, 12:39:34 pm by not on facebook »
Funny you should mention rovers talk in pubs within the non footballing public.

Brought my eldest 9 years old across for his first two Doncaster games this season .the Cambridge utd and Barnet home games whatever way they was round.

I never have worn rovers club colours but me lad was begging me for a rovers shirt ,so picked one up for him some days before his first game.

We went into the little plough pub after nipping round shops in town centre and every time he saw another rovers shirt he get excited.

Sat in the plough having a pre match pint and he was made up when some old dear asked him "are you going to the rovers today"
As she shouted across the bar from her table.

My lad was made and went across to sit and speak to her and The Whole back bar got involved a rovers topic of conservation for next 15 mins .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012