Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:59:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pitch  (Read 4698 times)

Capmeister

• Forum Member
Pitch
« on February 25, 2017, 10:58:22 pm by Capmeister »
.......was nearly as bad as Newport. Bertie Bobble and Captain Bounce. You can tell rugby's back!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

eastender

• VSC Member
Re: Pitch
« Reply #1 on February 26, 2017, 12:12:48 am by eastender »
Really ?  :facepalm:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 26, 2017, 12:50:19 am by RedJ »
.......was nearly as bad as Newport. Bertie Bobble and Captain Bounce. You can tell rugby's back!

You do realise football does more damage to the pitch than the rugby. The guy who used to be groundsman has said so on more than one occasion.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 26, 2017, 01:16:41 am by Copps is Magic »
Easy theory to disprove.

It might have something to do with us now being at the back end of winter; i.e very little sunlight for months, storm Dorris and the rest of it - slowly taking it's toll.

Or it could be the rugby.

We'll find out sooner than later of course, because a) the weather will get better and b) the rugby season will be in full-swing.

One factor changes and one stays the same. So you'll have a broadly accurate answer. I know what my monies on.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 26, 2017, 08:27:17 am by RedJ »
Well unless I'm missing your point... not really, as most pitches tend to deteriorate towards the end of the season, especially in the lower leagues.

Our pitch isn't even that bad at the moment anyway.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 26, 2017, 08:29:44 am by wilts rover »
Surely the reason Coventry, Bristol City and Wigan are doing so poorly this season (there was a lot of fuss over the Wigan RL game being cancelled and then rearranged on Friday because that pitch couldn't sustain two matches in two days) although it doesnt explain why Huddersfield are doing so well or Swansea and Hull's current resurgence?

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 26, 2017, 09:22:35 am by Capmeister »

Yes.........really! You were obviously at Rodney Parade eastender.

Was on a tour of the ground before the game and we walked round the pitch. It's like alopechia in places. The announcer who does the tour gave the ball a bounce and it was similar to those old plastic pitches. Making it harder to control. People will say it's same for both teams and you have to adapt but suited Stanley's long ball game better.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 26, 2017, 09:35:46 am by Capmeister »

You do realise football does more damage to the pitch than the rugby. The guy who used to be groundsman has said so on more than one occasion.

Why?

ballysbackin

« Reply #8 on February 26, 2017, 09:36:14 am by ballysbackin »
Considering over the last three matches most of the time, the ball has been in the air a ploy employed by the visitors to stop Donny's game. Doe not matter if it is bad or not, if you can't play on that pitch you should not be a footballer

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 26, 2017, 10:07:39 am by deebee »
I still think its too hard, the bounce often fools lots of players. The plastic element also makes it very slippy and I believe has contributed to some injuries to players.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 26, 2017, 10:10:46 am by StocktonRover »
From my seat at the back of the West stand, the pitch looked fine.
At half time I went down towards pitch side to talk to someone and noticed just how sparse the grass is.
It looked flat enough but certainly wasn't like a lush lawn.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 26, 2017, 10:29:10 am by RedJ »

Why?

I don't know, I'm not a groundsman...

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 26, 2017, 10:46:59 am by Copps is Magic »
Well unless I'm missing your point... not really, as most pitches tend to deteriorate towards the end of the season, especially in the lower leagues.

Our pitch isn't even that bad at the moment anyway.

Yes, Kind of.

The pitches get better with the weather, they generally don't deteriorate towards the end of the season. I don't know where you've got that notion from. Perhaps years and years of misguided posts on here saying the rugby is cutting up the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZOIhwHhy_w

Look at the pitch against Burton, last game of the season last year. Rugby season in full swing, winter over. You do the maths.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 26, 2017, 10:48:26 am by glosterred »
How can 26 rugby players or how many it is, running up and down as they do not do damage to the pitch? Whether that is more or less damage than football, the more you play on it the worse it will get.

COYR

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 26, 2017, 10:52:31 am by Copps is Magic »
For starters I'd be worried why the 4 others players weren't running. (you made a quick edit, congrats)

Secondly, it depends on what you mean be 'damage'. If you knock a whole in a wall you have to repair the damage. If you knock a divet in grass this thing called nature tends to grow the f**ker back.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 26, 2017, 10:57:49 am by swintonrover »
Rugby is played over a full pitch. Notice where pitches deteriorate. Goalmouth, centre circle. High density areas in football. Has anybody here played Park football on a pitch where the six yard box has grass in it?

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 26, 2017, 10:58:18 am by glosterred »
It depends how much time between games you have to repair it and nature to do its business as well. It's simple the more you use it, irrespective of sport the worse it will get. But let's not forget at this time of year the covers are kept on the pitch for long periods and therefore it doesn't get the light it needs to grow and recover properly.

COYR

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 26, 2017, 11:46:19 am by DD »
No doubt at all pitch was very poor today. Cut too short on sparse grass made it bobbly - at half time I watched the subs practising - and the ball doesn't run "sweetly" when passed along the surface - it jumps! Doesn't help us at all. Need to let it grow a bit. This has happened before.

ballysbackin

« Reply #18 on February 26, 2017, 11:52:43 am by ballysbackin »
Well now we have another reason for the poor results of late....The Pitch....

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 26, 2017, 12:04:54 pm by DD »
Pitch is not an excuse - we were @@@@ poor day - but the pitch doesn't help our passing game - why make things difficult? Stanley were one of worst sides at km this season & we didn't win - so look at all reasons that happened & see which can be addressed

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 26, 2017, 12:06:54 pm by johnny rovers »

Yes.........really! You were obviously at Rodney Parade eastender.

Was on a tour of the ground before the game and we walked round the pitch. It's like alopechia in places. The announcer who does the tour gave the ball a bounce and it was similar to those old plastic pitches. Making it harder to control. People will say it's same for both teams and you have to adapt but suited Stanley's long ball game better.

The difference between Rodney parade and the keepmoat is there are not one but two rugby union teams playing at Rodney parade over a winter season. On average there are two games a week from August until may at this ground.This hasn't been the case with the keepmoat, the dons season has only just got underway and as previous posters have said there is bound to be some wear to the pitch due to no sun light during the winter months. The pitch held up really well throughout the whole of last season with rovers, belles and the dons playing on the keepmoat pitch.

Finally, don't don't be fooled into the trap that rugby league effects pitches in the same way as rugby union pitches, it's obvious it doesn't due to the huge scrums  and rolling mauls in rugby union
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:13:56 pm by johnny rovers »

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 26, 2017, 12:07:26 pm by Goole Rover »
Agree Mick, it's the same for both teams, also the home team should be better equipped to deal with it. The top and bottom of it is that the opposition are getting wise to our style and stopping the flow.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 26, 2017, 01:04:26 pm by i_ateallthepies »
It depends how much time between games you have to repair it and nature to do its business as well. It's simple the more you use it, irrespective of sport the worse it will get. But let's not forget at this time of year the covers are kept on the pitch for long periods and therefore it doesn't get the light it needs to grow and recover properly.

COYR

Spot on glosser, the sparsity of the pitch is almost entirely due to the covers this season.  But don't let anyone tell you that football does more damage than rugby, that's just bollox.  Certainly Union is more damaging than League for the reasons jonny rovers gave.

And, we shouldn't blame oppositions for their headwall tactics, we were every bit as bad as they were for keeping it going.  The only player who seemed to have the sense (confidence?) to get the ball down was Alcock.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 26, 2017, 01:27:45 pm by RedJ »

COYR

Spot on glosser, the sparsity of the pitch is almost entirely due to the covers this season.  But don't let anyone tell you that football does more damage than rugby, that's just bollox.  Certainly Union is more damaging than League for the reasons jonny rovers gave.

Yeah sorry I forgot they played Union on the Keepmoat pitch. :silly:

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 26, 2017, 01:31:09 pm by deebee »
They don,t it's League.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 26, 2017, 01:43:32 pm by German Rover »
The problem at Newport was caused primarily by the drainage not being maintained and becoming blocked, leading to there being no where for the water to go. Admittedly playing 3 sports on one pitch will not have helped matters but the drainage was the biggest issue

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 26, 2017, 01:46:51 pm by johnny rovers »
The problem at Newport was caused primarily by the drainage not being maintained and becoming blocked, leading to there being no where for the water to go. Admittedly playing 3 sports on one pitch will not have helped matters but the drainage was the biggest issue

Quite right!! There have been 25 games of union combined from both the rugby teams and 20 football matches from August up until our recent fixture a couple of weeks ago

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 26, 2017, 02:08:12 pm by RedJ »
They don,t it's League.

...would've thought the smiley would give away the fact that I was being sarcastic but apparently not.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 26, 2017, 03:52:09 pm by roversdude »
Pitch was same for both sides so can't be used as an excuse
There do appear to be visible bare lines all across the pitch

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 26, 2017, 03:59:05 pm by phil o sophical »
I still think its too hard, the bounce often fools lots of players. The plastic element also makes it very slippy and I believe has contributed to some injuries to players.

That's something I can never understand is how many of our players let the ball bounce rather than move towards it and get their foot on it. We are the home team , it should not fool our players they ought to know what the pitch is like

TinyPortal © 2005-2012