Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:14:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Unbeaten Home Runs  (Read 2032 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Unbeaten Home Runs
« on February 26, 2017, 06:16:04 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Our current run, now stretching to 20 games, is now the fourth longest in our history for league games. Our longest unbeaten home runs in the league are:

33 games - the last 11 of 1931-32, all 21 of 1932-33 and the first 1 game of 1933-34.
23 games - the last 18 of 1946-47 and the first 5 of 1947-48
21 games - the last 14 of 1968-69 and the first 7 of 1969-70

We have also had two runs of 19 matches unbeaten at home.

Beginning to clutch at straws for positives. I still think we will go up, but we certainly lost a chance to take pressure off ourselves. Here's to a couple of away wins this week......
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:00:18 pm by Dutch Uncle »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Unbeaten Home Runs
« Reply #1 on February 26, 2017, 09:58:14 pm by idler »
I wonder if the worry of losing for the first time this season at home is getting to the players. Maybe holding back a little rather than risking a bit of a gamble on winning.
We haven't had much help from the officials lately either.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 26, 2017, 10:09:26 pm by Campsall rover »
I wonder if the worry of losing for the first time this season at home is getting to the players. Maybe holding back a little rather than risking a bit of a gamble on winning.
We haven't had much help from the officials lately either.
" We haven't had much help from the officials lately.""  That Idler is the biggest understatement of the season to date. The officials at Newport and at home to Luton and Accrington have been nothing short of being totally incompatant. :crying

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 28, 2017, 03:08:30 am by Sammy Chung was King »
What i was talking about a bit ago is happening to us now in home games we are so desperate to hold onto the unbeaten record that draws are appearing more often the team is just maintaining what it has rather than risking enough to win the game.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 28, 2017, 02:57:32 pm by drfchound »
I doubt very much that during a game any of the players are thinking about the unbeaten home record and therefore protecting that rather than trying to win a match.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 28, 2017, 03:10:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
What i was talking about a bit ago is happening to us now in home games we are so desperate to hold onto the unbeaten record that draws are appearing more often the team is just maintaining what it has rather than risking enough to win the game.

Are you suggesting that the two or three sitters we missed on Saturday were intentional so as to hold on to our unbeaten home record?

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 28, 2017, 04:02:21 pm by bobbymax »
Yes, we've really sat back and settled for a point in the closing stages of recent home games! Sorry Sammy, but that's utter rubbish!

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 28, 2017, 04:17:46 pm by Syme »
I think Sammy could have a point. You can't just focus on the chances we missed. You have to think about the possibility that we may have created more chances if we'd taken a few more risks elsewhere in the game - but the mindset, perhaps subconciously, was to err on the side of caution at times.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 28, 2017, 06:34:13 pm by andysly »
These unbeaten runs can get into players heads. I've noticed a few more of the interviews popping up referencing it.
Remember Huddersfield a few years back, long unbeaten run but so many draws towards the end of it.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 28, 2017, 07:48:04 pm by IDM »
No I am sorry.  The players' focus will be on winning the game, regardless of the unbeaten home run.

If not, then they want sacking!!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 28, 2017, 08:27:39 pm by idler »
IDM it can be subconscious  though.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012