Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:07:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Which do you class THE local derby

Rotherham
66 (44.3%)
Barnsley
25 (16.8%)
Scunthorpe
22 (14.8%)
Sheff Utd
3 (2%)
Sheff Wed
3 (2%)
Leeds
29 (19.5%)
Other
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: Most disliked 'derby' neighbour  (Read 4524 times)

RedRover45

• Forum Member
Most disliked 'derby' neighbour
« on March 20, 2017, 01:54:38 pm by RedRover45 »
Ok, this has been debated over the years, and in all probability depends on a voters age and probably whereabouts in Donny we live but with Rotherham and hopefully Scunny being potential opponents next season, let's see which of the local derbies is most appealing and which neighbour we dislike the most.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
Re: Most disliked 'derby' neighbour
« Reply #1 on March 20, 2017, 01:59:47 pm by Herman Hessian »
that'll teach  me to take so long to put posts together !

however, I will gladly share the extensive background material that would have gone alongside the straight choice between Barnsley and Rotherham...

bear in mind that (rather surprisingly) we have a much better record against Barnsley, so historically we'll have had far more fun ripping it out of their cretinous, six-fingered followers, plus Gough, Parkinson and Bird are despicable individuals in spite of what they may have done for YCCC over the years

Rotherham, of course, are just a bit of a joke, quite why Steve Evans was ever allowed to leave his spiritual home is a travesty - and do they have any "celebrity fans" apart from the chuckle twäts and any number of high profile child abusers ?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 20, 2017, 02:05:22 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Probably the era that I first went regular to games and also being from NW Donny, Barnsley will always be "THE" derby for me, but I can't say I hate the club or even the fans as much as a few of the others on that list.

Lincoln was another one that featured.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 20, 2017, 02:08:52 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I honestly can't decide because I treat them all with equal contempt

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 20, 2017, 02:28:17 pm by not on facebook »
Rotherham bas**rd united

Close the thread

Could put up many battles with them over the years but it's not the right place

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 20, 2017, 02:33:35 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I'd say our biggest rivals are Scunthorpe/Rotherham then Barnsley. I hate Sheff Weds and Leeds due to their fans in our town and I don't care if they drop down the leagues. Our main rivals though I want to do as well as us. I want as many games against them as possible but I want us to always finish at least one place above them and do the double over them.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 20, 2017, 02:56:48 pm by not on facebook »
Who was the main rivals when rovers dropped into the conference ,surely not Scarborough?

Was it more far afield with likes of yeovil or rushden diamonds .

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 20, 2017, 03:01:15 pm by esdailles left foot »
Blunts are Kitson's of the highest order.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 20, 2017, 03:03:08 pm by Mike_F »
That's a good question, Oslo.

In those days, geography became less important in building the rivalries. Rushden and Chester were probably the two biggest rivals for me. Boston also featured in the list.

Back on the original topic, Scunthorpe got my vote due to the amount of times we've played them since I started going in 1994. For many years after that we didn't play a competitive game against Rotherham so I had nothing to go on. The fact that we usually beat Scunthorpe and they clearly hate us makes it even better.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 20, 2017, 03:09:52 pm by drfchound »
It just has to be leeds.
They are the ones who get up everyones nose the most.
The Blunts fans think they are too big a club for L1 but apart from that nob, brian the blade, they are not too bad a set of fans.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 20, 2017, 03:24:47 pm by Mike_F »
If I was going for most disliked clubs I would pick Man United, Wendies and Leeds because they were the clubs that many of my contemporaries at school chose to "support" instead of their home team.

I don't think of Leeds as a derby though. We've played them far too infrequently for that. They also don't give a monkey's about us which makes it a hollow derby.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 20, 2017, 03:55:27 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Barnsley will ALWAYS be the derby for me. Don't hate their fans, but I love the banter with them.
Lincoln would be a real local one for me, being 10 mins up the road, but nothing will ever replace Dingles v Donny for me. Whenever we're in the same league, it's the first one I look for.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 20, 2017, 04:09:12 pm by drfchound »
The thread title is most disliked derby neighbour.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 20, 2017, 04:29:12 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Disliked .... could mean the team you loathe losing to.The general consensus is against me, so I'll accept that.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 20, 2017, 04:46:31 pm by Herman Hessian »

good luck on unambiguously defining what constitutes a derby then, fella....

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 20, 2017, 05:28:39 pm by RoversAlias »
It has to be Rotherham doesn't it? Our biggest rival, the one we hold so much disdain for and vice versa. I'd say them, Barnsley and Scunny are our only 'proper' rivals and whilst I can't stand the Dingle lot, we haven't spent a great deal of time together at the same level of the pyramid. Scunny I feel are a bit more 'on our level' in terms of the club background, fanbase and such so maybe the animosity isn't as bad, but they are still a big rival and it is for me personally my favourite local derby.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 20, 2017, 05:51:01 pm by RedJ »
Hard choice between Barnsley, Scunny and Rotherham but went for the Millers in the end. Kitsons.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 20, 2017, 06:01:17 pm by RedRover45 »
Some interesting responses and I have to agree that the three main ones are Rotherham, Scunthorpe and Barnsley.
For me personally I have spent most of my life in Scawthorpe and Swinton so I guess that kind of rules out Scunny and as we more often than not beat them, I tend to look on them with pity more than hatred, but I fully understand people from East Donny hating them more.
The results have been pretty equal with Barnsley but we had a long period of not playing them so maybe that has tempered the dislike slightly. I think as a town and a team they are very similar to us in size.
Which leaves Rotherham. Growing up, my formative years was spent losing to them particularly at Millmoor on a yearly basis. I think we lost about 11 out of 12 there, the only notable day when we beat them 3-2 which is one of my favourite football days ever. They always seemed to beat us fairly regularly at home too whether it be by a poxy 1-0 or thrash us convincingly.
Now, their fans. Such a cocky obnoxious, arse-end of Sheffield attitude that particularly living in Swinton for decades has made me positively despise everything about them.
So for me personally, it's them. Now fetch on next season, it's long long overdue to kick their arses big time.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:06:56 pm by RedRover45 »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 20, 2017, 09:19:56 pm by drfchound »

Well Herman, despite the put down, what I wrote is fact.
Seemingly, Leeds are the second choice on here of most disliked derby neighbour.
......fella.

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 20, 2017, 09:29:02 pm by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »
No prizes for guessing who my vote went to ;-)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 20, 2017, 09:29:54 pm by normal rules »
Whilst it may be in a different county, those of an age will remember trips to Sincil bank as being feisty affairs. It has been many years since rovers and Lincoln have locked horns on a regular league basis but surely they should be on the list.

Dn11

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 20, 2017, 09:41:48 pm by Dn11 »
Scunthorpe and Barnsley for me, blunts also annoy me due too working with loads of them

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 20, 2017, 09:58:39 pm by Herman Hessian »

Well Herman, despite the put down, what I wrote is fact.
Seemingly, Leeds are the second choice on here of most disliked derby neighbour.
......fella.

oooh - someone's touchy !

my post wasn't meant to be in any way derogatory (and if i want to couch something as a put down, it's not likely to be open to misinterpretation to be fair) - all i meant was that if you were nit-picking over what constitutes a derby, you'll have a hard time as it seem to always provoke disagreement on any number of levels - I actually thought you were taking issue with the mention of Lincoln in that capacity...

FWIW i think for a derby to be remotely meaningful it has to have some real siginificance for the supporters of both sides involved every time the two teams meet (ie not just crying when getting embarassed at wembley), the white shite and either set of pigs simply don't give a flying one about us in the great scheme of things, and probably get no more vexed or gleeful at getting their arses handed to them or winning against us as they do any other game. obviously the yorkshire post tend to get terribly excited any time that two teams from the county meet, and said matches tend to involve a good turn out and decent atmosphere simply because of the reduced travelling for away fans, but i doubt whether there are fewer than twenty or so other teams that leeds fans would name as being more significant rivals that rovers (bearing in mind that they still have delusions of grandeur and still rank united, chelsea and the like as still bearing some sort of relevance to their existence for some bizarre reason)

the OP probably hit the nail on the head saying that a respondants age has a lot to do with his answer to the question of who's considered to be our real derby day opposition; when i was a nipper it was barnsley that seemed to draw the biggest crowds to BV - Rotherham always seemed to be a division or two higher than us; with the demographic of the forum posters now consisting of more folk whose memories consist more of championship games against leeds over the last decade, it's only natural that they perceive them as "proper" rivals, hence their "popularity" (sic) in the voting

but then i just write shite most of the time, so i wdnt get too vexed about it

sport...

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 20, 2017, 10:11:22 pm by Herman Hessian »
quite an interesting comparison actually as to who we played most and when (in the league)

70's  barnsley 16 games; rotherham 6

80's  barnsley none - rotherham 10

90's  barnsley none - rotheram 6

00's  barnsley 8 games - rotherham 4

10's barnsley 10 games - rotherham 0

leeds - eight games since 2007 (plus three cup games and the play off final); nothing before that for 50 years !

i think rotherham have done well to keep us interested given their abject lack of relevance over the last three decades - much easier to see why leeds having become more significant of late...

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 20, 2017, 10:39:52 pm by normal rules »
Doncaster have played Lincoln about 112 times in league fixtures since 1901. Thats over 50 seasons together

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 20, 2017, 10:43:02 pm by normal rules »
V Barnsley it's 74 in the league since 1901

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 20, 2017, 10:45:36 pm by normal rules »
V Rotherham United it's 82 games since 1925.

Pre 1925 there were known as Rotherham county.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 20, 2017, 10:47:53 pm by normal rules »
64 times v Scunthorpe, that's close to half that against Lincoln.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 20, 2017, 10:49:52 pm by normal rules »
Just 35 games against the blades

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 20, 2017, 10:51:52 pm by normal rules »
And only 19 against the wendies

TinyPortal © 2005-2012