Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:09:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Which do you class THE local derby

Rotherham
66 (44.3%)
Barnsley
25 (16.8%)
Scunthorpe
22 (14.8%)
Sheff Utd
3 (2%)
Sheff Wed
3 (2%)
Leeds
29 (19.5%)
Other
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: Most disliked 'derby' neighbour  (Read 4523 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Most disliked 'derby' neighbour
« Reply #30 on March 20, 2017, 10:57:26 pm by normal rules »
So whilst the thread is about dislike, it's difficult to justify dislike without history between clubs. Any dislike generated against the likes of Wednesday or blades must be based on recent experience by younger supporters only, plus a prejudice against bigger clubs.

I'll stick by my first comment, although not a geographical Derby, Lincoln city for me would be the team with the historical pedigree for local competition and dislike. My dad, who watched rovers through the sixties, seventies and eighties would no doubt agree. the pre season friendly recently showed that some have not forgotten this.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:59:44 pm by normal rules »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 20, 2017, 11:01:58 pm by normal rules »
It's a shame that next year we appear destined not to re acquaint the league rivalry with both teams looking at promotion. It will come though and I anticipate within 5 years they will lock horns again in the league.

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 20, 2017, 11:13:56 pm by auckleyflyer »
No 1 no.question is rotten scum location, times played and its like an younger shitter brother.
After that since the eighties Mansfield has always been fun but notts county??? Too far! York?? Only good because of the piss up??
Ist an un question really the three closest even if not often played.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 21, 2017, 06:55:20 am by normal rules »
Another team - hull, when they were at the old boothferry pasrk - played 49 times.

And middlesborough when there were part of the old north riding of yorkshire - played 24 times.

im talking different generations now though......

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 21, 2017, 07:59:01 am by drfchound »
The thread title is most disliked derby neighbour.

good luck on unambiguously defining what constitutes a derby then, fella....

Well Herman, despite the put down, what I wrote is fact.
Seemingly, Leeds are the second choice on here of most disliked derby neighbour.
......fella.

oooh - someone's touchy !

my post wasn't meant to be in any way derogatory (and if i want to couch something as a put down, it's not likely to be open to misinterpretation to be fair) - all i meant was that if you were nit-picking over what constitutes a derby, you'll have a hard time as it seem to always provoke disagreement on any number of levels - I actually thought you were taking issue with the mention of Lincoln in that capacity...

FWIW i think for a derby to be remotely meaningful it has to have some real siginificance for the supporters of both sides involved every time the two teams meet (ie not just crying when getting embarassed at wembley), the white shite and either set of pigs simply don't give a flying one about us in the great scheme of things, and probably get no more vexed or gleeful at getting their arses handed to them or winning against us as they do any other game. obviously the yorkshire post tend to get terribly excited any time that two teams from the county meet, and said matches tend to involve a good turn out and decent atmosphere simply because of the reduced travelling for away fans, but i doubt whether there are fewer than twenty or so other teams that leeds fans would name as being more significant rivals that rovers (bearing in mind that they still have delusions of grandeur and still rank united, chelsea and the like as still bearing some sort of relevance to their existence for some bizarre reason)

the OP probably hit the nail on the head saying that a respondants age has a lot to do with his answer to the question of who's considered to be our real derby day opposition; when i was a nipper it was barnsley that seemed to draw the biggest crowds to BV - Rotherham always seemed to be a division or two higher than us; with the demographic of the forum posters now consisting of more folk whose memories consist more of championship games against leeds over the last decade, it's only natural that they perceive them as "proper" rivals, hence their "popularity" (sic) in the voting

but then i just write shite most of the time, so i wdnt get too vexed about it

sport...

Touche then Herman, apologies for the misinterpretation, easy done though as you thought i was referring to Lincoln who i hadn't even thought about.
I was simply noting what the thread was entitled and had chosen from the clubs listed in the poll which actually doesn't even include Lincoln.
Also, i should point out that i am 64 years old so am not considering my choice based on the games against leeds since the turn of the century.
I first went to the Rovers in 1962 and well remember matches against Barnsley and Rotherham back then.
I also accept that the likes of leeds, Wendies and Blunts fans probably don't give a monkeys about us but still stick to my original response that leeds are my most disliked derby neighbour.
........buddy.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on March 21, 2017, 09:03:31 am by Herman Hessian »
i am 64 years old

ahhh - those games against gainsborough trinity and burton swifts in a roped-off field at the institute in front of 145,000 - could swear as much as you liked because all the locals were deaf, and we all swapped woodbines and flat caps with a cheery smile, and the closest we got to european football was standing up to our necks in mud for twenty five hours a day in a trench at the ypres salient before being shot dead by our own artillery - proper derbies, they were - not like this poof's stuff they get worked up about nowadays....

;)

PopStander

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 21, 2017, 09:06:25 am by PopStander »
1. Rotherscum
2. Scumthorpe
3. Barnsley
4. Sheff Utd
5. Leeds
6. Sheff Wed

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 21, 2017, 05:04:55 pm by normal rules »
seems we have only played Grimsby 41 times in league comps too, soon to be 42.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 21, 2017, 06:35:44 pm by hamiltonrover »
As a fan who started attending in the 80's it has to be the Millers, they were the first derbies I attended, Ray Deans scoring at Millmoor a particular memory, as we moved into the 90's and Rotherham generally sat in the leagues above us, Scunthorpe were the new rival. In modern times we have played Wednesday, United and Leeds, none of these teams I would consider rivals, although I despise Leeds with a passion, I would put York, Lincoln and Mansfield ahead in the rivals stakes of the Sheffield teams and Leeds.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 21, 2017, 07:40:11 pm by Padge_DRFC »
The thread title is different to the question. I picked Leeds as I hate them the most because of all the cretins from Doncaster. Then again based on that it's a local derby half of donny supports them

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on March 21, 2017, 07:55:51 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
The thread title is different to the question. I picked Leeds as I hate them the most because of all the cretins from Doncaster. Then again based on that it's a local derby half of donny supports them

Half of Donny supports them? How do you work that out then?

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 21, 2017, 08:01:14 pm by Padge_DRFC »
You not seen Donny platform when they're at home? Pubs when in Donny when they're on sky?

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 21, 2017, 08:14:28 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
You not seen Donny platform when they're at home? Pubs when in Donny when they're on sky?

Yes I have. There's a fair few of them, but I can personally vouch that it's no different from a number of places in Yorkshire. York, Hull & Huddersfield to name 3. But half of Donny? No chance.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 21, 2017, 08:56:48 pm by not on facebook »
There was no donnywhites to be seen on donny train station in the 1980s when all the Chelsea lot filled up all leeds bound trains from London kings X via donny.

Unless they was on pre 09:30 trains from donny which is possible.

Saying that recall sitting on one packed Leeds bound train from kings X.it was that packed Chelsea fans were up in the luggage racks and the window  and carriage that I was sat against got petrol bombed 3times as our train pulled into Wakefield west gate .

That was serious shit ,but we all had a good laugh about it.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 21, 2017, 09:47:30 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
There was no donnywhites to be seen on donny train station in the 1980s when all the Chelsea lot filled up all leeds bound trains from London kings X via donny.

Unless they was on pre 09:30 trains from donny which is possible.

Saying that recall sitting on one packed Leeds bound train from kings X.it was that packed Chelsea fans were up in the luggage racks and the window  and carriage that I was sat against got petrol bombed 3times as our train pulled into Wakefield west gate .

That was serious shit ,but we all had a good laugh about it.

You laughed about it!?! Blimey mate, who were you with? The SAS? I'd have been a gibbering wreck!!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on March 21, 2017, 09:54:17 pm by not on facebook »
Just a carriage full of chelsea mates .

When the window was on fire some Chelsea face shouted out "facking typical Leeds can only fight with petrol bombs and not their fists"

which type of broke the tension and all and sundry burst out laughing .

The look on the poor normall British rail passengers was stressing and the Chelsea lot saw this and got busy moving them into a different carriage.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 21, 2017, 10:38:48 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

When the window was on fire some Chelsea face shouted out "facking typical Leeds can only fight with petrol bombs and not their fists"

The look on the poor normall British rail passengers was stressing and the Chelsea lot saw this and got busy moving them into a different carriage.

Oh I see, cheers mate!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 21, 2017, 10:49:20 pm by not on facebook »

Oh I see, cheers mate!

The sad thing about this act ,was that the three leeds fans that were seen throwing  a petrol bomb each that hit our carriage all then ran off into a near by local pub at Wakefield west gate .

They was overheard by the local landlord  talking about what they have just done,he called to police and months down the line all 3 received a jail sentence.

One of the poor leeds chaps hung himself in Preston nick .

Then it's not funny anymore.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 21, 2017, 10:50:05 pm by Standanista »
As a Conisbrough lad who started watching Rovers in 1981 it's a no-brainer for me: Rotherham every time.  I've no doubt that many whose first games were in the 1970s will feel similar about Barnsley.

York was a strong local rivalry in the Division 4 promotion season, but I always felt there was mutual respect between the clubs.  Rotherham on the other hand has always been a needle match.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on March 21, 2017, 10:54:49 pm by not on facebook »
As a Conisbrough lad who started watching Rovers in 1981 it's a no-brainer for me: Rotherham every time.  I've no doubt that many whose first games were in the 1970s will feel similar about Barnsley.

York was a strong local rivalry in the Division 4 promotion season, but I always felt there was mutual respect between the clubs.  Rotherham on the other hand has always been a needle match.

You must have known deno a rovers lad from your neck of the woods ,last seen living in Dorset.

The Rotherham lot could never handle him.

If anyone was ever at Hereford when the two rovers mad monks were in the Hereford seats  step forward mr deno and his side kick Paz.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on March 22, 2017, 12:42:56 am by andysly »
Not as local as some on this thread. But I can't bear Nottingham f**king Forest.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on March 22, 2017, 09:40:24 am by idler »
That's possibly an age thing. I remember seeing Forest absolutely destroy Leeds in a league cup semi-final first leg at Elland Rd.
Cloughie had them playing great fast free flowing football that was a joy to watch.
He also got them to win two European Cups as well.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on March 22, 2017, 12:55:30 pm by andysly »
I'm 52 Idler.
I got took to Forest a couple of times in 79 as a kid by an Uncle when Rovers were away. Fans were right miserable moaning buggers, despite them being top of the league having just gone up.
Couldn't wait to go back to Belle Vue were fans moaned as well but we knew we weren't very good 😉

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 22, 2017, 08:36:56 pm by Mr1Croft »
Being born in the early 90s in Stainy and now living in Thorne it has to be Scunthorpe as a personal choice. Closely followed by Rotherham.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on March 22, 2017, 08:40:48 pm by philsky »
Not massively relevant

But, over the years, Chester and Rushden

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on March 23, 2017, 09:41:51 am by Hounslowrover »
Not really bothered, but always enjoy beating Barnsley of all local rivals.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on March 23, 2017, 06:44:27 pm by les@donr »
The Dingles, they don't have a brain cell to share between themselves.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012