Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:47:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: For the older supporters  (Read 1502 times)

richtherover

• Forum Member
For the older supporters
« on March 26, 2017, 10:19:13 am by richtherover »
Showing my age I know but I still shiver when I think back to the home game against Darlington (1968). We were top of the league, unbeaten at home and they had the best away record in the division. Friday night at Belle Vue, massive crowd (22,000?) and yep, we lost 1-0. Completely irrelevant to today's game I know but it felt like the end of the world at the time.
By the way, we did go on to become Champions that year, as I'm sure we will be again in a couple of weeks.
Few hours sleep now before showtime..............
RTID
Rich the Rover

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: For the older supporters
« Reply #1 on March 26, 2017, 10:36:32 am by silent majority »
I remember that game and that feeling too. But then again it's so typical of DRFC to do that. Hopefully a different outcome today.

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 26, 2017, 10:40:11 am by goalkick »
Remember it well.these things happen in football.think rovers will be up for it today :bbscarf:

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 26, 2017, 10:52:47 am by drfc1951 »
We won the championship at Grimsby.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 26, 2017, 11:04:18 am by BobG »
Just like that night, Rovcon 5 today I reckon....

BobG

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 26, 2017, 11:08:08 am by Goole Rover »
Yep also remember it. Great goal though from Kirk the winger.
Regarding Grimsby as I recall we didn't know we were champions until outside the ground when someone announced that Darlington had drawn. Another great night.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 26, 2017, 12:49:19 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I remember that Darlo match too.

Goole - I think you are conflating our two Championship winning seasons of 1965-66 and 1968-69. As I recall, in 1965-66 we had finished all our fixtures (last match at Valley Parade on 16 May which was a Monday - Whitsun maybe), and we were top but either of Darlington or Torquay could catch us in their last match  which was later. They were playing each other in Darlington. Darlo just needed a win, but Torquay needed to win 5-0 or better. The match finished in adraw - goalless I think, and we won the title on goal average.

In 1968-69 our last match was at Grimsby, and I think we just needed to win and not bother about others' results - we won the title by 2 points.

Great days  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 26, 2017, 12:53:16 pm by Goole Rover »
Thanks Dutch on reflection you could be right, did Darlington go up 68-69 ?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 26, 2017, 12:58:08 pm by Donnywolf »
Thanks Dutch on reflection you could be right, did Darlington go up 68-69 ?

Thin Rochdale got promo that Season - their first ever

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 26, 2017, 12:59:30 pm by Donnywolf »
I remember that game and that feeling too. But then again it's so typical of DRFC to do that. Hopefully a different outcome today.

Hopefully more of an "Aldershot" Game on a Friday night would produce a better "feeling" !

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 26, 2017, 01:01:50 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Cheers Goole

Just looked and Darlo just missed out in 1968-69 - they finished 5th. Halifax were second, Rochdale were third (you are right DW)  and Bradford City fourth.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 26, 2017, 01:39:51 pm by the vicar »
Showing my age I know but I still shiver when I think back to the home game against Darlington (1968). We were top of the league, unbeaten at home and they had the best away record in the division. Friday night at Belle Vue, massive crowd (22,000?) and yep, we lost 1-0. Completely irrelevant to today's game I know but it felt like the end of the world at the time.
By the way, we did go on to become Champions that year, as I'm sure we will be again in a couple of weeks.
Few hours sleep now before showtime..............
RTID
Rich the Rover
there was actually 22 and a half thousand there and mega trouble on way from the ground

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 26, 2017, 01:45:16 pm by the vicar »
Yep also remember it. Great goal though from Kirk the winger.
Regarding Grimsby as I recall we didn't know we were champions until outside the ground when someone announced that Darlington had drawn. Another great night.
I remember Grimsby away we was all in the stand we are in this season then at half time whistle the pitch was a sea of people as rovers fan invaded the pitch to go in the side we was kicking in to, there stand emptied in a flash

TinyPortal © 2005-2012