Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:38:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sunday League May  (Read 8090 times)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Re: Sunday League May
« Reply #60 on March 27, 2017, 12:46:07 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Yes you've all been suckered in by the headline grabbing title

fact

this lad - is a W.I.P job (work in progress )

when I saw Rovers score the second goal against Cheltenham on the highlights i was amazed May didn't go for goal himself but made a pre-planned pass ??? to marquis

judge for yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRMqgo89JVw

the bloke hasn't had natural football ability coached out of him  - like may brainwshed footballers

young fergie clearly sees something in him

When Rovers play in division 1 next season they are going to  need a much bigger squad

In my world they are going down the Peterborough model scour the lower leagues -- it is hard to know how much of the success Ferguson had at Peterborough was down to Barry fry (who is in later life an unsung genius at spotting non league players and still at it )or fergie (fergie's learned  a lot from him)

so wot's my point

In Saturday's Lincoln v FG game Lincoln had an on loan striker from Peterborough called Angel (Peterb recalled him earlier in the season as they needed him as cover)-- he's the one who put his elbow in the FG's defender throat and polaxed him before scoring the equaliser

then guess what Lincoln brought on another sub a forward and believe it or not he was on loan from no other club than yes you've guessed it peterborough

so you can see what size squad will be needed next season

and maybe May IN ONE YEARS TIME will be loaned out together with the other Alfie to top non league clubs at the top of their league

so give the bloke a chance it's too early to crucify him (at least wait til Easter !!)

i just want to mention one of the most hopeless footballers i ever saw playing in Europe apart from his heading ability - his foot skills were on a par with stevie wonder

his name was John Carew he was playing for Rosenborg in Norway when they were a good team
This was in 2000-01 and you have to admit he must have been bad for me to remember him !!!

valencia to my amazement signed him and taught him how to play football -- which begs the question can anyone with no ability be taught football
- jusain bolt has the right credentials to make a footballer - think about one -

someone is telling a lot of porkies about him John Carew on wikipedia

the bloke was good in the air and to repeat hopeless on the ground

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carew

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on March 27, 2017, 01:05:04 pm by Syme »
when I saw Rovers score the second goal against Cheltenham on the highlights i was amazed May didn't go for goal himself but made a pre-planned pass ??? to marquis

judge for yourself

May doesn't make a pass there, the defender gets a toe on it and it goes to Marquis.

But yes, he does need some time, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on March 27, 2017, 01:16:07 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »

judge for yourself

May doesn't make a pass there, the defender gets a toe on it and it goes to Marquis.

I thought it was an amazing pass, and good of him not to be greedy. Then I saw it was the defender with the inch perfect pass.

May isn't the finished article and he shouldn't be judged as the finished article.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on March 27, 2017, 01:47:26 pm by GazLaz »
Another thing about May is that he's slow. He's not bad over a few yards but any further and he's not quick. Those little legs I guess.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on March 27, 2017, 02:28:44 pm by grayx »
I agree it was a "bad day at the office" for Alfie amongst others yesterday and perhaps he may be seen at his best coming off  the bench and using his pace against tiring defenders. The problem is whats the alternative?
Williams was shocking again when he came on yesterday (dont understand whats happened to him) and Gary Mac isnt fit enough yet. I am surprised Fergie didnt give him a bit longer though.

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on March 27, 2017, 03:19:31 pm by Belle_Vue »
Alphie is getting into the right positions. He is creating scoring chances. A defender will hate battling him and Maquis.
That said, he needs to start putting them away. The longer he doesn't, the worse it will feel.

This is Alpie's second chance at being a footballer, he is clearing enjoying it. Most don't get second chances, none get third. So he needs to step up, learn and deliver.

A good preseason will help, but L1 defenders are better than L2

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on March 27, 2017, 05:11:41 pm by Alan Southstand »
Let's be fair here, it wasn't Alfie who missed the gilt edged chances yesterday, that honour went to Copps. However, no-one seems to be crucifying him.

Give the lad time, he'll come good.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on March 27, 2017, 05:25:08 pm by balbyrover »
He has played 9 professional games in the football league.  Give the boy a chance..
Its almost as if people want our players to fail sometimes.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on March 27, 2017, 06:06:49 pm by RoversAlias »
This thread is a great example of what this place (and our fanbase) can be like when things aren't going well. We have to find someone to blame immediately, and nitpick at so many things.

That was our third defeat in what, 25 games? May has worked his socks off since day one, has plenty of ability and gets into good positions. He needs to learn to be a bit more savvy in league football but that will only come with experience, and he needs to improve his finishing. But I thought he got into some great positions yesterday, positions Williams certainly wasn't getting into, and he deserves a break from the fans.

The whole team has surely earned a decent leeway if they have a bad game, considering how well they've done throughout this season.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on March 27, 2017, 06:27:19 pm by GazLaz »
This thread is a great example of what this place (and our fanbase) can be like when things aren't going well. We have to find someone to blame immediately, and nitpick at so many things.

That was our third defeat in what, 25 games? May has worked his socks off since day one, has plenty of ability and gets into good positions. He needs to learn to be a bit more savvy in league football but that will only come with experience, and he needs to improve his finishing. But I thought he got into some great positions yesterday, positions Williams certainly wasn't getting into, and he deserves a break from the fans.

The whole team has surely earned a decent leeway if they have a bad game, considering how well they've done throughout this season.

I think the thread has been very fair. General consensus is that he's a work in progress and probably time to take him out of the firing line. The title of the thread may have made people's minds up but we did sign him from a Sunday league side.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on March 27, 2017, 06:33:53 pm by RedJ »
Well, we didn't...

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on March 27, 2017, 06:50:34 pm by RoversAlias »

I think the thread has been very fair. General consensus is that he's a work in progress and probably time to take him out of the firing line. The title of the thread may have made people's minds up but we did sign him from a Sunday league side.

I'm largely referring to the "sunday league" tag which is inaccurate and unfair and assertions that he's "not good enough" or too slow, which I also totally disagree with.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on March 27, 2017, 06:58:39 pm by Syme »
As we're just a pub team having a laugh, Sunday League May is very much one of our own.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on March 27, 2017, 07:34:41 pm by GazLaz »
Well, we didn't...

He was playing at the same level as Goole and
Well, we didn't...

Don't you start nibbling.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on March 27, 2017, 07:42:26 pm by Campsall rover »
He has played 9 professional games in the football league.  Give the boy a chance..
My sentiments entirely.
We seem, no not seem, DO have some fans who at the slightest chance to criticise, jump on a player after a defeat.
Alfie May was playing in the 8th tier of football just a few weeks ago. He is now playing at the 4th tier.
That is a big jump particularly as he has not had the benefit of a pre season to help him adjust to the considerable step up.
Fergie has bought him fo his considerable potential. He is as someone already said 'Work in progress'
He is only in the starting line up due to Williams struggling to find the net and Mandeville being injured.
Yes I agree yesterday was probably one game too many for Alfie and I would now
put him on the bench now and use him as an impact player.
BUT TO CRUCIFY HIM is an utter DISGRACE as he is working is socks off and giving everything to the cause.
I think this lad will surprise a few on here over the next couple of seasons.
GIVE THE LAD A BREAK hero to villain in 4 weeks.
I can't believe what I am reading on here sometimes. :crying:  :headbang:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on March 27, 2017, 07:47:12 pm by Filo »
My sentiments entirely.
We seem, no not seem, DO have some fans who at the slightest chance to criticise, jump on a player after a defeat.
Alfie May was playing in the 8th tier of football just a few weeks ago. He is now playing at the 4th tier.
That is a big jump particularly as he has not had the benefit of a pre season to help him adjust to the considerable step up.
Fergie has bought him fo his considerable potential. He is as someone already said 'Work in progress'
He is only in the starting line up due to Williams struggling to find the net and Mandeville being injured.
BUT TO CRUCIFY HIM is an utter DISGRACE as he is working is socks off and giving everything to the cause.

You said in that post what most have been saying, where has anyone crucified him?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on March 27, 2017, 09:14:05 pm by Campsall rover »
My sentiments entirely.

You said in that post what most have been saying, where has anyone crucified him?
Well the title of the thread for a start. SUNDAY LEAGUE MAY.
Several posts on this thread have said he just simply isn't good enough.
After the first few games he played most were saying he was a breath of fresh air. Now all of a sudden he is not up to it. Yes DF has over played him, I agree on that.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on March 28, 2017, 10:23:17 am by The Red Baron »
I was surprised Alfie played from the start on Sunday. I expected Williams to start the game and I think he will now on Saturday. A defeat usually forces a rethink, so expect a couple of changes.

I thought McSheffrey should have been on a lot earlier. I wonder if he is ready to start and maybe play an hour?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on March 28, 2017, 11:42:28 am by drfchound »
The good thing is that we do have other options for a starting place.
Too often in the past we have had a first eleven and not much more really.

A tough job on selection for DF this week.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on March 28, 2017, 12:01:36 pm by Alan Southstand »
The only other option, presently, is Williams and he's not setting the World alight, is he? What other options have you in mind?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on March 28, 2017, 12:12:02 pm by drfchound »
I was referring to the side in general Alan, not just up front.

However, he has Williams or McSheff as up front options right now.

Williams has not been able to get a start due to Alfie having the shirt and McSheff battling back after his injury gives both of them enough reason to bust a gut for their places.

I also think it would be good to give Alfie a break right now.

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on March 28, 2017, 12:26:04 pm by Susan Abbott »
If Williams isn't 10 times the player he is I'll give up.
What will you give up ? Exaggerating!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on March 28, 2017, 12:26:25 pm by NickDRFC »
The only other option, presently, is Williams and he's not setting the World alight, is he? What other options have you in mind?

Williams is the only like for like swap, yes, but he could bring in McSheffrey to play off Marquis, or alternatively could play Marquis up front alone and bring Blair forward/Middleton in and push Rowe further forward. Plenty of options really.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on March 28, 2017, 01:14:13 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
If Williams isn't 10 times the player he is I'll give up.
What will you give up ? Exaggerating!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he was talking in binary language I'm sure he meant twice as good ! :crying: :headbang:

a lot of players have come from "rubbish" I thought one in particular only played for peglers but I just found out he was only good enough for their RESERVE team before  scunny scout spotted him

and remember keshi he had 2 years at Barton Rovers --don't ask me what level they were at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keshi_Anderson

by the way I expect him back next season not a Sam type player

get the sp on him here

http://www.cpfc.co.uk//news/article/2016-17/a-look-at-how-the-eagles-out-on-loan-fared-in-the-games-last-weekend.-3624785.aspx

Not Sent from a zx spectrum using a sense of humour

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on March 28, 2017, 03:50:24 pm by ravenrover »
Possibly 2 changes at least for Saturday, Grant and Alcock haven't trained this week. DF says if they don't train Thursday he has a decision to make. My thoughts Mason to left back, Mc Cullough into def mid Mcsheffrey in. Copps and Rowe wide McSheffrey behind front  2 whoever accompanies Marquis. JMHO

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on March 28, 2017, 04:23:34 pm by drfchound »
I agree with that raven, i would play Williams instead of May at Grimsby.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on March 28, 2017, 04:28:49 pm by idler »
If Marquis and Williams pull their back line about for an hour Alfie might be able to stretch their tired legs.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on March 28, 2017, 05:21:35 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

judge for yourself

Opinions and choosing perspectives... but try watching it again.

Forgetting some very neat close ball control in that run to the box, he was shaping up for a pass to Marquis which with the right touch (no reason to think it wouldn't be) was going to get to him a pace or two nearer the goal. Hell, he's even that good that he get's the other side's defence to do the job for him.

Alfie should play in the rest of the games this season unless Williams is showing he is better, and so far he most definitely isn't. I've no doubt Williams can come good, has potential, but needs to sort his shit out, something muddy is in his head. Many players go through such phases. He needs more time out of the first 11 or will get worse. At the moment Alfie is clearly the better option.

Next season Alfie will be better, easily good enough for League 1, even beyond that in a few seasons. We ideally need someone like Williams as an option, tall, fast and strong. If Williams isn't going to improve, we'll need to buy which at some point we will have to anyway - Williams is not going to be Championship level.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on March 28, 2017, 06:42:05 pm by Rovers91 »
I'm impressed with May and think he will be a good player for us, he just needs that bit of composure because he does something good then will take a poor touch or poor final ball. But that will only come with more experience and a proper pre season under his belt it's like he tries too hard to impress.

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on March 28, 2017, 07:24:30 pm by Belle_Vue »
Personally I would start with Williams and Marquis and bring on May when defenders are tired

TinyPortal © 2005-2012