Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:26:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Reasons to be cheerful  (Read 4836 times)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Reasons to be cheerful
« on March 26, 2017, 05:41:42 pm by MachoMadness »
Still top of the league.
Comfortably outplayed the 2nd best team in the league (again) and were unlucky to lose.

They are a decent side and we restricted them to one decent chance and fell asleep at a corner. It happens.

Normally I'm in full kick the cat mode after a defeat but I'm quite chipper today, having seen who our closest rivals are. We'll pick up more points than them between now and the end of the season, no doubt about it. On another day we could've had 3.

We're still the best team in the league by miles on that display. Just unlucky they pinched a goal from a set piece.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Re: Reasons to be cheerful
« Reply #1 on March 26, 2017, 05:43:51 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
You're bang on the money there mate. Totally agree.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 26, 2017, 05:45:25 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Frustrated by it more than anything. But still lots of positives.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 26, 2017, 05:47:04 pm by DonnyOsmond »
There's still Portsmouth v Plymouth to happen so a Pompey win or a draw would help a lot. Some Portsmouth fans still think they have a chance of the title :lol:.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 26, 2017, 05:47:32 pm by Donnywolf »
Still top of the league.
Comfortably outplayed the 2nd best team in the league (again) and were unlucky to lose.

They are a decent side and we restricted them to one decent chance and fell asleep at a corner. It happens.

Normally I'm in full kick the cat mode after a defeat but I'm quite chipper today, having seen who our closest rivals are. We'll pick up more points than them between now and the end of the season, no doubt about it. On another day we could've had 3.

We're still the best team in the league by miles on that display. Just unlucky they pinched a goal from a set piece.

Outplayed them but failed to take any of the great chances we set up - and in the end it cost us of course

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 26, 2017, 06:18:43 pm by MachoMadness »
True, it was frustrating to miss those chances and we should've put at least one of them away, but today was the exception rather than the rule. Normally we put those chances away in spades which is why we're one of the top scorers in the whole EFL, we've got the league's top scorer and we're still top of the league by 3 points, effectively 4 looking at goal difference. Slip up next week and I'll start to get worried, today we were just unlucky.

DRFCMach2man

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 26, 2017, 06:23:34 pm by DRFCMach2man »
We have played worse and WON - not a good day but our football was on the mark especially first half- they had one real effort on target and it went in. Onwards and upwards - bring on Grimsby next week and our chance to  put things right. Still top of the league and it is ours to lose!!!!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 26, 2017, 06:27:41 pm by PDX_Rover »
Agree. We were by far the better team. It's not often I get to see the lads play on tv and thought we were good. Lovely stuff at times. Poor finishing and some decent keeping did for us. Plymouth defended really well and worked hard and their goal was well taken but soft. Still top and the bet team in the league. Shame the home record has gone though.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 26, 2017, 06:30:24 pm by Campsall rover »
To be honest it was just one of those days when the ball was never going in the net.
It was very difficult to break down a 10 man defence which was very well organised and disciplined.
Onwards and upwards if we win next week as I think we will then I can see us going till the end of the season without losing again.
My 10 point winning margin is now looking pie in the sky. As long as we get that trophy that's what matters now.
We are as good as promoted as far as I am concerned as I don't see anyone outside the top 4 gettin 78 points. :rtid:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 26, 2017, 06:33:31 pm by Campsall rover »
Yes getting should be spelt with a g on the end.  :headbang:

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 26, 2017, 07:37:21 pm by bobjimwilly »
They came with a plan alright - nick a goal then park the bus. Very hard to break a team down when they do that. Lithuania did exactly the same against England, except they didn't manage to nick a goal from a set piece. Feel sorry for Argyle fans having to watch that every week, and they'll struggle more than we will next season if that's all they have in the bag.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 26, 2017, 07:39:36 pm by mushRTID »
Them corners were going to cause problems for anyone. Superb deliveries.

That was all they had though, no worries lads and lasses the title is still ours

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 26, 2017, 07:51:10 pm by boro_rover »
I had a sneaking suspicion they would nick it at the end of the first half. We battered them and created some brilliant chances but couldn't finish.

They came with a plan and fair play to them it worked. On another day we would and should have walked that one 3-0. That's just football though.

When it comes down to it, I'm not feeling down beat or nervous. I think we showed our superiority over the 90 minutes and I too think we will collect more points that them between now and the seasons end.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 26, 2017, 08:21:52 pm by RoversAlias »
I still think we will win the league and hopefully will be up within a fortnight. No one behind us has been consistent lately (except possibly Portsmouth) and we were due one of these days.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 26, 2017, 08:28:55 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
for quite a while now Plymouth hve proved untrustworthy

remeber when they lost away to yeovil then won the harder match at cambridge

judge for yourself

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/plymouth-argyle/results

so they can quite easily throw it all away against
Accrington

remember  defeats to notts county and orient at home

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 26, 2017, 09:10:46 pm by Filo »
Them corners were going to cause problems for anyone. Superb deliveries.

That was all they had though, no worries lads and lasses the title is still ours

The corner they scored from should have been a goal kick

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 27, 2017, 09:58:51 am by Mike_F »
The most frustrating thing about their corner (whether it should've been a gk or not) was that the whole attacking phase was avoidable.

There was a defensive header (from Baudry IIRC) that could've been cushioned back to Lawlor but instead he tried to set us going forwards and headed it straight back to a Plymouth player. From that attack they got the corner and scored.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 27, 2017, 10:08:43 am by Donnywolf »
Aye just small small margins decide lots of matches.

JM's header a foot further left and it would have gone in

CG's lob was inspired but 10% more power and it may have gone in or hit the bar coming back into play

Same applies to the rest of our chances and in a No s*** Sherlock statement I suppose that is live sport for you

On another day those may have gone in and we would be looking forward to clinching Promo awat at GTFC but as it is the Champagne remains on Ice and we are still unbackable to go up

ballysbackin

« Reply #18 on March 27, 2017, 10:30:32 am by ballysbackin »
Aye just small small margins decide lots of matches.

JM's header a foot further left and it would have gone in

CG's lob was inspired but 10% more power and it may have gone in or hit the bar coming back into play

Same applies to the rest of our chances and in a No s*** Sherlock statement I suppose that is live sport for you

On another day those may have gone in and we would be looking forward to clinching Promo awat at GTFC but as it is the Champagne remains on Ice and we are still unbackable to go up

I take it that people still think Donny will go up JT ?

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 27, 2017, 02:14:49 pm by godlike1 »
My only worry is that we thought we'd walk it into the playoffs in league 1 and then got relegated.

I'm not saying that we will throw away the promotion, I just think we should not be so cocky on the title.

We have Grimsby (local derby) Mansfield (local derby and just outside the play offs) blackpool (on a good run and in the playoffs) all coming up and all will be tough games. we struggled for wins on our last set of tough games.

Lets not get too cocakhoop and up our own backsides, lets just take it in our stride and celebrate when its (hopefully) confirmed

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 27, 2017, 09:22:53 pm by Donnywolf »
My only worry is that we thought we'd walk it into the playoffs in league 1 and then got relegated.

I'm not saying that we will throw away the promotion, I just think we should not be so cocky on the title.

We have Grimsby (local derby) Mansfield (local derby and just outside the play offs) blackpool (on a good run and in the playoffs) all coming up and all will be tough games. we struggled for wins on our last set of tough games.

Lets not get too cocakhoop and up our own backsides, lets just take it in our stride and celebrate when its (hopefully) confirmed

For me the Title is only a bonus - a nice to have - an extra on top of what really counts. Promotion.

There would be if we looked back many Posts on here saying before a ball was kicked that they would settle for going up via the Playoffs and I would have settled for that as well. However winning Promo without the lottery of the Play offs is much better - a step up for sure - BUT if a Team wins the Title they still only go one Division higher

After the 2 games v PAFC (and our Pompey hang up) there will be many desperate for us to win the Title and "stick it to both of them" and I can empathise with that viewpoint but for me personally its "job done" as we may not win the Title but Promo is stitched on

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 28, 2017, 02:10:25 pm by IDM »
The return of Luke!!

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 01, 2017, 05:14:23 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
for quite a while now Plymouth hve proved untrustworthy

remeber when they lost away to yeovil then won the harder match at cambridge

judge for yourself

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/plymouth-argyle/results

so they can quite easily throw it all away against
Accrington

remember  defeats to notts county and orient at home

NEVER (IN THE HISTORY OF DRFC ) HAS SO MUCH BEEN OWED BY SO MANY (ROVERS FANS) TO SO FEW ACCRINGTON (FANS & players)

despite my posting of true facts above I never ever thought Accies would win this match

ballysbackin

« Reply #23 on April 01, 2017, 05:17:55 pm by ballysbackin »
Might have suspected it if we had checked who the ref was for their game.   ha ha initials D D and No it was not Deputy Dog

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 01, 2017, 05:19:52 pm by drfchound »
Our win today added extra pressure on to Plymouth.
Accrington are currently the form team in our division, about a dozen games unbeaten.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 01, 2017, 09:00:36 pm by andysly »
Coming out of the KM last Sunday I said to my brother that they're liable to lose at home to Accy. Plymouth aren't a good side we've just not been at our best against them.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 01, 2017, 09:01:55 pm by drfchound »
Andy, we were good against them last week but somehow didn't score.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 01, 2017, 09:19:09 pm by andysly »
We were the better side but not at our best.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 01, 2017, 09:55:36 pm by firestarter »
I can't wait to see what Derek Adams has to say about their result after acting like Billy Big B***xafter last week

TinyPortal © 2005-2012