Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:48:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Achilles Heel  (Read 2589 times)

CJK

• Forum Member
The Achilles Heel
« on March 27, 2017, 08:01:58 am by CJK »
Although we've had an amazing season so far the only thing that has really let us down is defending set pieces. Yesterday was another example of being undone by a set piece. Fortunately in most other games this season we've managed to score more than the opposition. Perhaps with our success at the other end of the field the spotlight hasn't really been turned on the only obstacle to our season thus far.

I must admit to being pretty frightened whenever we concede a set piece in our own half as it usually spells plenty of drama in the penalty area. It's hard to nail exactly why. Should the keeper be commanding the air a bit better? Should the defenders be winning more of the headers?

Taking nothing away from a very successful season but it's an issue that will only manifest itself next season if not addressed.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: The Achilles Heel
« Reply #1 on March 27, 2017, 08:15:39 am by roversdude »
We seemed to have struggled with these since Jones had his injury

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 27, 2017, 08:33:33 am by Campsall rover »
Look at the height of our team and compare it to Plymouths.
Is it any wonder we are going to have a problem with set pieces.
Baudry was caught under his man for that headed goal.
Most teams in this league are much bigger than ours.
Our success has been built on the quality of football played and having an end product, hence we are the top scorers in the league.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 27, 2017, 08:53:40 am by the vicar »
We to can be the same as others IF we want to go down the road of a big team and play LUMP BALL,  now that is a road i would not want to go down at all, give me total football every time

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 27, 2017, 09:12:43 am by nortikorner »
Basic defending nobody marking the man on the back post

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 27, 2017, 09:20:21 am by wing commander »
   Tbh it was poor from everybody at that corner..We ended up with 2 marking each other and left a guy completely stood free,pretty basic stuff...And Lawlor didn't do very well either...I know I'm in the minority here as was proved on the thread I started about it a few weeks ago but I just don't understand why people think he's that good..His distribution is excellent but apart from that his game is weak and his reactions too...Still should be Marko for me...Remember Pompey great reaction saves...Lawlor had one thing to do and didnt get anywhere near a ball straight at him...

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 27, 2017, 09:26:54 am by Goole Rover »
Yes there is an argument that the keeper should have the majority of balls in the 6 yard box but he can't be everywhere. For me the back post was woefully defended, always the favourable position for the striker who can head a ball. Schoolboy defending.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 27, 2017, 09:31:16 am by Mustapha-Dump »
   Tbh it was poor from everybody at that corner..We ended up with 2 marking each other and left a guy completely stood free,pretty basic stuff...And Lawlor didn't do very well either...I know I'm in the minority here as was proved on the thread I started about it a few weeks ago but I just don't understand why people think he's that good..His distribution is excellent but apart from that his game is weak and his reactions too...Still should be Marko for me...Remember Pompey great reaction saves...Lawlor had one thing to do and didnt get anywhere near a ball straight at him...

In the minority but certainly not alone, I don't rate him, he mad an excellent reaction save down to his left away at Cambridge, I'm yet to see anything else from him that's impressed me. Marosi back in for me, and I think he should've done better with their goal yesterday, he didn't need to dive or move, stand up straight and that's a catch.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 27, 2017, 09:32:32 am by roversdude »
Bit of a failure in game plan
We surely know how they play and where their goals have come from

ballysbackin

« Reply #9 on March 27, 2017, 10:29:21 am by ballysbackin »
Yes there is an argument that the keeper should have the majority of balls in the 6 yard box but he can't be everywhere. For me the back post was woefully defended, always the favourable position for the striker who can head a ball. Schoolboy defending.

Their scorer peeled off and was alone. Butler turned to try to get to him but was blocked by another Donny defender.  Free header. I thought the keeper should have come and fisted it to empty space beyond the play

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 27, 2017, 11:44:15 am by GazLaz »
I think we've done very well recently against set pieces. Lots of goals are scored at this level from dead ball situations but I don't think we are that bad at dealing with them. In the past we have had been but I'd like to see the stats on this season.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 27, 2017, 02:07:33 pm by drfchound »
It is also very often a game plan to block defenders which allows a good header of the ball a free run at it.
Yesterday, before i saw the tv replays i thought that Lawlor could have come from the cross but having had the benefit of seeing it again i retract that.
It was a great ball, hit with pace and the keeper had no chance of getting to it.
The header was bulleted at goal and i cant blame him for not saving it either.
You sometimes have to admire what an opposition team has done and this goal falls into that category.

DRFCMach2man

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 27, 2017, 04:16:17 pm by DRFCMach2man »
Spot on hound with your analysis of the goal.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 27, 2017, 06:35:39 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Likewise, I too thought it was a very well executed goal in every respect.  I'm on the fence on Lawlor not keeping it out,  I was right behind the line of the ball and it went straight through him, it went with such pace he had little reaction time.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 27, 2017, 06:54:20 pm by Filo »
Likewise, I too thought it was a very well executed goal in every respect.  I'm on the fence on Lawlor not keeping it out,  I was right behind the line of the ball and it went straight through him, it went with such pace he had little reaction time.

I think the Plymouth Keeper would have saved it, as demonstrated a few times yesterday, it was straight at him, but I wouldn't lay the blame at the keeper, it was awful defending

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 27, 2017, 07:29:43 pm by CJK »
Some good observations so far. It really only came to my mind after the goal we conceded against Notts County; set piece, big lad knocks it down, player smashes it in from close range. Just thought I'd seen it all too often. Agree that it was a good set play from Plymouth and Carey's delivery is exceptional.

Additionally, and I don't have the stats but I'd guess we seem to concede goals at a high ratio to chances actually created by the opposition. Take Sunday, all Lawlor has had to do is pick the ball out the net, same against Notts County. I could be wrong, just going off short term memory. Looking ahead to next season there is definitely some work to be done as we we will face bigger and equally physical teams who will work on beating us from set plays.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 27, 2017, 08:48:39 pm by ravenrover »
We need a proper mester at the back, and have done since Jones left. Butler wins a lot of headers against bigger players that he shouldn't just by his aggression at attacking the ball but is poor at corners. Baudry is not as aggressive in the air but is the ball player. It's tge same at our corners/set pieces we don't have the Bradley type of player who is dominant in the air. It was poor marking that allowed him to score yesterday a player coming in on a run will always beat a player jumping from a standing start ad was shown.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 27, 2017, 09:19:53 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Some good observations so far. It really only came to my mind after the goal we conceded against Notts County; set piece, big lad knocks it down, player smashes it in from close range. Just thought I'd seen it all too often. Agree that it was a good set play from Plymouth and Carey's delivery is exceptional.

Additionally, and I don't have the stats but I'd guess we seem to concede goals at a high ratio to chances actually created by the opposition. Take Sunday, all Lawlor has had to do is pick the ball out the net, same against Notts County. I could be wrong, just going off short term memory. Looking ahead to next season there is definitely some work to be done as we we will face bigger and equally physical teams who will work on beating us from set plays.

Which suggests to me a problem with the keeping.  Yesterday's game was pretty typical, we have a defence that can limit the opposition to only a very few chances but those few chances produce too many goals, and typically they score with their first break (how many games have we conceded first?).

There were too many on here wetting themselves after just two games saying how much better than Marosi Lawlor was.  Too soon for anyone too form an opinion either way.  I wasn't convinced and still aren't.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 28, 2017, 12:10:12 pm by Alan Southstand »
There were too many on here wetting themselves after just two games saying how much better than Marosi Lawlor was. 

His kicking is a big improvement on Marosi. I have to say, though, for a big lad, he doesn't wander too far from his line. In the pre-match warm-up, they were knocking crosses in from left and right and he was moving off his line and taking them, so why not in the match? A few things to iron out, but that can be said of both of them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012