Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:43:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Our squad next season in League One  (Read 8886 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Our squad next season in League One
« on March 27, 2017, 01:22:41 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Keepers
Marosi - Our best shot stopper and for me should be our number one.

Lawlor - Joined in January and not done too bad will challenge with Marosi for the keepers shirt.

Etheridge - Hasn't been good enough for us this season. Let's in easy shots and just doesn't command his area well enough. Either get rid or loan out.

Defenders
Alcock - Mr consistent who can play anywhere across the defence. For me he's our best right back.

Butler - Our best header of the ball and has done well this season.

Wright - Not too bad a defender and will hopefully push more for a starting place next season.

Baudry - A brilliant defender and great with the ball at his feet.

ATS - Tough one. He wasn't great last season but then again no one was. Deserves a chance to prove himself over the last few games and if he does well then keep him.

Evina - Either a defender who can't defend or a winger who doesn't look when he crosses. Get rid.

Lund - Needs to push on next season.

Midfielders
Blair - Started off as a good midfielder this season and has become a brilliant midfielder/defender.

Middleton - Not bad at all with a ball but is just too slow and can't keep up with opposition. He doesn't really fit into our team so I'd get rid.

Keegan - Injury prone and doesn't play. Get rid.

McCullough - Midfielder is definitely the position for him. Should be first choice at the base of midfield unless Houghton comes back.

Rowe - Should for me be playing centrally but he's done well enough anyway. Our best player.

Coppinger - Rolled back the years this season.  Hopefully he can still cope at League One.

McSheffrey - Extend this guys contract now. Best set piece taker and one of our most creative players.

Forwards
Marquis - An all round striker and probably our best.

Williams - A goalscorer when he's in form.

May - Hard worker but not up to the level yet, pre-season will do him good but I'd also loan him out to a Conference side.

Mandeville - Our most technical striker for me. Although he does seem a bit injury prone. He needs to push on in pre-season and become someone who can play in Championship or above.

Youngsters
Garratt
Louis Jones
Longbottom
Beestin
Donaldson
Fielding
Pugh

Most likely to break through - Garratt or Fielding. Neither have done too bad in their loan spells. Beestin should get more game time but probably a year too early for the rest to have more game time.

Loan Players
Grant
Houghton
Mason

I'd sign all three of these guys up if we had the opportunity. Houghton would fight it out with McCullough for that position at the base of midfield. Grant, although he's not been great this season we know there's a decent player in there who could become a valuable asset. Mason offers backup in all the defensive positions and in midfield.

Positions required
If we can get the three loan players signed up then that'd brilliant if we miss any of them then we'd need replacements for them. Other than that we need a left back (we've never had a proper one this season), a left midfielder so Rowe can play centrally, someone similar to Blair on the left would be perfect. Another striker to compete with Marquis, Williams and Mandeville.

That'd leave a quality squad with youngsters who can still get games in the team.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Our squad next season in League One
« Reply #1 on March 27, 2017, 01:46:28 pm by roversdude »
Good assessment
Don't think there is really any comparison between Houghton and Luke however
Alcock has for me been a little disappointing over last few weeks

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 27, 2017, 01:51:57 pm by drfchound »
There has been much discussion about our poor defensive record this season.
At one point we had something like the fifth worst goals against record in the division.
Since Alcock and Baudry came into the team that problem has been resolved and we now only six teams have conceded fewer goals than us.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 27, 2017, 01:54:21 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It is a good summary. I think better wing backs would help though Blair has surprised me in that position.  Left side is an issue though.

Probably need around 3-4 players not much more than that assuming grant and Mason remain.  If not its 5 or 6.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 27, 2017, 02:01:35 pm by graingrover »
I agree with the opening analysis entirely and think that in addition, DF will still wish to add a speedy attacker as he stated when pursuing the lad from Morton.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 27, 2017, 02:03:53 pm by phil old leake »
For me the one thing we need is a consistent regular scoring striker.  The lads we have this season have done a good job
For me May might struggle next year hopefully not

Marquis has been brilliant but prior to this season his scoring record has been no where near the levels this season which are excellent.  We need to know that he can produce again next year or whether he will go back to being a hardworking ball winner for others to steal his glory by scoring. If that's the case Williams isn't the man to do that consistently. When he's on but when he's off he's really off. We need a version of billy sharp. Who can provide goals

I would like to see McCullough and Houghton together in front of the defence.  That for me would be formidable.   

I agree to get mcshreffrey signed. Other than that I think the squad can hold its own next year

As I said the main thing for me is a goal scorer to replace/compete/ or support John marquis

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 27, 2017, 02:06:43 pm by GazLaz »
Baudry is up there for player of the year for me.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 27, 2017, 02:09:16 pm by drfchound »
How will anyone know whether Marquis will score goals regularly in L1 until he is given the chance though?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 27, 2017, 02:12:24 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I agree with the opening analysis entirely and think that in addition, DF will still wish to add a speedy attacker as he stated when pursuing the lad from Morton.

The Premier League interest in him seems to have gone quiet, perhaps we have a chance now.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 27, 2017, 02:33:18 pm by RoversAlias »
How will anyone know whether Marquis will score goals regularly in L1 until he is given the chance though?

I've heard he won't score more than 5 in L1 next season  :suicide:

For me the priority in the summer will be to sign Houghton again and get a proper left back in as that has ben a huge problem position for us for a long time now, probably since Spurr and Husband left.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 27, 2017, 03:01:05 pm by bobbymax »

For me the priority in the summer will be to sign Houghton again and get a proper left back in as that has ben a huge problem position for us for a long time now, probably since Spurr and Husband left.
Where is Husband now - he would be perfect far left in this formation

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 27, 2017, 03:04:30 pm by DonnyOsmond »

On the bench in the Premier League.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 27, 2017, 03:12:09 pm by DearneValleyRover »
We need more pace and power for next season, our build up is still painfully slow at times and we don't bully the opposition enough

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 27, 2017, 03:26:41 pm by drfchound »
TBF it must have done alright seeing as how we are top of the league.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 27, 2017, 03:33:42 pm by GazLaz »

He can't defend.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 27, 2017, 04:03:34 pm by bedale rover »
A better formation for next year would be 4-2-3-1
If we had Houghton and mccollough
But then that would mean no place Grant and/or Rowe

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 27, 2017, 04:06:08 pm by RedJ »

The Premier League interest in him seems to have gone quiet, perhaps we have a chance now.

Fergie's already said we won't be going back for him at the supporters' club thing ages ago. Wasn't 100% he had the right frame of mind to leave home at his age so far away, but obviously thought he was worth a punt.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 27, 2017, 05:06:09 pm by Alan Southstand »
Agree with the left back, it's an absolute priority. I would like to see Blair moved into midfield, as he can be a player who changes a game. Wasted at right back imho. Same thing with Rowe, he should now be at the point of the diamond and Copps should be a stand-in. Which means, as my 2nd priority, I would also have a right back. Lund may yet be that player, but is he struggling after being out for so long?

I still think Williams has something to offer and to get a decent striker would cost loads and I think it would be better spending that money on trying to get either Houghton or Mason or both. Hopefully, Grant signs when we are confirmed promoted.

To go - in no particular order - Keegan, Evina, ATS, Etheridge, Pugh.

Loans - Houghton, Mason, quick striker.

That's 5 out and 3 permanent in plus 3 loans

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 27, 2017, 05:26:04 pm by selby »
Get rid of Middleton and I think you are giving a lot of money away a couple of years down the line mate.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 27, 2017, 05:43:16 pm by Retdon1 »
I think we need another out and out goal scorer to play with marquis then have Williams, mandenville and may in reserve. The board has always back fergy and hopefully they will do again in the summer.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 27, 2017, 08:00:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
James Husband, Billy Sharp and Matt Mills all to re-sign. Sorted! 😃

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 27, 2017, 08:08:31 pm by DearneValleyRover »
TBF it must have done alright seeing as how we are top of the league.

We won't be top of league 1 if we don't address the pace issue

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 27, 2017, 09:05:13 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Theo Robinson is fast

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 27, 2017, 09:21:00 pm by ravenrover »
Theo Robinson is fast
But he's also not very good

ballysbackin

« Reply #24 on March 27, 2017, 10:07:21 pm by ballysbackin »
I think we need another out and out goal scorer to play with marquis then have Williams, mandenville and may in reserve. The board has always back fergy and hopefully they will do again in the summer.

I have a feeling that if the fans do not return and the ST sales are not good then the owners may not be so frugal next term. Just a thought

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 27, 2017, 11:00:14 pm by Syme »
I'd make an upgrade on Butler a priority.

He's not good enough for a decent League One team.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 27, 2017, 11:39:30 pm by roversontheup »

I have a feeling that if the fans do not return and the ST sales are not good then the owners may not be so frugal next term. Just a thought

Do you mean they might be more frugal if season tickets are low? You surely dont think theyve been frugal this season?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 27, 2017, 11:42:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

By the sounds of it from the Meet the Owners, they have already committed to Fergie in order that he can secure his prime targets as soon as possible.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 28, 2017, 12:47:43 am by Bessie Red »
Adam Le Fondre would be good signing. I dont think Bolton would want to keep him if they go up. He certainly knows where the net is!!

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 28, 2017, 07:03:15 am by Rovers91 »
Butler has had a very good season but when we jump up to league one he worries me. If he's playing in a 3 centre halves I think he can get away with it because they can cover him but in a two he will struggle next season. He hasn't got the pace to recover and at times last season was like he was running in treacle at that level.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012