Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:58:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Joey Barton  (Read 4515 times)

nortikorner

• Forum Member
Joey Barton
« on April 26, 2017, 01:26:20 pm by nortikorner »
Banned for 18 Months for Betting from all Football
 To Harsh in my Opinion

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Re: Joey Barton
« Reply #2 on April 26, 2017, 01:39:09 pm by wing commander »
They have gone to town on him there haven't they....No consistency yet again...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 26, 2017, 01:47:54 pm by Filo »
As ch of a t**t he is, he makes some valid points in his statement regarding the relationship between football and betting companies

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 26, 2017, 01:51:13 pm by Syme »
There are precedents of bans of this scale already. Rob Heys at Accrington got 21 months, and Nick Bunyard at Frome got a 3 year ban. Both, like Barton, bet on their own team to lose.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 26, 2017, 01:51:26 pm by mushRTID »
The blokes an idiot but his statement makes perfect sense to me. It's a harsh verdict.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 26, 2017, 02:01:18 pm by Filo »
There are precedents of bans of this scale already. Rob Heys at Accrington got 21 months, and Nick Bunyard at Frome got a 3 year ban. Both, like Barton, bet on their own team to lose.

Neither were players, they were involved at management level and could have instructed players to influence the outcome of games. When Barton placed bets on his team to lose he was not involved in the matchday squad in any way

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 26, 2017, 02:04:44 pm by CrippyCooke »

I'm unsure of the others, however Barton was betting on his side to lose in games he wasn't involved with. Of course, that is still unacceptable but I cannot justify The FA's judgement that Barton's actions are worthy of considerably harsher action than racial abuse (Terry, Suarez), violent conduct, kicking a supporter (Cantona) and numerous drug offences.

The FA, and football in general, is far too cosy with the betting industry. Barton has said himself that he has struggled with gambling addiction. The sensible, fair and most productive course of action would be for The FA to assist him in beating the addiction. A lengthy ban which effectively ensures he loses his job is utterly inappropriate.

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 26, 2017, 02:10:52 pm by nortikorner »
If the betting ban is for placing bets on is own team things dont had up  46 game per year time 10 years equals 460 games . He charged with 1270 bets over a ten years period ???

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 26, 2017, 02:11:22 pm by Syme »
I know he wasn't in the squad for the ones he bet against, but you'd be hard pushed to say he didn't have insider knowledge when placing his bets.

And there should be some focus here on the ones where he bet on team-mates not to score. There's a case to answer of spot-fixing there.

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 26, 2017, 02:13:05 pm by rover-n-out »
I've also read his statement, and he comes across as a very intelligent and articulate man, also admitting he is aware he has personallity problems.
He makes some very valid points in his own defence, and as Filo states above, the point he makes about the relationship between football and the betting companies stinks of double standards.
Yes, we all know he is a detestable tw*t on the pitch, but I agree with mushRTID, it's a harsh verdict, and will probably end his career.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 26, 2017, 02:17:37 pm by Syme »
That's his calling card isn't it - the articulate and measured explanation after whichever law or rule it is he's broken this time.

If he is forced to retire the game will be better off without him.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 26, 2017, 02:23:27 pm by Filo »
That's his calling card isn't it - the articulate and measured explanation after whichever law or rule it is he's broken this time.

Lol! 😀

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 26, 2017, 02:28:14 pm by CrippyCooke »

This highlights a fundamental problem. People are not interested in the wider issues or the disproportionate punishment simply because they don't like Joey Barton.

I imagine people would have very different views if their favourite player - let's say James Coppinger - was given the same treatment.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 26, 2017, 02:31:04 pm by Herman Hessian »
if i was Ray Winstone I'd be very afraid - given the morals of the betting industry I think we'll be seeing a new face for in-game betting promotions in the very near future...

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 26, 2017, 02:34:20 pm by Syme »

This highlights a fundamental problem. People are not interested in the wider issues or the disproportionate punishment simply because they don't like Joey Barton.

I imagine people would have very different views if their favourite player - let's say James Coppinger - was given the same treatment.

Spot fixers in India were sent to jail. You could argue Barton has gotten off lightly.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 26, 2017, 02:36:19 pm by IDM »
Over 1200 football bets in 10 years, (probably) all against the rules, which he would have known?

Why the hell didn't he get help sooner???

ballysbackin

« Reply #17 on April 26, 2017, 02:42:47 pm by ballysbackin »
I do not like Barton much - I also do not understand the merits of this case BUT he has in the past upset the FA and maybe they are just giving him some back because of his antecedents I am not saying this is the case but as people on here state it is a bit harsh. Not that it will matter but can he appeal?

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 26, 2017, 02:44:44 pm by Jenny »
His statement says he is appealing.

15,000 bets averaging £150 a stake - £2.25m wasted on gambling. Madness.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 26, 2017, 02:45:49 pm by Herman Hessian »
Barton's punishment is neither disproportionate nor harsh:

Andros Townsend; "several" bets = four months

The Accrington v Bury cadre; one game = 5/6/8/10 months apiece

Michael Moffat; six games = one week per game

Cameron Jerome; repeated infractions = £50,000.00 fine

Dan Gosling; repeated infractions = £30,000.00 fine

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 26, 2017, 02:54:04 pm by CrippyCooke »

Spot fixers in India were sent to jail. You could argue Barton has gotten off lightly.

Barton hasn't been found guilty of spot-fixing.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 26, 2017, 02:58:32 pm by Syme »
If you bet against your own team-mate to score, that strikes me as pretty close to spot fixing. Particularly when you take set-pieces in the offensive third.

Equally, if you bet on yourself to score first, are you going to make the pass or take the shot yourself.

For me, focusing on just on the games he didn't play in misses the fundamental issue here.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 26, 2017, 03:28:50 pm by the vicar »
He should get a life ban just for being Joey sodding Barton lol

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 26, 2017, 04:14:55 pm by drfchound »
If you bet against your own team-mate to score, that strikes me as pretty close to spot fixing. Particularly when you take set-pieces in the offensive third.

Equally, if you bet on yourself to score first, are you going to make the pass or take the shot yourself.

For me, focusing on just on the games he didn't play in misses the fundamental issue here.

Barton has said that the ban isn't in relation to match fixing.
So, have you any evidence that he did actually bet on himself to score first or bet against his own team mate to score?

Is he guilty of the offence or proven not to be innocent of it?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 26, 2017, 04:18:25 pm by DonnyNoel »

So, have you any evidence that he did actually bet on himself to score first or bet against his own team mate to score?

Match fixing and spot fixing are technically different and one is much easier to do than the other. (Not that I am saying he's guilty of either by the way, he seems to have stated and it be accepted that any bet involving his team was only placed when he wasn't involved)

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 26, 2017, 04:22:28 pm by Syme »

Yes, I have evidence.

http://joeybarton.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/My-bets-backing-my-team.jpg

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 26, 2017, 04:26:00 pm by drfchound »
Were these games in which he played?

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 26, 2017, 04:30:40 pm by Syme »
Were these games in which he played?

Personally, I don't rate his intelligence, but even I wouldn't expect him to bet on himself to score in a game he wasn't playing in.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 26, 2017, 04:33:07 pm by drfchound »
Smart arse, did he play in a game in which he bet against his team mate to score.
Of course i didn't suggest he would bet on himself to score first in a game he did't play in.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 26, 2017, 04:34:17 pm by Syme »
Smart arse, did he play in a game in which he bet against his team mate to score.
Of course i didn't suggest he would bet on himself to score first in a game he did't play in.

It's the same game. Man City Fulham.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012