Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:31:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Who's fault?

Ferguson - tinkering with team selections and tactics.
23 (21.9%)
The players - Getting promoted and thinking it was job done.  They've been on the beach since Mansfield.
20 (19%)
Both of the above
57 (54.3%)
It was just a tough run of fixtures
5 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Voting closed: May 12, 2017, 10:43:46 am

Author Topic: Who's fault is the last few games?  (Read 8831 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Who's fault is the last few games?
« on May 07, 2017, 10:43:46 am by DonnyOsmond »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: Who's fault is the last few games?
« Reply #1 on May 07, 2017, 11:06:25 am by not on facebook »
I put it down to the players .

Still can't belive the tripe that was served up in front of me for 70 odd mins untill I switched off and hit the bottle at 1> 1 .

Only the keeper and copps looked good for me rest were all over the place or not putting a full shift in.

Iam not one for wanting the manager out as promotion is the main objective ,but that will not take away how gutted i feal .

The question is can ferggie learn from the end of this season.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 07, 2017, 11:20:17 am by Chris Black come back »
Please let us not forget that the quest for the title was a very clear and unambiguous objective of Ferguson. He pressed this point very hard after promotion was secured. After announcing this objective, the performances have, almost without exception, been absolutely and utterly risible.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 07, 2017, 04:02:21 pm by Goole Rover »
Listening to Mr Daniels on Radio Sheffield after yesterday's debacle he was of the opinion that a Psychologist was needed for next season. Considering the performance over the last matches I tend to agree.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 07, 2017, 04:12:09 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Please let us not forget that the quest for the title was a very clear and unambiguous objective of Ferguson. He pressed this point very hard after promotion was secured. After announcing this objective, the performances have, almost without exception, been absolutely and utterly risible.

So are we looking at his motivational skills then?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 07, 2017, 04:35:01 pm by RedJ »
That's what it points to. As I've said elsewhere, there is a reason that man is yet to win a league title.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 07, 2017, 04:52:14 pm by Jonathan »
That's what it points to. As I've said elsewhere, there is a reason that man is yet to win a league title.

This regular highlighting of Ferguson's lack of titles is interesting when it comes to gauging our fans' expectations. He may not have won any league titles but he has four promotions. We have to bear in mind that we're Doncaster Rovers and, if and when the job comes up in future, I doubt Antonio Conte will be falling over himself to apply.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 07, 2017, 05:01:00 pm by RedJ »

This regular highlighting of Ferguson's lack of titles is interesting when it comes to gauging our fans' expectations. He may not have won any league titles but he has four promotions. We have to bear in mind that we're Doncaster Rovers and, if and when the job comes up in future, I doubt Antonio Conte will be falling over himself to apply.

He blew a six point lead over second and 10 over third when one win would've done it. It was as good as ours. It may be that "we're Doncaster Rovers" (not sure what your point is with that) but he should never have blown this. He's stubborn as f**k and makes irrational decisions at times (and Peterborough fans will back me up on this) and he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 07, 2017, 05:10:47 pm by Jonathan »
I don't deny that the capitulation has been really disappointing and leaves a lot to think about in terms of getting us ready for the new season. But we can't disregard what got us into that position in the first place. This has been our only really disappointing sequence of results over the course of the whole season. Our form at any other time would have clinched the title but we blew it when it was ours for the taking. That's particularly frustrating but Brighton fell away similarly after securing promotion. It shouldn't take away from a successful season where our main objective was achieved early.

Any criticism of Ferguson for our recent slump should be balanced with credit where it's due for the fact we bounced back at the first attempt and won promotion early. If we got rid of him on the basis that we need to attract a manager with a better track record of winning league titles, then I suspect we may be in for a frustrating recruitment period.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 07, 2017, 05:20:26 pm by RedJ »
But we can't disregard what got us into that position in the first place.

And we can't disregard the fact that the manager let the players slip out of doing the things that got us into that position. Yes, the players have to take some of the blame, but he is responsible for managing the team.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 07, 2017, 05:20:52 pm by Syme »
By his own terms he has failed this season. His target was 2 points per game.

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
Who's fault is the last few games?
« Reply #11 on May 07, 2017, 05:27:43 pm by Susan Abbott »
By his own terms he has failed this season. His target was 2 points per game.
Promotion was achieved , when after loosing our opening game and with injuries piling up and also discovering our first choice keeper was a joke we all thought this isn't going to be easy . DF is going to admit he was lucky at the end ,had this  bad spell had come a few games earlier we my have only got into the play offs .

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 07, 2017, 05:32:53 pm by Syme »
Who signed that joke of a keeper?

He's said enough times what his target has been. He's missed it. I expect HR will call him in on Monday morning.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 07, 2017, 05:45:59 pm by GazLaz »
Missed penalties cost us!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 07, 2017, 06:11:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Combination of all of those things. Mixed messages from Fergie when letting the players (and club) celebrate before the entire job was done, and tinkering with the team.

The work rate and determination in our last 4 games wasn't there and our big game players didn't produce.

Still, it's made it easier for Fergie to sort the wheat from the chaff!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 07, 2017, 06:17:45 pm by DonnyOsmond »

He's said enough times what his target has been. He's missed it. I expect HR will call him in on Monday morning.

We need a fishing emoji.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 07, 2017, 06:24:42 pm by johnny rovers »
It can't be anything other than both surely! The manager cannot put his boots on and be selected to play and the players don't pick the team!!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 07, 2017, 06:29:49 pm by RedJ »
Combination of all of those things. Mixed messages from Fergie when letting the players (and club) celebrate before the entire job was done, and tinkering with the team.

The work rate and determination in our last 4 games wasn't there and our big game players didn't produce.

Still, it's made it easier for Fergie to sort the wheat from the chaff!

At least he's learned a lot about his players.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 07, 2017, 06:37:14 pm by Syme »

We need a fishing emoji.

I'd prefer a trawling one.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 07, 2017, 06:38:43 pm by wesisback »

We need a fishing emoji.
Do we? There's times when it seems madness to sack a manager but acceptance that he will take us no further is the sensible thing to do and in this case I think we're probably there. I was the biggest supporter of his appointment but he managed to make Paul Dickovs team worse, we entered this League having lost zero players bar the ones the club chose, easily the strongest in the League and collapsed in the worst way possible to win the title. Our motivation was dogshit last season and yet at a point when the players motivation should have been natural it evaporated again.
I've seen Rovers fans genuinely predicting the League 1 playoffs again next season which is no more mad than the idea of sacking Fergie. It'd take a bloody big clear out to even dream of seeing the play offs and one of the best chances of achieving that is clearing the gaffer of his duties first.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 07, 2017, 06:42:53 pm by RedJ »
If we were gonna do it it should've been Easter last year. No point getting rid now, even if he is a bit of a pillock.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 07, 2017, 06:52:33 pm by Syme »
Managers leaving successful clubs is not a concept without precedent. Watford got rid of Jokanovic when he took them up to the Premier League, Bruce walked out on Hull and our own Brian Flynn was told thanks but no thanks.

Obviously the outcome of those three decisions varies, as do the motivating factors, but it's not such a crazy idea to tell Darren he's taken us as far as his abilities will allow.

Of course, that won't happen, but i'd be astonished if he can get us top half next season.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 07, 2017, 06:54:12 pm by DonnyOsmond »

We need a fishing emoji.
Do we? There's times when it seems madness to sack a manager but acceptance that he will take us no further is the sensible thing to do and in this case I think we're probably there. I was the biggest supporter of his appointment but he managed to make Paul Dickovs team worse, we entered this League having lost zero players bar the ones the club chose, easily the strongest in the League and collapsed in the worst way possible to win the title. Our motivation was dogshit last season and yet at a point when the players motivation should have been natural it evaporated again.
I've seen Rovers fans genuinely predicting the League 1 playoffs again next season which is no more mad than the idea of sacking Fergie. It'd take a bloody big clear out to even dream of seeing the play offs and one of the best chances of achieving that is clearing the gaffer of his duties first.

You say about him taking over Dickov's squad and making it worse, but lets not forget Fergie is a manager who likes attacking football even if it leaves gaps at the back, he took over a squad that struggled at scoring goals and we expected that to work? Of course it didn't. This season he's brought in players that can play he's way in pre-season and we've gone up and other than Etheridge has got every signing spot on. I'd say he'll do well with signings again this Summer then we'll see how were looking around August.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 07, 2017, 06:59:32 pm by Chris Black come back »
He got us relegated last season when it was comfortably in our hands to stay up.

He lost us the title this year when it was comfortably in our hands to win.

He got us promoted this season.

Mixed bag really. We have to admit.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 07, 2017, 07:31:50 pm by dickos1 »
Listening to Mr Daniels on Radio Sheffield after yesterday's debacle he was of the opinion that a Psychologist was needed for next season. Considering the performance over the last matches I tend to agree.

We already have one, have done for 2 years now

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 07, 2017, 07:47:50 pm by dickos1 »
He got us relegated last season when it was comfortably in our hands to stay up.

He lost us the title this year when it was comfortably in our hands to win.

He got us promoted this season.

Mixed bag really. We have to admit.

Never understood this theory.
Surely you've also got to give the manager credit in the first place to get into those positions.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 07, 2017, 07:52:42 pm by Goole Rover »

He probably meant a replacement?

walter the red

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 07, 2017, 07:53:04 pm by walter the red »
One Item of DF's management has been his decision to bring off James Coppinger in quite a few matches ,this makes me wonder why he made him team captain as surely a team should look to its captain till the end for leadership ? Much better to make him club captain and say Tommy Rowe for team captain as he gives his all like Copps . DF's mind cannot be in sync with what he sees on the field .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 07, 2017, 07:58:42 pm by dickos1 »

He probably meant a replacement?

Who is mr Daniels?
I know the psychologist he's a mate of mine,

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 07, 2017, 08:00:12 pm by dickos1 »
And he's been asked back again for next season

TinyPortal © 2005-2012