Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:53:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Andy Williams transfer listed  (Read 10438 times)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Andy Williams transfer listed
« on May 09, 2017, 08:00:49 am by Dare to dream! »
From Liam hoden

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Andy Williams transfer listed
« Reply #1 on May 09, 2017, 08:01:17 am by Dare to dream! »
RELEASED: Rovers have released Paul Keegan, Gary McSheffrey and Aaron Taylor-Sinclair plus youngsters Joe Pugh & Joey McCormick #drfc

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 09, 2017, 08:01:37 am by Dare to dream! »
TRANSFER-LISTED: Rovers have made Andy Williams, Harry Middleton, Mitchell Lund, Cedric Evina & Ross Etheridge available for transfer #drfc

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 09, 2017, 08:01:49 am by Dare to dream! »
#ruthless

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 09, 2017, 08:03:24 am by Jonathan »
Must be after a new striker to replace Williams then. I'm sure there'll be no shortage of clubs interested in him, he's still a good player.

Only other slight surprise on there is Lund.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 09, 2017, 08:05:56 am by steve@dcfd »
http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/players-released-3711032.aspx

Rovers have released five first-team players and made a further five available for transfer.

Paul Keegan, Gary McSheffrey, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Joe Pugh and Joey McCormick will all leave the club at the end of their contracts.

Ross Etheridge, Cedric Evina, Mitchell Lund, Harry Middleton and Andy Williams have all been made available for transfer.

Conor Grant has returned to parent club Everton after his loan expired, and Rovers will not pursue a permanent move at this time.

Second year scholars Lloyd Henderson, Josh Barker and Matthew Gains will not be offered professional deals and have left the club.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:08:04 am by steve@dcfd »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 09, 2017, 08:09:50 am by Filo »
Not signing Grant either

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 09, 2017, 08:11:04 am by Filo »
Looks like we're going to be busy in the transfer market again

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 09, 2017, 08:14:38 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
IT does. STunned on Williams that's very harsh I think.  The rest makes sense really though lund is hard done by most others can't complain.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 09, 2017, 08:15:06 am by GazLaz »
I think DF has nailed it. All the players mentioned are replaceable.  Williams is a slight surprise, but he's had issues this season so a move back down nearer where he's from would make sense. Might end up back at Bristol Rovers.

Pugh, McCormick, Middleton and Lund being given the boot shows again that the players our youth system produces just aren't good enough and something needs to change. Mandeville has shown promise but I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year he's on the list.

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 09, 2017, 08:18:08 am by Guernsey Exile »
 I think if there was a way to keep McSheffrey with our budget then we should have done.  He can still do a job.  A little surprised at Williams.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 09, 2017, 08:34:33 am by Campsall rover »
Well that is a shock didn't expect Williams, Middleton and Lund to be transfer listed. Also not going to try and sign Grant is not what I expected but he has not been the same player we had last season.
Going to need at least 6/7 quality signings this summer.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 09, 2017, 08:35:25 am by MrFrost »
So presuming all the transfer listed players leave, plus Grant - that's 11 players leaving.

IMO we will need to be signing a dozen players

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 09, 2017, 08:47:34 am by glosterred »
Ruthless for Williams and Lund. Not surprised at all about Grant as he seems to have gone backwards after the previous time at the club. HM I feel slightly sorry for didn't really get a good run of games. Unsurprised about the others.

COYR

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 09, 2017, 08:52:29 am by mushRTID »
Can't believe how ruthless he's been. That's a complete overhaul not just your normal end of season stuff.

I'm surprised at Lund to be honest.

Middleton just hasn't improved and you always had the feeling that Fergie didn't like Williams, bet he was on 3-4K a week too.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 09, 2017, 08:54:01 am by DonnyOsmond »
Only thing I can think with Williams is he's our second highest paid player and Fergie thinks we can do better for those wages.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 09, 2017, 08:54:10 am by DearneValleyRover »
More than happy with that if we are to challenge next season or at least comfortably stay up we need better. 

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 09, 2017, 08:54:25 am by johnny rovers »
I think if there was a way to keep McSheffrey with our budget then we should have done.  He can still do a job.  A little surprised at Williams.

We cannot afford to carry players who are injury prone. We need younger players that can be an investment if need be. Correct decision!

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 09, 2017, 09:05:19 am by Guernsey Exile »

We cannot afford to carry players who are injury prone. We need younger players that can be an investment if need be. Correct decision!

Each to their own...I am comfortable with my opinion :-)

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 09, 2017, 09:05:33 am by pib »
So presuming all the transfer listed players leave, plus Grant - that's 11 players leaving.

IMO we will need to be signing a dozen players

Which is why I'm struggling to make sense of Fergie's comments from a few weeks ago that we won't have as busy a summer as last year.  Perhaps the way we ended the season has changed his mind on that.  The way I see it it's more like 7 senior players, as the two young lads haven't really broken through and with etheridge going we don't really need 3 keepers anyway.

Regarding Williams - a surprise as he is still a good player despite a frustrating season. However he is 30 now with a year left on his contract - he could be up for release next summer if he doesn't perform so perhaps we are looking to get a fee for him while we can.  I hope we've got someone lined up to replace him as decent strikers aren't ten a penny.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 09, 2017, 09:10:43 am by DonnyOsmond »
I think DF has nailed it. All the players mentioned are replaceable.  Williams is a slight surprise, but he's had issues this season so a move back down nearer where he's from would make sense. Might end up back at Bristol Rovers.

Pugh, McCormick, Middleton and Lund being given the boot shows again that the players our youth system produces just aren't good enough and something needs to change. Mandeville has shown promise but I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year he's on the list.

Mandeville is miles ahead technically of the other two.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 09, 2017, 09:13:53 am by GazLaz »

Mandeville is miles ahead technically of the other two.

Yes he is, he's shown a bit of promise and hopefully he kicks on. He needs to improve though.

ballysbackin

« Reply #22 on May 09, 2017, 09:17:58 am by ballysbackin »
Probably the writing was on the wall for Andy when Mandeville was put on higher wages last week.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 09, 2017, 09:31:27 am by bobjimwilly »
2 days after the season finishes and Fergie and the board are hard at work preparing for the new season, pulling no punches. That is definitely a positive.
The Williams decision may seem controversial, but looking at his record since he signed with us (22 in 63 league apps) maybe isn't good enough.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 09, 2017, 09:36:39 am by MrFrost »
2 days after the season finishes and Fergie and the board are hard at work preparing for the new season, pulling no punches. That is definitely a positive.
The Williams decision may seem controversial, but looking at his record since he signed with us (22 in 63 league apps) maybe isn't good enough.

It is still a goal every 3 games which isn't bad, especially when you'd consider Marquis is our main striker.

Hopefully he has his eye on someone better.

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 09, 2017, 09:48:50 am by Geoff Blakesley »
It may also signify that Fergie is more than confident that Marquis will be staying with us.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 09, 2017, 09:54:54 am by DonnyOsmond »
It shows Fergie thinks he can definitely strengthen those areas of the team whether it's adding first teamer or just stronger depth.

This is how were looking at the moment.

Marosi
Lawlor
Jones

Alcock
Baudry
Butler
Wright
Garratt
Fielding

McCullough
Rowe
Blair
Coppinger
Mason
Longbottom
Beestin
Donaldson

Marquis
Mandeville
May

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 09, 2017, 09:56:23 am by mushRTID »
Fergie loves to sign a striker and with the three M's just signed/staying then Williams was always at risk.

You never know nobody may take him, he's still under contract probably on more money here than he will get elsewhere so why should he go?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 09, 2017, 09:56:41 am by dickos1 »
I don't think it's a complete overhaul, looking at it there's only 2/3 players that have been anywhere near the first team for the majority of this season

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 09, 2017, 09:58:36 am by ditch_drfc »
After the disappointment of the last 5 games, the manner of this coming out so quickly has instilled a bit more confidence in me that Fergie is still the right man for the job. Interesting summer ahead! I hope he moves quickly so we can have a long pre-season of preparation with a full (ish) squad of players.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012