Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:17:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Andy Williams transfer listed  (Read 10518 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Andy Williams transfer listed
« Reply #30 on May 09, 2017, 10:01:35 am by GazLaz »
Two full backs should be first on the shopping list.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 09, 2017, 10:09:38 am by Chris Black come back »
Doubt Ferguson will sign proper full backs. More likely wing backs.

ballysbackin

« Reply #32 on May 09, 2017, 10:11:37 am by ballysbackin »
2 days after the season finishes and Fergie and the board are hard at work preparing for the new season, pulling no punches. That is definitely a positive.
The Williams decision may seem controversial, but looking at his record since he signed with us (22 in 63 league apps) maybe isn't good enough.

I think it is an injury problem or the club are looking  after him and his family to get closer to home.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 09, 2017, 10:12:32 am by Upton Rover »
Middleton and Lund !!! Great news on them been transfer listed but will anyone come in for them? Williams a shocking dessision I think that was helped by the clueless fans who have taken the piss out of him all season. But all in all its a statement that we all were aware of New players wanted for a very tough L1

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 09, 2017, 10:14:12 am by GazLaz »
Doubt Ferguson will sign proper full backs. More likely wing backs.

Players should be able to do both. Obviously some are going to be slightly better going forward and some slightly better at defending but look at the likes of Roberts and JOC. They could do both.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 09, 2017, 10:17:23 am by Chris Black come back »
Yes indeed, although SOD rarely deviated from a 442 where the full backs played in a conventional formation. With 5 at back there is totally different expectations of the full backs.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 09, 2017, 10:23:38 am by RoversAlias »
This is a statement of intent from Fergie: we will not settle for making up the numbers next season. I can't really argue with any of these releases, Williams hasn't impressed much in a lower league this season and is one of our highest earners. McSheffrey has been poor recently for me and Grant was abysmal, so glad Fergie noticed this and has decided against signing him permanently.

I have a friend who works at Frickley and they said that whilst Reece Fielding showed promise and had a good head on his shoulders, Joe Pugh did not and would "never make it as a pro because getting his first contract has gone to his head". Seems to me that Fergie is after better characters in his youngsters, I have an inkling Lund is similar as well although he's one I would have kept on.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 09, 2017, 10:26:51 am by IDM »
Williams is a bit of a surprise particularly given the season he had with Swindon before he joined us.

However don't forget that Fergie has already said he has identified his transfer targets, so he must have players as good as, or better, lined up.

I would have maybe kept McSheffery, and Lund to strengthen the squad, but Fergie will have his plans in place.  Don't forget he bought well last summer.

We do need a tall strong CF IMHO, and definitely hold on to Marquis!

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 09, 2017, 10:37:41 am by chrisd_123 »
Williams is a bit of a surprise particularly given the season he had with Swindon before he joined us.

However don't forget that Fergie has already said he has identified his transfer targets, so he must have players as good as, or better, lined up.

I would have maybe kept McSheffery, and Lund to strengthen the squad, but Fergie will have his plans in place.  Don't forget he bought well last summer.

We do need a tall strong CF IMHO, and definitely hold on to Marquis!

I can't see Marquis going anywhere. If you'd only seen him in the games after promotion you'd be questioning why he's as high as League Two!

Get him a good partner in League One, however, he could be frightening again.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 09, 2017, 10:43:58 am by Colemans Left Hook »
after a sheff united match recently the manager was talking about signing players and he said there was one out there today - but he wanted too much money (presumably earlier in the season)- been trying to find the clip from April

so colemans says the decks are being cleared financially for a "rovers return"

let's look into my CRYSTAL ball
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:48:32 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 09, 2017, 10:57:01 am by Retdon1 »
I agree with all these. If we are to challenge next season then we need better than Williams, Middleton etc. Looks like the board will be backing him to bring in the players he wants.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 09, 2017, 11:12:44 am by Colemans Left Hook »
errr  what about  contacts... what contacts !!!

we are still waiting for a season long youth loanee from a certain club

seem to recall when the Dingles were in division one they signed plenty of loanees from his dad's old club

expect 4 long term loanees by the start of the season  hopefully a couple from Jose - having a pair makes it much easier to settle in in strange surroundings

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 09, 2017, 01:02:44 pm by Susan Abbott »
Not signing Grant either
Let just say , his up not to our standards !!

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 09, 2017, 01:24:11 pm by Belle_Vue »
Wonder if Middleton or Lund could do what Marsoi did last year.

He was set to be realised and something obviously happened (maybe or targets not available) and a year on he has been or No1 for most of the season and earnt a new contract

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 09, 2017, 02:08:07 pm by Alan Southstand »
From my perspective, the manager has identified quite a few weak links and perhaps with AW it was a case of him being unsettled and ready for a move back south. He is the only one on the list where we could get a fee.

The released and transfer listed list only pleases me IF we get in much better and, ATM, we have no idea who is going to come in. There's some who are already making massive assumptions. I agree that it was needed to enable us to have half a chance next season. There are going to be some good strong sides in Div 1 next season, so we can't afford standards to slip like they did in the last 5 matches.

We don't just need extra strength and quality but we need mentally strong players as well.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 09, 2017, 02:09:42 pm by Dare to dream! »
I think listing the young ones (Lund & Middleton) might be a tactic used by Ferguson to get them to up their game and get serious.

However I definitely agree with Ferguson on getting rid of the rest, especially Williams. He isn't good enough or productive enough in other areas. If they all do go it gets rid of most of the players remaining from the Dickov era and hopefully start to see some change.

I've been critical of Ferguson because of last season and the last few weeks. However this has renewed my belief I had when he was appointed that he will become a good manager for us.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 09, 2017, 02:12:33 pm by IDM »
DF acted quickly and decisively last summer - did anyone really expect us to get Tommy Rowe in the 4th division?  He should be a better player too next season in the higher league.

I expect Fergie will be doing much the same now, having identified targets since we got promoted and probably beforehand too.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 09, 2017, 02:15:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
He'll be a much better player if he plays in the right position!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 09, 2017, 02:20:00 pm by NickDRFC »
Williams the only unusual one for me - he has much more to give but seemingly Fergie doesn't think he can get it out of him. Clean break probably best for both parties.

I'd be surprised if we get a fee for him though - only a year left on his contract, wrong side of 30 and it's pretty obvious we want him off the wage bill.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 09, 2017, 02:43:50 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I can see Williams being listed was borderline, but that's the right decision and a much needed positive sign of the board's intentions. What we should end up with is someone better.

Middleton and Lund are borderline too, the future is maybe in their hands, a good managing decision as has been said.

Overall there's not a great change but good space cleared for some quality improvements.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 09, 2017, 02:49:52 pm by mushRTID »
Fergies interview he says he shouldn't have played Luke again on Saturday and it was a mistake. But that he didn't have the confidence in the alternatives and that's reflected in his decisions.

Sounds like he just doesn't rate Middleton.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 09, 2017, 03:32:42 pm by albie »
The lads still under contract will still be at Rovers next season unless someone is willing to take them.
That means they get an equal or better offer than their current terms, unless a promise of first team football is given.

I still think a good few will be back for next term, so lets hope that they see it as a motivation to improve their game!

roversron

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 09, 2017, 03:43:23 pm by roversron »
If williams contact was up this summer I don't think he would sign a new deal. From signing as the main man up front he is now struggling to start.  With 12 months left clubs will be prepared to spend at least 50k on a proven 20 goal striker. If may has a good pre season williams will play 20 minutes a week for the next season. Good decision in my eyes.

Hope it's all spelt right donnywolf! !!!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 09, 2017, 04:12:54 pm by The Red Baron »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p052fdrp

Well worth a listen. Explains a lot, including the end of season collapse.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 09, 2017, 04:18:09 pm by johnny rovers »
So presuming all the transfer listed players leave, plus Grant - that's 11 players leaving.

IMO we will need to be signing a dozen players

I'd take 7 quality signings rather than go for quantity

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 09, 2017, 04:24:44 pm by raggytash »
Tbf I think Ferguson as got it spot on... not one of the released were good enough for l1 and a big cull of dead wood was required!!!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 09, 2017, 09:33:30 pm by Lesonthewest »
Fergies bang on with the list, Williams was so frustrating & his body language never looked quite right, good move for all really. Love how we are getting things done early again, in fact I dare say since promotion & before plans & targets for next season have been put in place. Going to a very interesting summer.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 09, 2017, 09:58:58 pm by johnny rovers »
I think if there was a way to keep McSheffrey with our budget then we should have done.  He can still do a job.  A little surprised at Williams.

We cannot afford to carry players who are injury prone. We need younger players that can be an investment if need be. Correct decision!

Each to their own...I am comfortable with my opinion :-)

So you would keep Williams and would you want to add further strikers to the squad, how big do you think the playing budget it I ask?

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 09, 2017, 10:35:05 pm by southwestexile »
Positive intent indeed. And makes me optimistic for next year.

Christ, if we were Plymouth, we might even have an open top bus parade to celebrate 🤣

Their 2016/17 League 2 Champions T Shirts are available for £2 from their club shop #cheapskatew**kers

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 10, 2017, 02:21:50 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I was in the keep Williams club but as the season has wore on he just hasn't shown enough. On the rest of the players i agree with them although McSheffrey i might have given a seasons contract but he might have better options he can get. I think a few have added themselves to that list in failing to win the league. Grant i just think he talked him up too much and having him in the side pushed a better player in Tommy Rowe sideways. He just hasn't really done it for us i agree on not signing him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012