Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:52:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Your lowest moment..  (Read 9616 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Your lowest moment..
« Reply #30 on May 10, 2017, 01:55:51 pm by NickDRFC »
Losing 2-1 at Drill Field to Northwich Victoria. Ian Snodin picked the smallest front line probably in Rovers history with Watson, Goodwin and Caudwell. Mark Hume came off the bench to add some height and muscle but it was too late.

Sat dejected on the terrace with my mate, looking at Northwich's Kop which was about 30 fans huddled under a bus shelter, Rovers sat just above the Conference relegation zone I said "Surely we cant get any lower than this can we!?"

Thankfully, we didn't. Literally the lowest moment!

Remember that game well, think it was our second season though so not sure we would have been just above the relegation zone, and if we were I'm pretty sure the game was only in August anyway!

Dire performance and I remember, even though we were used to Belle Vue, that we were practically standing on the pitch. Watson missed a tackle right in front of us and my dad shouted something along the lines of "You're not fit to wear the shirt Watson!" Of course he heard it all perfectly, and I'll never forget the look in his welling up eyes - it was like Old Yeller had just been shot in front of him.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 10, 2017, 02:16:20 pm by philsky »

Lowest point.

Sat in the stands in front of Glyn Snodin at Welling in our first season in the conference and noticed a guy in the ground with his dog !

It just hit me about the awful reality of the situation.

1-1 draw I think.

San Siro stadium ?

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #32 on May 10, 2017, 02:26:34 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
The car crash which killed Nicholson, I was a child at the time and all around were so sad. Cliched I know but that was more than about football.

Then so many humiliations, losing heavily at Bury around 1973(?), Before that losing at home to Halifax in the cup 1-3.
But the real low was the Colchester game, and I was on that pitch and devastated.

And the only time I was in tears was the last game at Belle Vue, when the crowd sang 'we are leaving' to the tune of 'we are sailing'.

Then more embarrassed and irritated by the 'experiment' which turned us into a joke.

I realise now that there are many different types of sadness and watch the Rovers for long enough you will experience most if them.

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 10, 2017, 03:05:56 pm by Belle_Vue »
Lowest moment?
Remember getting tickets for an away game on the front row.. That was pretty low

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 10, 2017, 04:44:49 pm by idler »
The car crash which killed Nicholson, I was a child at the time and all around were so sad. Cliched I know but that was more than about football.

Then so many humiliations, losing heavily at Bury around 1973(?), Before that losing at home to Halifax in the cup 1-3.
But the real low was the Colchester game, and I was on that pitch and devastated.

And the only time I was in tears was the last game at Belle Vue, when the crowd sang 'we are leaving' to the tune of 'we are sailing'.

Then more embarrassed and irritated by the 'experiment' which turned us into a joke.

I realise now that there are many different types of sadness and watch the Rovers for long enough you will experience most if them.

I think that it was more despair than sadness Longbridge. We really were looking down the barrel at that point. Unlike some of the other clubs that have come out of situations better off.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 10, 2017, 10:35:36 pm by les@donr »
Sitting in Main Stand at BV with a fellow 1000 fans watching us play FGR, reality hits we are no longer a FL team, and maybe never will be again.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 10, 2017, 10:52:46 pm by GazLaz »
Sitting in Main Stand at BV with a fellow 1000 fans watching us play FGR, reality hits we are no longer a FL team, and maybe never will be again.

Went to watch us get beat a FG away and Stayleybrige away. Sad times.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 11, 2017, 08:06:17 am by Herman Hessian »

Lowest point.

Sat in the stands in front of Glyn Snodin at Welling in our first season in the conference and noticed a guy in the ground with his dog !

welling fans' finest moment:

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 11, 2017, 08:28:37 am by acko »
after 65 + years there as probably more lowest moments than high,but for me was waiting to watch england under 23 game on tv then told big alick had broke his leg,follow that the passing of the great man and his funeral.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 11, 2017, 08:42:20 am by Rios »
Getting smashed 8-0 at Christmas time during the 97/98 season at Leyton Orient and the coach breaking down on the way home.  Went to every game home and away that season and that was the one when I almost packed it in altogether.

The Free Press threatening to sue me wasn't overly pleasant for a nieve youngster either!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 11, 2017, 09:40:03 am by idler »
Getting smashed 8-0 at Christmas time during the 97/98 season at Leyton Orient and the coach breaking down on the way home.  Went to every game home and away that season and that was the one when I almost packed it in altogether.

The Free Press threatening to sue me wasn't overly pleasant for a nieve youngster either!
Why was that Rios?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 11, 2017, 10:25:31 am by wing commander »
  Has to be walking behind the mock coffin...Genuinely felt like that was it for the club..Most infuriating was the home game against Halifax in the 90 season...I didn't go as I needed to buy a new car and we were on a big losing streak...I listened to it on the radio while trawling round the dealerships..At h/t we were 3-0 up and I thought balls to this I'm going...So arrived at h/t paid full price to get in....And watched Halifax rattle in a hatfull to win 4-3...

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 11, 2017, 11:04:48 am by Chris Black come back »
Strangely I found end of '98 season and relegation a relief as I knew the only way was up, whether we ceased to exist in current form or were rejuvenated in some other form. Loved those first few games under the new regime, that Southport first home game was surreal. 

Dark days under The Experiment, remember the Birmingham away game and Sharp looking around thinking wtf are these lot smoking...

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 11, 2017, 01:23:39 pm by German Rover »
Shit myself away at Notts county a few years ago. That was a definite low point.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 11, 2017, 03:56:40 pm by Goole Rover »
What about the Chester match (1997-1998) although we won I was so down hearted to be part of only 749 or so. Can't remember precise figure, no doubt someone will put me right. I wonder how many of that crowd are still with us.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 11, 2017, 04:30:59 pm by Herman Hessian »
What about the Chester match (1997-1998) although we won I was so down hearted to be part of only 749 or so. Can't remember precise figure, no doubt someone will put me right. I wonder how many of that crowd are still with us.

losing at home to Barnet on a Tuesday night in front of another sub-1000 crowd was fairly grim too, but - on the up side in that same season - that win at Peterborough was f**king ace :-)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 11, 2017, 04:54:46 pm by Donnywolf »

me. Me , ME

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 11, 2017, 06:22:01 pm by RobTheRover »
There have been many in almost 60 years of following Rovers.
Going onto the pitch after the Colchester game not knowing if we would have a club the next season. That has to be the worst feeling ever.
I too was on the pitch, i remember clearly trying to console one of my mates who was in floods, he set me off blubbing, what a horrible, heartbreaking day.

I was on there too. My mate Daz and I decided to clamber  over the fences to the condemned Town End terracing to stand in the very spots one last time where our dads had brought us to our first ever games. We roared like babies. I was convinced I'd just watched my last ever rovers game. 

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 11, 2017, 07:40:06 pm by Lesonthewest »
  Has to be walking behind the mock coffin...Genuinely felt like that was it for the club..Most infuriating was the home game against Halifax in the 90 season...I didn't go as I needed to buy a new car and we were on a big losing streak...I listened to it on the radio while trawling round the dealerships..At h/t we were 3-0 up and I thought balls to this I'm going...So arrived at h/t paid full price to get in....And watched Halifax rattle in a hatfull to win 4-3...

Was at that game, if ever there was a game of two halves. Absolutely soul destroying & as weird as it was as soon as they pulled one back you just knew what was going to happen.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 11, 2017, 07:56:22 pm by Retdon1 »
I started watching us regularly our first season in the conference so just missed the Richardson era. My 3 worst/most gutting feelings after a game were

1. Getting relegated at Leicester
2. The 2-1 defeat away at Brighton first game of the season a few years ago.
3. The game where 10 man Barnsley beat us 4-1 at oakwell

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 11, 2017, 08:22:26 pm by Belle_Vue »
That Oakwell defeat where Jamal Cambell-Ryce tore us to sheds?

Didn't that young lad score for them also? His name escapes me

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 11, 2017, 08:24:21 pm by Belle_Vue »
Ruben Nobel-lazaras

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 11, 2017, 08:24:48 pm by Draytonian III »
I was at the Chester match ,might have been the match we won with a goalkeepers clearance hitting Mike Smith and going in

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 11, 2017, 08:27:55 pm by Herman Hessian »

ahhh - lewis dunk - take a bow, you twȧt !

not sure who's the biggest ȧrsehole - him or ashley vickers....

i see dunk managed twenty odd games for brighton this season, let's hope that costa or benteke dance round him and make him look a cretin on live tv next year, and then smash his jaw or eye socket with an elbow for good measure...

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 11, 2017, 09:29:04 pm by Retdon1 »

Yeah we were one nil up and then Lewis guy went through on goal and I think it was Darren Moore brought him down and got sent off. From then on they destroyed us with Campbell Ryce the main culprit.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 11, 2017, 09:31:49 pm by Retdon1 »

ahhh - lewis dunk - take a bow, you twȧt !

not sure who's the biggest ȧrsehole - him or ashley vickers....

i see dunk managed twenty odd games for brighton this season, let's hope that costa or benteke dance round him and make him look a cretin on live tv next year, and then smash his jaw or eye socket with an elbow for good measure...

Yep Lewis dunk the d*ck. The events of that game pretty much destroyed our start to the season resulting in SOD losing his job, and the whole willie mckay experiment taking place.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 11, 2017, 09:34:55 pm by Rios »

Why was that Rios?

They weren't overly enamoured with me slagging them off in the fanzine.  If I'd been older and wiser I'd have told them to f*** off but when you're 19 you don't really know any better!  Their coverage of the whole Richardson thing was appalling and still rankles to this day.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on May 11, 2017, 09:40:52 pm by Donnywolf »

Yeah we were one nil up and then Lewis guy went through on goal and I think it was Darren Moore brought him down and got sent off. From then on they destroyed us with Campbell Ryce the main culprit.

I have said to this day that LG actually slowed down so DM could bring him down rather that him having to go one on oe with the Keeper

And by god you are right Campbell - Rice sorted us out after that

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on May 11, 2017, 10:00:13 pm by idler »

Why was that Rios?

They weren't overly enamoured with me slagging them off in the fanzine.  If I'd been older and wiser I'd have told them to f*** off but when you're 19 you don't really know any better!  Their coverage of the whole Richardson thing was appalling and still rankles to this day.
Yes it still annoys me too.
No contact from the DFP apart from a threat then?
I remember John Helm having a pee against the side of the main stand at one home game. Those toilets were crowded and awful,
I said to him "Can't you do anything John"? and he just shrugged his shoulders. Nobody anywhere cared but the fans.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 11, 2017, 10:52:48 pm by not on facebook »
DFP Today is still shite and I will say it in capital letters DFP TODAY IS STILL SHITE

If they want to sue me they can take it out of my nose

TinyPortal © 2005-2012