Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:16:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Your lowest moment..  (Read 9671 times)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Your lowest moment..
« Reply #60 on May 11, 2017, 11:16:11 pm by RobTheRover »

Lowest point.

Sat in the stands in front of Glyn Snodin at Welling in our first season in the conference and noticed a guy in the ground with his dog !

welling fans' finest moment:

Have you got all of DFR archived, Herman?  Jeez, that took me back.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on May 11, 2017, 11:25:22 pm by Herman Hessian »
Have you got all of DFR archived, Herman?  Jeez, that took me back.

heh - probably half of it, though that pic wasn't a DFR effort - supposedly Welling fans taking the piss out of a Maidstone United keeper after letting in a soft goal - picture's definitely at Welling - that's the very thin terrace at the Danson Park end of the ground....

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on May 12, 2017, 03:09:56 am by Move DRFC »
2. The 2-1 defeat away at Brighton first game of the season a few years ago.

ahhh - lewis dunk - take a bow, you twȧt !

not sure who's the biggest ȧrsehole - him or ashley vickers....

i see dunk managed twenty odd games for brighton this season, let's hope that costa or benteke dance round him and make him look a cretin on live tv next year, and then smash his jaw or eye socket with an elbow for good measure...

I didn't think a whole season could be ruined by one game until that Brighton game. Heartbreaking defeat and lost our two best players through injury. I really think that if we won that game and Sharp and Mason stayed fit that season would have been a whole lot different. We were about to build the team around Mason, who ended the previous season looking a class act.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on May 12, 2017, 06:36:46 am by Chris Black come back »
Did you see our back four that day?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on May 12, 2017, 07:29:03 am by RoversAlias »
Why do so many people misremember that Brighton game as Sharp and Mason getting injured? It was Sharp and James Hayter, Mason was crocked in our first round League Cup tie at the Keepmoat a few days later.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on May 12, 2017, 09:31:45 am by podrover73 »
Richardson and Weaver make the lowest point :

When they made the main stand their own by banning all fans from being in there so they could feel safe.

Weaver bringing in his next door neighbour as goalkeeper and surrounding himself with local heavies to protect himself.
Will always remember his arrogance to the fans.

Never thought we would ever get rid of them.

Sitting on the pitch at the Colchester game hoping we could somehow stop the inevitable :rtid: 

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on May 12, 2017, 10:08:59 am by Goole Rover »
Why do so many people misremember that Brighton game as Sharp and Mason getting injured? It was Sharp and James Hayter, Mason was crocked in our first round League Cup tie at the Keepmoat a few days later.
The architect of that thuggery was Gus Poyet, cost us the season a horrible man to use such tactics, wonder where they came from. I've normally felt sorry when someone gets the sack but on his occasion it was time to celebrate.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on May 12, 2017, 12:46:23 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
are you telling me DFP has ACTUALLY discovered DRFC I used to wonder why there was never a football match report in DFP
:headbang:

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on May 12, 2017, 06:12:09 pm by Al4475 »
The Cheltenham result was a very low ebb, also obviously the debacle of a season that sent us out of the league! I know they're obvious choices but they were real downers especially the Cheltenham one - thank God the 3 games after that were so amazing!

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on May 12, 2017, 08:49:39 pm by Move DRFC »
Did you see our back four that day?

Naylor was no good but Friend & Spurr were good and Dumbuya was showing excellent promise.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on May 12, 2017, 08:58:51 pm by RedJ »
Dumbuya turned out to be cack.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on May 12, 2017, 09:09:07 pm by Move DRFC »

He did yes.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on May 13, 2017, 06:45:21 am by 1879Rovers »
There have been many in almost 60 years of following Rovers.
Going onto the pitch after the Colchester game not knowing if we would have a club the next season. That has to be the worst feeling ever.

Totally this. I walked off the pitch thinking that was it all over. Over 100 years of history going down the pan. I remember turning around as I walked off on the pop side thinking, 'thanks for the memories.'

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on May 13, 2017, 02:29:29 pm by philsky »
2. The 2-1 defeat away at Brighton first game of the season a few years ago.

ahhh - lewis dunk - take a bow, you twȧt !

not sure who's the biggest ȧrsehole - him or ashley vickers....

i see dunk managed twenty odd games for brighton this season, let's hope that costa or benteke dance round him and make him look a cretin on live tv next year, and then smash his jaw or eye socket with an elbow for good measure...

I didn't think a whole season could be ruined by one game until that Brighton game. Heartbreaking defeat and lost our two best players through injury. I really think that if we won that game and Sharp and Mason stayed fit that season would have been a whole lot different. We were about to build the team around Mason, who ended the previous season looking a class act.

I do remember the Brighton fans chortling on the bus that takes you to the car park after the match until a Rovers fan was candid about Dunk

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on May 13, 2017, 06:39:33 pm by essexrover »

He did yes.
But ended up in the Scottish Premier League !?!? 'Nuff said !

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on May 13, 2017, 07:02:10 pm by essexrover »
Bearing in mind I've lived away from Donny for 32 years I have less " I was there " moments to choose from.
The '98/99 defeat away to Hayes specifically ( in fact they did the double over us if memory serves), & that season in general sticks in my mind as very grim indeed. Relegation & then just about keeping our heads above water in the Conference was very very worrying.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on May 13, 2017, 07:40:26 pm by Drover »
Not my lowest moment,but one thats has always stuck in my mind as depressing was,Bristol Rovers at home,in the Cusack days,late-eighties,an  October midweek night game,at bottom of league one,think we only had about 1300 turn up,Torrential downpouring virtually all match,strong cold gusts of wind,standing downwind at side of mainstand to try and stay dry,think they had Gary Penrice playing for them then,with is moustache and after a comparatively good game from us,we just lost 1-0 and think Penrice scored.Nigel Martyn might have been their goalie too.Thoroughly depressive  :suicide: :lol:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:42:30 pm by Drover »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on May 13, 2017, 08:56:23 pm by BobG »
I was at that first match at the San Siro too Philsky. A nasty, damp day. But that wasn't my worst experience tbh. I was a bit tempted to say away at Macclesfield Town as that was the first match of that awful relegation season. My Dad and I went together. It was obvious to the pair of us that that side was going to have a hard, hard season. Poor old Darren Brookes at centre half. He tried and tried and tried - but he was never going to be a league footballer. I've never forgiven Firestarter and that Gob on a Stick sidekick of his for persuading that poor lad to give up his job to play for the Rovers. But the worst has to be away at Cardiff that very same season. I went with a Cardiff mate. Sometime in the second half he turned to me and said words to the effect of 'If I didn't know better I'd say half your team are trying to score at the wrong end'. He was hardly wrong. We lost 7-1: the gifts and misplaced passes from some of the Rovers that day warranted an investigation by the FL as far as I was concerned. I am still convinced, to this day, that there was soemthing very, very odd indeed about that coterie of players from south Manchester that ended up at BV. Which one was it turned up driving a Porsche? Lots of stories about drugs and money laundering floating about back then...

BobG

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on May 13, 2017, 09:34:06 pm by rich1471 »
Sitting in Main Stand at BV with a fellow 1000 fans watching us play FGR, reality hits we are no longer a FL team, and maybe never will be again.

Went to watch us get beat a FG away and Stayleybrige away. Sad times.
if you jumped up at welling you hit your head on the roof which was made up of scaffolding poles and metal sheeting about 6ft high and bogs with salon doors for some strange reason

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on May 13, 2017, 11:26:49 pm by idler »
I was at that first match at the San Siro too Philsky. A nasty, damp day. But that wasn't my worst experience tbh. I was a bit tempted to say away at Macclesfield Town as that was the first match of that awful relegation season. My Dad and I went together. It was obvious to the pair of us that that side was going to have a hard, hard season. Poor old Darren Brookes at centre half. He tried and tried and tried - but he was never going to be a league footballer. I've never forgiven Firestarter and that Gob on a Stick sidekick of his for persuading that poor lad to give up his job to play for the Rovers. But the worst has to be away at Cardiff that very same season. I went with a Cardiff mate. Sometime in the second half he turned to me and said words to the effect of 'If I didn't know better I'd say half your team are trying to score at the wrong end'. He was hardly wrong. We lost 7-1: the gifts and misplaced passes from some of the Rovers that day warranted an investigation by the FL as far as I was concerned. I am still convinced, to this day, that there was soemthing very, very odd indeed about that coterie of players from south Manchester that ended up at BV. Which one was it turned up driving a Porsche? Lots of stories about drugs and money laundering floating about back then...

BobG
It was the second away match Bob.
We lost at Shrewsbury the first match of the season.
By the time we played Macclesfield we had also conceded 8 to Forest and 5 to Peterborough, both at home.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on May 14, 2017, 12:18:50 am by BobG »
Sorry. I meant the first time we played at the San Siro. Not that it was the first away match of the season. Not very well expressed. :(

Cheers

Bob

ballysbackin

« Reply #81 on May 15, 2017, 08:44:51 am by ballysbackin »
All the ups and downs of games good and bad were not important as I left Belle Vue after the last game, we hung around for a bit and then left and as I pass the old ground area most days, I saw them tear apart my life's memories of DRFC and build boxes. If I had won the Big Lottery I would have personally paid for the improvements that were needed to make it a very good ground which would be Belle Vue for ever.

It may have been cold and wet but it was home, IMO the KM is colder sitting on concrete, yes a modern ground but not the same.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on May 15, 2017, 12:31:05 pm by ravenrover »
I don't normally travel past BelleVue but it was my Mums funeral last week and we had to drive past to the crem, pointed it out to my missus and it reminded us of when we met behind the donny end goals all those years back, brought a tear to her eye. Not as many as it brings to my eye after all these years!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on May 16, 2017, 10:17:59 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Apart from the obvious, I've had loads of low points.

The first that I can recall was a game at home against Brentford in 1982/3. We were 4-0 up at half time and ended up drawing 4-4. I was absolutely gutted.
Billy Bremmner going to Leeds in '85 was another low point. He was in the process of building a really, really good side that I was convinced were strong contenders for promotion into Division 2. Unfortunately, BB left and quite a few players went at the same time thus the team was pretty much dismantled.
The youth cup final in '88. We had possibly the greatest set of young players in our history and faced Arsenal in the 2 legged final. We were a match for Arsenal in every department except in attack where Kevin Campbell completely tore the Rovers apart. We then proceeded to sell the youth players one by one to anyone who wanted them and the potential legacy disappeared.   
Missing THAT goal by Kieron Brady at Scunny cos I was having a piss
Losing to Tranmere in the Leyland Daf semi final
The experiment. I was one of the few who thought it was a good idea. I thought that it was an exciting and innovative way of potentially pushing through the Championship. I guess that's why I'm a welder and not a football chairman/manager.

There's plenty more but I'm coming over all depressed thinking about them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012