Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:45:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A Relegation and a Promotion, Should Fergie go now?  (Read 3463 times)

Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin

• Forum Member
Anyone who likes the odd bet realizes that its difficult to judge your own team. You have people who are so frustrated and angered by a result that they have a massive knee-jerk over reaction and start claiming that they follow the worst, most unlucky team in sporting history "Typical Rovers".

Then there are those that "Support" the team and sing "by far the greatest team the World has ever seen" with absolute sincerity, despite all statistical analysis proving otherwise. "Support" that leaves some Arsenal fans claiming being knockout at the CL last 16 is as good as winning a trophy and "the champion should be the best League Position vs Net Spend and Total wage bill" (an Everton fan on BBC's HYS yesterday).

So lets try to be objective about Fergie for a moment. One Relegation/One Promotion: Many say that means the last 2 Seasons balance out but we were Odds-on for promotion at the beginning of this Season and outsiders for relegation at the beginning of last Season (priced up as more likely for promotion than relegation in fact). So in one season he met expectations and the other he fell well short. By his own 3 Year plan we should be a mid Table Championship Team by now.

Maybe it was right to give him another Season or 2 last Summer but things have changed. The catastrophic collapse at the business end of both campaigns could be an anomaly or coincidence  but lets face it, it probably does points to some underlying problem at the club and maybe not problems related to DF. However, Even the most casual of Rovers fans will have noticed the drop in form at almost exactly the same point two Seasons running which means collectively we are very likely to get trigger happy if next Season starts badly and I doubt the Board will be blaming themselves. So they are in a tough spot thanks to our 3rd place finish. Get rid of Fergie by Mutual consent, giving him the sack or hoping Wolves "Poach" him and it looks like they are saying this Season was a failure despite meeting our objective, or alternatively back the Manager that got us promoted and then potentially have to replace him before Christmas or even Bonfire night. The board could be bold (but wont) and have an amicable split, find a new manager to back, take the flack from the fans and media but know they have done what is best for the club in the medium to long term.

What concerns me about Fergie's Managerial style is that its a little more Roy Keane than Sir Alex (i.e. If the hairdryers not working bring out the chainsaw). His old man grew up the son of a Shipbuilder in an era of working class footballers who still had a link with their communities. So its no great surprise he learnt about teamwork and togetherness for the greater good. Darren grew up the son of a major corporations CEO in an era of celebrity footballers who were wealthy, glamorous and had had plenty of media training. So its no great surprise that Darren views the World as an individual rather than as part of a collective.
I think this is where his man management issues stem from. He has cultivated a perception that a loss is the players fault and a win is a vindication of "his" way of playing. Unfortunately like Ranieri at Leicester and Moaniniho part 2 at Chelsea the players will eventually resent this double standard. When a win is a player "just doing his job" and a loss is a player "Letting down his Manager" where is the incentive to perform? Couple this with watching the guy in the dugout taking the plaudits for a win and deflecting the blame for a loss and you've got a pretty surefire way to lose the dressing room.
His PR skills were again on show after the Hartlepool result, First off Hartlepool feel worse than us so its not that bad, then those players are straight back in Monday Morning for some hairdryer/chainsaw treatment, then get rid of 50% of the Squad before the weeks out to prove you've "learned something about the character of these players".
My personel theory on the collapses is that Fergie tells them all that some of them will not be there next Year and down to the fact that he can't help but gob off at anyone who annoys him (Including members of the crowd) the whole squad knows who those players are and that is demoralizing for everyone.

In my opinion if we want to be a bold forward thinking Football Club then DF should go. Perhaps a Director of Football role where his PR Skills and eye for a good signing will be utilized but his poor man management will not effect the day-to-day running of the Club. Many teams in many sports use this system one person in charge of long-term success another in charge game by game, It can fool people into thinking David Moyes, Roberto Martinez and Ronald Koeman are architects of success rather than good tactical match day coaches.

One more thing:
"Players are on the beach" as a metaphor for the Club coasting after promotion but before clinching the Title is all well and good but "Fans on the Pitch" embodies the same principle and actually physically happened.
Also giving a Manager credit for being 1-0 up in a game that ended in a 2-1 defeat because "he got us in that position to start with" is clearly wildly unreasonable and illogical, It would also presumably mean Roy Hodgson deserves credit for the Iceland game. A "supporter" doesn't have to defend the indefensible.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: A Relegation and a Promotion, Should Fergie go now?
« Reply #1 on May 09, 2017, 12:37:09 pm by GazLaz »
Stopped reading at "odds on for promotion", we weren't.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 09, 2017, 12:42:26 pm by Herman Hessian »
pretty fủcking impressive for a first post - too much common sense and solid reasoning for your own good, though - expect a rough ride...

oh, and - you are Darren Ferguson and I claim my ten pounds
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:49:00 pm by Herman Hessian »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 09, 2017, 06:48:21 pm by wilts rover »
pretty fủcking impressive for a first post - too much common sense and solid reasoning for your own good, though - expect a rough ride...

oh, and - you are Darren Ferguson and I claim my ten pounds

Why would Darren Ferguson be calling for Darren Ferguson to be sacked? Double bluff? Compo?

Nah just another fan who thinks he/she is an expert because they watch Sky Sports. Most likely too another user who has previously posted under a different name - it's like raise the zombie dead in here at the moment.

The last four games are as much use in predicting how next season will pan out as any of the games we won in January when he was manager of the month. You can sack the bloke who you think is responsible for the collapse of four games, or you can sack the League 2 Manager of the Year, it's your choice. But beware, what makes you think the next bloke will automatically be better, remember what happened the last time we sacked the manager who gave us promotion, the bright new future came in two words - Paul Dickov.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 10, 2017, 12:33:06 am by dickos1 »
"However, Even the most casual of Rovers fans will have noticed the drop in form at almost exactly the same point two Seasons running"

Simply just not true

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 10, 2017, 02:14:37 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Ferguson has talent but he has weaknesses like we all do. Looking from afar he seems to have a problem going from game to game he is already planning miles in front. That's good in some ways but you have to make sure the job is done don't take things for granted football is a very cruel game when you do that as we've found out twice-last season and this.
He needs to realise that if he had spent more time on that defence we would have won the league. His old man had attacking teams but he built defences so that when the strikers had an off-day then he still got a point. If you can't organise a defence yourself get somebody in who can, you can't as a manager be good at everything. Or get players in who are natural organisers which is hard as in my opinion players talk to each other on the pitch less than they did.

He put right what went wrong from last season. Let's not forget he for a time had us almost safe after us looking goners, yes it all went wrong but even at his age he still has things to learn as we all do. There really is no reason for him to be under pressure from the start as a lot of what he has done has been good. He has tried to build a side that can serve us for a few years. He plays attacking football worth watching it's just little details which are just stopping him achieving what he should.

Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 10, 2017, 02:23:37 am by Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin »
Wow! Expected a few more negative comments than this. So just like Tony Blair I'm gonna assume anyone not protesting wholeheartedly agrees with everything I've said.

"Odds on for promotion" guy. you're right I should have said "odds on for promotion with William Hill" or maybe "in the top 2/3 for the Title with all high street Bookmakers so therefore projected by the gambling industry to be promoted." I think mine sounds better and either way the point is still the same.....   

Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 10, 2017, 02:23:58 am by Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin »
...As for that weird angry guy for Swindon or whatever. I'd like to know which user I remind you of so I can have a read of their posts see if we share similar sensibilities. As far as I'm concerned you'd have to be as sad as Dickos1 to do something like that.

In response:

LMA League Two Manager of the Year 2017 isn't decide until next Jan.

If results in Jan were the same 2 Seasons running you might have a point but they weren't.

and finally and most importantly... What makes you think I consider myself an expert? Is it the fact I've written a long post?
Most people would think a hypothesis that the says the Manager that has just got us Promoted should be sacked might need a bit of substance to back it up, Agree with me or not I have attempted to put some meat on the bones of my argument which I think is better than writing "you're an idiot" and then composing a 5 page essay on riding your push iron to work on a Football website.

Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 10, 2017, 02:24:15 am by Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin »
Oh and Dicko is gonna tell us yet again that losing a game when you've already been promoted is irrelevant but winning one when you've already been Relegated is massively important

There is reality and then there is perception, My point is the fact that most fans both casual and angry red faced types perceive DRFC to have blown a mid table L1 finish and then blown a winning position in the L2 Title hunt means that collectively as a Club we are more than likely going to be very impatient next year. My point was that perhaps rather than sticking our fingers in our ears and closing our eyes we could address the problem in the off-season.

Immigrants stealing your jobs and Donald Trump the business genius. Both these statements are clearly not true but the fact that they were perceived to be true by the majority of voters turned out to be a lot more important than the truth. So 1.6 ppg in 2016 vs 0.2 ppg in 2017 might be a big difference but don't expect the November boo boys to give a sh*t.

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 10, 2017, 09:05:05 am by Susan Abbott »
Anyone who likes the odd bet realizes that its difficult to judge your own team. You have people who are so frustrated and angered by a result that they have a massive knee-jerk over reaction and start claiming that they follow the worst, most unlucky team in sporting history "Typical Rovers".

Then there are those that "Support" the team and sing "by far the greatest team the World has ever seen" with absolute sincerity, despite all statistical analysis proving otherwise. "Support" that leaves some Arsenal fans claiming being knockout at the CL last 16 is as good as winning a trophy and "the champion should be the best League Position vs Net Spend and Total wage bill" (an Everton fan on BBC's HYS yesterday).

So lets try to be objective about Fergie for a moment. One Relegation/One Promotion: Many say that means the last 2 Seasons balance out but we were Odds-on for promotion at the beginning of this Season and outsiders for relegation at the beginning of last Season (priced up as more likely for promotion than relegation in fact). So in one season he met expectations and the other he fell well short. By his own 3 Year plan we should be a mid Table Championship Team by now.

Maybe it was right to give him another Season or 2 last Summer but things have changed. The catastrophic collapse at the business end of both campaigns could be an anomaly or coincidence  but lets face it, it probably does points to some underlying problem at the club and maybe not problems related to DF. However, Even the most casual of Rovers fans will have noticed the drop in form at almost exactly the same point two Seasons running which means collectively we are very likely to get trigger happy if next Season starts badly and I doubt the Board will be blaming themselves. So they are in a tough spot thanks to our 3rd place finish. Get rid of Fergie by Mutual consent, giving him the sack or hoping Wolves "Poach" him and it looks like they are saying this Season was a failure despite meeting our objective, or alternatively back the Manager that got us promoted and then potentially have to replace him before Christmas or even Bonfire night. The board could be bold (but wont) and have an amicable split, find a new manager to back, take the flack from the fans and media but know they have done what is best for the club in the medium to long term.

What concerns me about Fergie's Managerial style is that its a little more Roy Keane than Sir Alex (i.e. If the hairdryers not working bring out the chainsaw). His old man grew up the son of a Shipbuilder in an era of working class footballers who still had a link with their communities. So its no great surprise he learnt about teamwork and togetherness for the greater good. Darren grew up the son of a major corporations CEO in an era of celebrity footballers who were wealthy, glamorous and had had plenty of media training. So its no great surprise that Darren views the World as an individual rather than as part of a collective.
I think this is where his man management issues stem from. He has cultivated a perception that a loss is the players fault and a win is a vindication of "his" way of playing. Unfortunately like Ranieri at Leicester and Moaniniho part 2 at Chelsea the players will eventually resent this double standard. When a win is a player "just doing his job" and a loss is a player "Letting down his Manager" where is the incentive to perform? Couple this with watching the guy in the dugout taking the plaudits for a win and deflecting the blame for a loss and you've got a pretty surefire way to lose the dressing room.
His PR skills were again on show after the Hartlepool result, First off Hartlepool feel worse than us so its not that bad, then those players are straight back in Monday Morning for some hairdryer/chainsaw treatment, then get rid of 50% of the Squad before the weeks out to prove you've "learned something about the character of these players".
My personel theory on the collapses is that Fergie tells them all that some of them will not be there next Year and down to the fact that he can't help but gob off at anyone who annoys him (Including members of the crowd) the whole squad knows who those players are and that is demoralizing for everyone.

In my opinion if we want to be a bold forward thinking Football Club then DF should go. Perhaps a Director of Football role where his PR Skills and eye for a good signing will be utilized but his poor man management will not effect the day-to-day running of the Club. Many teams in many sports use this system one person in charge of long-term success another in charge game by game, It can fool people into thinking David Moyes, Roberto Martinez and Ronald Koeman are architects of success rather than good tactical match day coaches.

One more thing:
"Players are on the beach" as a metaphor for the Club coasting after promotion but before clinching the Title is all well and good but "Fans on the Pitch" embodies the same principle and actually physically happened.
Also giving a Manager credit for being 1-0 up in a game that ended in a 2-1 defeat because "he got us in that position to start with" is clearly wildly unreasonable and illogical, It would also presumably mean Roy Hodgson deserves credit for the Iceland game. A "supporter" doesn't have to defend the indefensible.
To me the team deflated its ambitions after securing promotion. Our last few results indicate that , we had too many players unfit or just not  able to keep up the required momentum to see it through. DF wanted a championship on his cv but he didn't have a say in the matter as the afore mentioned says he could do little to change the mind set or physical out come . The board wanted to a promotion and i would say they'd welcome an other next season , but not at any cost . DF has the ear of the board and his professional manner in which he keeps the club moving in a direction that  the board can keep an eye on expenditure unlike their Championship venture with JR when funds ran out . He attitude is typical of what he has learned from his experience and influences of his famous father .I think he is honest and up front and the fans like him. He will have learned you get what you pay for at the lower level and not to push beyond their abilities.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 10, 2017, 10:52:44 am by roversam »

One more thing:

one thing I will comment on after reading your post, you've obviously got too much time on your hands 😴

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 10, 2017, 11:27:33 am by Colemans Left Hook »
to post for the hundreth time

Anybody could have got Rovers promotion with that attacking team -
 the only defence Ferguson knows is Hadrians Wall and look at the condition of that

Portsmouth squad got promotion despite the cook producing the wrong recipes  the lack of "elastoplast" continual loan signings made it inevitable the cream would rise to the top

if the owners who care about the Town of Doncaster had not given their backing .and REGENERATED Rovers.... then it would have been mid table ...  so let's say thank you for them for their latest regeneration project

oh and talk of sky i spot the name sky in

Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin

and claim my £5

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:33:33 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 10, 2017, 12:08:57 pm by Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin »
Of course I do have too much time on my hands. I thought about and composed this whilst at work and it was by far the most productive thing I did all day. My boss is a Coventry fan so I think I'm safe.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 10, 2017, 01:51:21 pm by not on facebook »
This chap is SKYblue Sam the blue elephant at Coventry with fcuk off massive ears  as it all fits

As for DF ,I would keep him at the helm but have a word in his ear like as to when he lets his players know who is been kept or not untill the season has finished .

If we take on board that he told players what was what this season which brought on the drop in form

Fcuk players rights and fealings as they are far too much pampered upstarts these days.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 10, 2017, 01:57:30 pm by bobjimwilly »
Oh and Dicko is gonna tell us yet again that losing a game when you've already been promoted is irrelevant but winning one when you've already been Relegated is massively important

Considering you signed up just 2 days ago and have only made 6 posts, you seem to know a lot about Dicko?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: A Relegation and a Promotion, Should Fergie go now?eb
« Reply #15 on May 10, 2017, 02:08:20 pm by not on facebook »
When I read the first post the sound of alarm bells went off around me ,but I can't put my finger on why.

Maybe I was looking into it far too much and said chap is a good apple

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 10, 2017, 02:14:38 pm by Herman Hessian »
f**king great - a conspiracy theory !

can the mods do the IP address checky thing and spoil all the fun, or shall we let it run all summer ?

modifying my original guess slightly - it's DF's dad (hence pushing the "moving upstairs" card as per his career at old trafford); just wait for the Irish racing connections to come to the fore - Coppinger's mob - Flockton Grey - the Coventry connection = Micky Quinn (horses again, see ?)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 10, 2017, 04:44:12 pm by wilts rover »
...As for that weird angry guy for Swindon or whatever. I'd like to know which user I remind you of so I can have a read of their posts see if we share similar sensibilities. As far as I'm concerned you'd have to be as sad as Dickos1 to do something like that.

In response:

LMA League Two Manager of the Year 2017 isn't decide until next Jan.

If results in Jan were the same 2 Seasons running you might have a point but they weren't.

and finally and most importantly... What makes you think I consider myself an expert? Is it the fact I've written a long post?
Most people would think a hypothesis that the says the Manager that has just got us Promoted should be sacked might need a bit of substance to back it up, Agree with me or not I have attempted to put some meat on the bones of my argument which I think is better than writing "you're an idiot" and then composing a 5 page essay on riding your push iron to work on a Football website.

Dunno who you are referring to in the first part of your post - it clearly can't be me as although i have replied to your first post I don't live anywhere near Swindon?

Why would anyone be writing 5 page essays on 'riding your push iron to work'? Strange metaphor to use? And why would a new poster think Dickos is sad - as opposed to any other poster on here? Did you just pluck a name out of thin air?

I wont waste any more time on a WUM - pick your own previous user name(s) to compare your posts with - it will give you time to think of another name.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 10, 2017, 07:03:23 pm by dickos1 »

There is reality and then there is perception, My point is the fact that most fans both casual and angry red faced types perceive DRFC to have blown a mid table L1 finish and then blown a winning position in the L2 Title hunt means that collectively as a Club we are more than likely going to be very impatient next year. My point was that perhaps rather than sticking our fingers in our ears and closing our eyes we could address the problem in the off-season.

Immigrants stealing your jobs and Donald Trump the business genius. Both these statements are clearly not true but the fact that they were perceived to be true by the majority of voters turned out to be a lot more important than the truth. So 1.6 ppg in 2016 vs 0.2 ppg in 2017 might be a big difference but don't expect the November boo boys to give a sh*t.

Neither of our victories at the end of last season came after relegation was confirmed. Maybe a little research wouldn't go a Miss before you write paragraphs of nonsense

Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 10, 2017, 10:39:54 pm by Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin »
Didn't realise so many of you were haunted by the empty seats at the Keepmoat to the point that a new face on the forum is more likely to be someone who wandered in by mistake or one of your mates in disguise!

Pot/Kettle is the usual state of affairs with these type of accusations, In a completely unrated observation, replies 3 & 4 are from Wiltshire and Dicko... and then they went back to back again on 17 & 18.

Nice to see you discredited that "paragraph of nonsense" by concentrating on what I said you said and not on what I was saying. Why not go back to back on paragraphs 2 & 3, there's an obvious mistake in No. 3

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 11, 2017, 03:17:09 pm by drfchound »

Considering you signed up just 2 days ago and have only made 6 posts, you seem to know a lot about Dicko?

One of my friends came on here for six months, just reading the stuff, before he joined a few weeks ago.
It is an open forum that anyone can read so i don't see anything sinister happening here.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 11, 2017, 03:50:16 pm by Herman Hessian »
One of my friends came on here for six months, just reading the stuff, before he joined a few weeks ago.
It is an open forum that anyone can read so i don't see anything sinister happening here.

aye but come on - any excuse to be a miserably contrary fûcker is fair game, surely !

:whistle:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012