Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:37:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Beestin & May  (Read 5583 times)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
Beestin & May
« on May 09, 2017, 12:47:09 pm by Upton Rover »
Have I missed some potential in these two that Fergie as spotted?
Because sad to say not good enough for L2 never mind L1.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Beestin & May
« Reply #1 on May 09, 2017, 12:50:05 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Probably seeing as he sees them everyday in training.

Keenstonian

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 09, 2017, 12:50:57 pm by Keenstonian »
Both work in progress.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 09, 2017, 12:51:15 pm by IDM »
Have I missed some potential in these two that Fergie as spotted?
Because sad to say not good enough for L2 never mind L1.

Clearly yes you have.  DF has been ruthless - transfer listing Lund and Williams for example. 

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 09, 2017, 12:53:07 pm by GazLaz »
Got to give them a chance to develop. Beestin needs to show signs of progress next season though.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 09, 2017, 12:53:29 pm by mushRTID »
You'd assume both on very low wages so we will persevere and see if we end up with good players or not.

Reckon we will see more signings like this, get 5 or 6 of them in and hope 1 or 2 turn out good.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 09, 2017, 01:01:43 pm by Retdon1 »
I think I read that we're having a reserve side again next season so players like beeston, longbottom etc will get more of a chance to impress rather than just playing the odd friendly during the season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 09, 2017, 01:05:02 pm by RoversAlias »
May has done well, why the hell would we get rid of a player signed only 5 months ago who has been a regular in the team?

Fergie sees them every day, knows their abilities and character. It is plain to see what he thinks of the likes of May, Beestin and Longbottom when compared to similar aged/developed players put on the scrap pile, like Lund, Middleton and Pugh.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 09, 2017, 01:08:03 pm by not on facebook »
Wish they stop fcuking about with having a reserve team in whatever league .

One season they have one or for the next season then they don't have a 2nd team ,then rovers gain a promotion and there is talk of the second team been formed again .

Have a second team in whatever league and stick to it ffs.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 09, 2017, 01:29:23 pm by graingrover »
They dropped the Reserves to put all available financial resources into the playing budget last year ( and cut salaries by 30%) .

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 09, 2017, 01:30:36 pm by IDM »
I always think we should have a reserve team in a proper league.  Get the squad players and younger lads playing regular competitive football.  Its a no brainer for me.

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 09, 2017, 01:34:18 pm by Belle_Vue »
I agree with the pro reserve team. But the fringe players havw still played abit this year. Fergie has arranged a number of behind door friendlies. This of course give you freedom when you want to play.
Also a lot of younger players can be loaned out but still train with Rovers.

That said, I prefer a ressy team

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 09, 2017, 04:22:11 pm by phil old leake »
Earlier in the season Ferguson said Lund had been his best player until he was injured.   I wonder what's changed his mind

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 09, 2017, 05:01:42 pm by esdailles left foot »
Fergie's says big plans for reserve league next season. About time.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 09, 2017, 06:24:39 pm by PDX_Rover »
Yeah we've got to have a reserve team in a league. Need to be playing competitively regularly to gauge development. Friendlies, while nice, are not THAT competitive.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 09, 2017, 06:48:53 pm by steve@dcfd »
Therefore if we have a reserve side then the squad will have to be bigger.

But players like Fielding, Garrett, Longbottom, Beestin plus players not in the first eleven can be given games.

We still may have some of the transfer listed players if they do not move on. Middleton and Lund contracted till 2019?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 09, 2017, 07:00:41 pm by The Red Baron »
I've seen a lot from May that I like. I think he'll be much better for a proper pre season.

Beestin seems to have slipped down the pecking order of late. I suspect he will be loaned out next season.

Lund and Middleton will also be loaned out if they don't make permanent moves. Lund was the one that surprised me.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 09, 2017, 07:13:59 pm by steve@dcfd »
Beestin is only 19 he's not been at a league club for twelve months he has to be given time to develop if he can. Next season will show if improvement is there or not.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 09, 2017, 07:38:32 pm by Upton Rover »
I think a reserve team will be a distraction next season  L1 is all ready shaping up to be one of the toughest for some time most were championship clubs only a few seasons ago

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 09, 2017, 08:35:33 pm by Rovers91 »
I like May and think he will be better after a proper pre season, harsh judging Beestin he's only a young lad that hasn't had a chance yet.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 09, 2017, 08:57:17 pm by 1879Rovers »
I am going to have a bet on Alfie May to be the leading goalscorer in League One next season. A good pre-season and the experience of this season will do him good. A big jump from non-league to the league and if he converted the chances he had, he would have got double figures this season for Donny. I really think he will come good.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 10, 2017, 01:52:35 am by RoversAlias »
I think a reserve team will be a distraction next season  L1 is all ready shaping up to be one of the toughest for some time most were championship clubs only a few seasons ago

I don't think it will be a distraction, it will be good for fringe squad players to get game time and show if they have the nous to force their way into first team reckoning. Also, I disagree that L1 looks all that tough next season. None of the three relegated Championship sides look that great and there aren't really many teams used to playing at a higher level if you look at it. There's Charlton, who have serious off-field issues, MK Dons who had one year in the Championship, potentially Millwall who are small fry for the tier above and then Portsmouth who we did the double over this season. Hardly a roll call of impressive, big sides that.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 10, 2017, 02:01:17 am by Sammy Chung was King »
May is a great little player and a quick learner going by how well he has done in some games. Beestin his improvement has slowed due to not playing he needs a good level to be loaned out to.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 11, 2017, 12:24:19 am by BobG »
I suspect May will need another season yet before we start to see what we hope he becomes. 5 months plaus a pre season isn't very long at all. 18 months plus 2 pre seasons is a much more reasonable timescale.

Cheers

BobG

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 12, 2017, 11:23:12 am by Mustapha-Dump »
I would have a reserve team and put copps in charge of it, see if coaching is for him

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 12, 2017, 11:55:08 am by drfchound »
I suspect May will need another season yet before we start to see what we hope he becomes. 5 months plaus a pre season isn't very long at all. 18 months plus 2 pre seasons is a much more reasonable timescale.

Cheers

BobG

Agreed, May is very talented skill wise but needs to "become" a pro footballer.

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 12, 2017, 12:10:06 pm by Belle_Vue »
Once May starts taking his chances he will back many

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 12, 2017, 03:38:20 pm by Rovers91 »
May is a great little player and a quick learner going by how well he has done in some games. Beestin his improvement has slowed due to not playing he needs a good level to be loaned out to.

We don't know if Beestin development has slowed we haven't seen him play enough to judge that. He's only 19, they probably didn't expect him to have an impact on the first team last season at such a young age and coming from Tadcaster.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 12, 2017, 04:31:10 pm by Alan Southstand »
Also, I disagree that L1 looks all that tough next season. None of the three relegated Championship sides look that great and there aren't really many teams used to playing at a higher level if you look at it. There's Charlton, who have serious off-field issues, MK Dons who had one year in the Championship, potentially Millwall who are small fry for the tier above and then Portsmouth who we did the double over this season. Hardly a roll call of impressive, big sides that.

Slight under-estimation of other teams in this league. There's Bradford or Millwall for starters, Scunny and Fleetwood who will all be strong, along with all the teams coming down from the Championship. Even Rotherham will re-strengthen and get rid of dead wood. After that you have the nearly not quite teams, like Oxford. I think we're going to have our work cut out just getting into the top half, never mind thinking about the play-offs. Of course, my opinions are based on our present squad, which is nowhere near good enough for a prolonged assault on L1. I can see us in the bottom half, but IF we strengthen in all the right areas, then who knows.

As for young Beestin & May, a reserve side can only be good news for their progression. It just may well have been the very thing that could have saved Lund and Middleton from going on the list.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 12, 2017, 04:41:50 pm by drfchound »
Don't forget though that it is not long ago that we also were a Championship team some other clubs will be viewing us as a potential "big team" next season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012