Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:07:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Checkatrade Trophy  (Read 5614 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Checkatrade Trophy
« on May 11, 2017, 05:53:40 pm by The Red Baron »
I have heard that the 2016-17 format is being retained for next season, although possibly with a few tweaks. We will be having Under 21/ Under 23/ B Teams though.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Checkatrade Trophy
« Reply #1 on May 11, 2017, 06:03:53 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I can't see much interest in the prospect of competing against league two rubbish and the like.  :whistle:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 11, 2017, 06:18:03 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Wonder how we'll have voted.

timdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 11, 2017, 06:44:04 pm by timdrfc »
Will give it a miss then...

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 11, 2017, 07:30:58 pm by not on facebook »
It will become a competion to see which club can come up with the most original way to flaunt the stupid competion laws laid down on team selection etc etc.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 12, 2017, 09:54:14 am by Mike_F »
I won't mind so much if they bring in a rule stipulating a minimum number of youngsters to play from all clubs. It certainly benefitted some of our young lads this season.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 12, 2017, 10:22:54 am by bobbymax »
The rules are ridiculous - if the Premier League and Championship teams are encouraged to play the youngsters, lower league teams should not be penalised for doing the same. They are all going to get the same benefits.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 12, 2017, 01:19:13 pm by GazLaz »
Rovers voted for the system to remain the same.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 12, 2017, 01:34:29 pm by DonnyOsmond »
As long as lower league clubs don't get fined for making changes I'm fine with it. If they're weak teams then they'll go out early and won't make anything from it.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 12, 2017, 01:47:11 pm by aidanstu »
Rovers voted for the system to remain the same.

Same format but with amendments to the competition rules.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 12, 2017, 03:53:15 pm by RoversAlias »
So, the same then. The article on our website didn't even mention the view of the fans, sad to see.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 12, 2017, 06:32:38 pm by DonnyOsmond »
So, the same then. The article on our website didn't even mention the view of the fans, sad to see.

Probably to stop the same reaction as Notts County, they released their fans views and then voted for it anyway.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 14, 2017, 10:31:07 pm by albie »
Thin end of the wedge, the Checkatrade. The powers that be want Prem "B" teams up the pecking order, asap.

The tragedy here is the cloth ears of the football hierarchy to their customers, the fans.
Against League3 is worth a glance;
Home - Against League 3

Maybe the real consumers of football are no longer the paying punters!
Just a thought!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 14, 2017, 10:57:11 pm by BobG »
I'll buy that Albie. Change isn't instant. It creeps. Get used to one little thing and the next little thing isn't so big or bad after all. It's how governments, of al persuaisoons, work these days. Why should the PL be any different? I like the reference in your link to the PL stockpiling young players and then, when they've too many to actually play, invading a competition they split away from in 1992 to get them a vehicle to play in.

BobG

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 15, 2017, 08:04:58 am by Donnywolf »
Dennis Skinner I think it was (love him or hate him) used to say just that.

He had a word he made up - sure it was Gimmler - wherby someone usually a Government say for example Telly Licence needs to go up by £50 a year.

However realistically they are looking for £7.50 a year and they know there will be a public outcry against the £50 and a big one at that. Duly it arrives - and initially they fight their corner but eventually and "reluctantly" the Government back down and offer £7.50 as a compromise.

The public are happy as (they think) they have won and democracy has triumphed - but behind closed doors the Govt are delighted too cos they got exactly what they wanted from the outset. Thats a Gimmler and it suits the Checkatrade Trophy AND the Rugby Premiership for those noticing their recent change to a tee

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 15, 2017, 12:25:14 pm by ravenrover »
I see that Pep Guardiola? Wants to have 2nd teams playing in the league. If that is the case have a league purely for 2nd teams played on the same day that the 1st team plays, he might not be so keen then methinks

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 15, 2017, 05:14:29 pm by albie »
One of the stated headline objectives of the revised Checkatrade is to
"Improve the revenue opportunities of EFL clubs".

How that sits alongside the fall in attendences from an average of 3221 (in 2015/16), to 1404 (in 16/17) is not explained by the EFL.

You have to think that the alleged benefits come from some other source of value.

For what its worth, I think that the Championship will be eventually be floated off as a seperate competition from L1 and L2. The revenue potential of media rights will be captured by the haves, and the have nots will be cut adrift.

After that, a short hop later a feeder for Prem "B" teams will be set up, so entry into the hierarchy is enabled for the big clubs "B" sides through to the higher levels. Rovers and their like will be by-passed.

It is all about marketing, and the brand identity and recognition of the package to consumers abroad. The traditions of the game, and fans opinions, are just a hazard to be negotiated on the way.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 15, 2017, 05:36:02 pm by DonnyOsmond »

How that sits alongside the fall in attendences from an average of 3221 (in 2015/16), to 1404 (in 16/17) is not explained by the EFL.

You have to think that the alleged benefits come from some other source of value.

For what its worth, I think that the Championship will be eventually be floated off as a seperate competition from L1 and L2. The revenue potential of media rights will be captured by the haves, and the have nots will be cut adrift.

After that, a short hop later a feeder for Prem "B" teams will be set up, so entry into the hierarchy is enabled for the big clubs "B" sides through to the higher levels. Rovers and their like will be by-passed.

It is all about marketing, and the brand identity and recognition of the package to consumers abroad. The traditions of the game, and fans opinions, are just a hazard to be negotiated on the way.

The additional revenue is the extra million from the Premier League. Which now means they get £20K for a win.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 15, 2017, 05:45:28 pm by silent majority »

Not a chance.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 15, 2017, 06:08:47 pm by selby »
Group stage winners will now get £15000 for a win.
           £7500 for a draw.
       And better prize money for the winners in the knock out stages.
     Teams may just look at the prize money and take it a little more seriously.I agree with all the misgivings though and feel that the invited teams should have no overage players allowed in their teams.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 15, 2017, 08:09:04 pm by drfchound »

Not a chance.

I hope we can revisit that comment in ten years time because albies view is much the same as mine on this.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 15, 2017, 10:59:30 pm by selby »
Hound,I hope I am here in 10yrs,even better if I am able to remember the subject matter.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 16, 2017, 09:09:39 am by silent majority »

Not a chance.

I hope we can revisit that comment in ten years time because albies view is much the same as mine on this.

More than happy to do so. It's not about having an opinion though it's having knowledge and the ability to shape the discussions. I have a meeting with Shaun Harvey on Friday, if you wish to table a question I'm more than happy to try and have it added to the agenda.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 16, 2017, 10:35:02 am by Herman Hessian »
I see that Pep Guardiola? Wants to have 2nd teams playing in the league. If that is the case have a league purely for 2nd teams played on the same day that the 1st team plays, he might not be so keen then methinks

not unreasonably from his perspective - Spain, Germany, the Netherlands all have b-teams featuring in the top two or three divisions of their national leagues, so it's what he is used to; all systems which underscore national teams that we'd be happy to have emulated either now or at any time over the last few decades

that said, france and italy both have deep league structures without b-team involvement above level four, and we'd take a replication of their success too...

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 16, 2017, 11:10:28 am by RoversAlias »

Not a chance.

More than happy to do so. It's not about having an opinion though it's having knowledge and the ability to shape the discussions. I have a meeting with Shaun Harvey on Friday, if you wish to table a question I'm more than happy to try and have it added to the agenda.

The question should be a simple one for Mr. Harvey: why have you put the importance of extra money from the big clubs over the viewpoint of the fans?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 16, 2017, 12:00:56 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Report from one chairman said they said if there was a no vote then the PL funding would be removed, so I can understand why they voted for it.

Question to Mr Harvey - Seeing as the EFL is so financially reliant on the Premier League. Do you ever fear they'll pull the funding completely if they're not given what they want at some point in future. Would this also potentially ruin the existence of some EFL clubs?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 16, 2017, 12:48:36 pm by silent majority »

Not a chance.

The question should be a simple one for Mr. Harvey: why have you put the importance of extra money from the big clubs over the viewpoint of the fans?

The Checkatrade trophy is already on the agenda, the question was more to do with albies opinion that the Championship would be floated off and Prem B teams would start to fill the lower leagues.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 16, 2017, 04:15:46 pm by RoversAlias »

Not a chance.

The Checkatrade trophy is already on the agenda, the question was more to do with albies opinion that the Championship would be floated off and Prem B teams would start to fill the lower leagues.

Ah okay, well raising that issue is certainly important because as much as they've said "this isn't the thin end of the wedge" umpteen times, it is hard to believe them due to this continued feature of U21 sides in the Checkatrade.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 16, 2017, 04:24:19 pm by Herman Hessian »

Not a chance.

Ah okay, well raising that issue is certainly important because as much as they've said "this isn't the thin end of the wedge" umpteen times, it is hard to believe them due to this continued feature of U21 sides in the Checkatrade.

what this thread really needs is a tutorial on how to quote just the parts of a previous message to which your latest post is responding, rather than the entire discussion....

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 16, 2017, 05:20:10 pm by albie »
SM,

The post was intended as speculation on what MAY happen down the line. 
As such, there are lots of variables that might change the outcome, so it is better to say that it is possible development in future years.

I was not saying that I think "B" teams will gain entry to L1/L2.  Too much disruption to the pyramid hierarchy.
It is more likely that a mechanism to by-pass the lower leagues will be preferred.
So, for example, play-offs between the winners of a "B" league and the eligible promotion contenders from L1/L2 might be considered.

All of which Shaun Harvey will deny, under the banner of "nothing like this is under consideration"...missing out the important"yet".

If you really want some questions to put to Shaun Harvey, you could do worse than take some of the points from here;
Harvey Headbanger – the EFL chief presses on even though his plans lie in ruins | The Ugly Game

Good luck with that!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012