Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:30:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Checkatrade Trophy  (Read 5615 times)

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
Re: Checkatrade Trophy
« Reply #30 on May 16, 2017, 05:30:24 pm by Herman Hessian »
I was not saying that I think "B" teams will gain entry to L1/L2.  Too much disruption to the pyramid hierarchy.

you dismiss that almost as if it would be some sort of valid consideration when set alongside an alternative of PL clubs standing to make a bit more cash - i think you overestimate the sense of common decency and concern for the wellbeing of the integrity of the game at L1/L2 level amongst its administrators by a factor of - ooooooh - a really, really big number....

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 16, 2017, 07:25:21 pm by silent majority »
albie,

I realise the post was speculation and opinion, and as I said before I doubt anything of that sort will occur. There are numerous reasons, not the least that any changes made would need FA approval and with the current construct that will not happen either. The National Game is immensely strong inside the FA Council and they don't want their game tinkering with either. They are the grey suits, and believe me, they can wield power when they want to.

SH can offer whatever opinion he chooses too but ultimately he has no control over that section of the game either, and I stated on this very forum that his Whole Game Solution would fail for that very reason, and it did. Its OK having the ideas, carrying them through when you involve other sections of the footballing world can prove impossible.

We're not short of questions for our next meeting, and surprisingly to some, they, the EFL, have been very constructive and supportive in certain areas. At a time like this though, with crisis clubs cropping up all over the place at the minute, I think the Checkatrade trophy might take a back seat, or at least drop down the pecking order somewhat.

It will be interesting for sure!

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 21, 2017, 05:54:50 pm by RedRover45 »
SM,
Sorry have only just read this thread. Is it relevant to ask Mr Harvey that seeing as the Premier League can cap most admission prices at £30, why can the EFL, and Championship in particular still set their pricing levels whatever they want. There are still several Championship teams who charge over this amount which seems ridiculous that they charge more than the Premiership ?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 22, 2017, 07:31:08 pm by silent majority »
SM,
Sorry have only just read this thread. Is it relevant to ask Mr Harvey that seeing as the Premier League can cap most admission prices at £30, why can the EFL, and Championship in particular still set their pricing levels whatever they want. There are still several Championship teams who charge over this amount which seems ridiculous that they charge more than the Premiership ?

Its a difficult subject. Of course after quite a few years of campaigning we in the FSF finally persuaded the PL to cap away ticket prices. We went for £20 but got £30 as a starting point. However due to another bargaining chip that we had Southampton capped ticket prices for away fans at £20 this season and on 2 weekends running Virgin Media refunded every away fan in the country by £10 enabling them to watch PL football for £20. That cost them in the region of £2.2m. But the PL can do it because ticket revenue plays a much smaller contribution to the overall income of PL clubs than is the case elsewhere. Not only that but the significance of the extra revenue from the Sky TV deal gave us the argument that they wouldn't be losing anything at all.

Unfortunately the story is not the same in the EFL. They dont have the TV revenues of the PL and ticket income is the major contributor for most clubs. The pricing in the PL is not a natural price, its subsidised. The price in the EFL is not. However that doesn't excuse some of the prices we see in the Championship, or even in LG1. We will be campaigning against specific clubs over the next season or two and we will be aiming at those clubs who are abusing the loyalty of their support. The Yorkshire division of the FSF feel very strongly about this and will be leading on this particular campaign.

Having said all that, SH will also state that they are not a governing body and that he can't impose anything on the 72 clubs in the EFl. which is partly true. The EFL are just a competition organiser and have very little in the way of governance control. Watch this space.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012