Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:52:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: FGR v Tranmere  (Read 5620 times)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
FGR v Tranmere
« on May 14, 2017, 03:52:27 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
After a dull Hudds v Owls, this is a cracking game, 3-1 to FGR coming up to half time.

FGR's proposed new all wood stadium would be one to visit - hopefully not in League 2.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/forest-green-rovers-reveal-plans-9788683

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Re: FGR v Tranmere
« Reply #1 on May 14, 2017, 05:06:02 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Brilliant news for FGR. Hope they do well next year.

20 years ago exactly we had just surrendered league status in miserable fashion, and they had just had successive promotions to reach the Conference. In the 7th match of the next season we lost 0-1 to them at Belle Vue - their first ever win in the Conference.

They were by far the current longest serving members of the Conference. That distinction falls now to Wrexham whi will enter their 10th season non league - can't believe it has been that long. 

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 14, 2017, 05:21:32 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Great result for FGR! Many congratulations!

For me, FGR are only about 40 minutes from Chippenham. Roll on next season!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 14, 2017, 05:54:38 pm by BobG »
I quite like their current ground Bristol. It's a definite improvement on their old one! Only 3 sided really at the moment but the main stand is nice and the ends are fine. Parking is only so so though.

BobG

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 14, 2017, 06:33:08 pm by wilts rover »
The current ground has one huge advantage over the proposed new one (Eco Park) - it is actually in Nailsworth. There is a lot of controversy among all their 3 fans as Eco Park is planned to be sited nearly 10 miles away - next to junction 13 of the M5. It's like Rovers moving to Thorne.

Thats fine whilst you have a rich benefactor supporting you but he wont be around forever. Max Griggs and Nene Park come to mind.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 14, 2017, 06:39:04 pm by not on facebook »
Shocking that this game was played at wembley as the FA pulls out all its stops to recoup its money it laid out for wembley rebuild.

Ground was 3/4 empty and never was going to need mire than one tier open.

Should have played game at a far more approite leagu ground.

Look how shite it would have looked at wembley it dag&rednridge v Doncaster rovers play off game was played there,bearing in mind stokes ground was not full.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 14, 2017, 06:42:26 pm by turnbull for england »
Got a bit of a soft spot for Fgr, first season we went the chairman was selling the half time draw tickets on the club house and they were advertising the game as come and see the stars of Donny Rovers

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 14, 2017, 06:51:15 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Although he'll own the whole Eco Park development, it's very much part of his vision of expansion for his business as a whole. He's also a lot younger than Max Griggs.

The owner has argued that the new location will attract more fans. The new location will be just as near to Stroud, which is the main population centre, and also Gloucester, and other people that like the club's ethos. The club is arguably being marketed more as a brand rather than as a location. It could work!

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 14, 2017, 07:22:10 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Shocking that this game was played at wembley as the FA pulls out all its stops to recoup its money it laid out for wembley rebuild.

Ground was 3/4 empty and never was going to need mire than one tier open.

Should have played game at a far more approite leagu ground.

Look how shite it would have looked at wembley it dag&rednridge v Doncaster rovers play off game was played there,bearing in mind stokes ground was not full.

cleethorpes (not grimsby)v south shields at wembley next saturday in the fa vase

before york v macclesfield

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 14, 2017, 07:46:56 pm by not on facebook »
Christ images that Doncaster v farnborough game been played at wembley even thou it was a second leg .

It would have been a shite celebration afterwards for sure for the sake of the FA grabbing a few pence.

The FA at times really fcuk me off ( Patricia f smith) .

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 14, 2017, 08:08:20 pm by RoversAlias »
We weren't playing in the FA Vase though. That final is a great career moment for a bunch of guys who by-and-large never get close to playing pro football. They don't hold it at Wembley to get their money back on that game for obvious reasons.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 14, 2017, 08:13:43 pm by not on facebook »
Still don't take away that the FA are a bunch of w**kers ,but you do have valid points.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 14, 2017, 08:24:11 pm by rich1471 »
south shields are massive favourites they have Julian arca ex Sunderland man in midfield still only 35 I think

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 14, 2017, 08:55:56 pm by wilts rover »
Although he'll own the whole Eco Park development, it's very much part of his vision of expansion for his business as a whole. He's also a lot younger than Max Griggs.

The owner has argued that the new location will attract more fans. The new location will be just as near to Stroud, which is the main population centre, and also Gloucester, and other people that like the club's ethos. The club is arguably being marketed more as a brand rather than as a location. It could work!

Thats exactly the same argument used to move Wimbledon to Milton Keynes. They are not from Stroud they are from Nailsworth, there is a team in Stroud - Stroud FC. And there will be on in Gloucester when Gloucester City move back. FGR may be being marketed as a brand rather than a place - that is exactly the reason to oppose it.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 14, 2017, 08:59:33 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Actually Wilts, FGR did change their name to Stroud FC from 1989 to 1992 before changing back.

Although that sort of proves your point, it does also mean that there is some previous FGR attachment to Stroud, unlike Wimbledon and MK.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 14, 2017, 09:01:19 pm by idler »
Brilliant news for FGR. Hope they do well next year.

20 years ago exactly we had just surrendered league status in miserable fashion, and they had just had successive promotions to reach the Conference. In the 7th match of the next season we lost 0-1 to them at Belle Vue - their first ever win in the Conference.

They were by far the current longest serving members of the Conference. That distinction falls now to Wrexham whi will enter their 10th season non league - can't believe it has been that long. 
I was in Belle Vue fairly early before that Forest Green match. There was an old guy and a lad in his late twenties walking around,both wearing FGR club Blazers. You could read their thoughts as they looked around an ex-league club ground pinching themselves.We outplayed them but couldn't score. I was disappointed at the end but did feel happy for those two guys.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 14, 2017, 09:23:11 pm by Scooter »
Didn't we dominate that game and they caught us on the break and scored with their only shot?

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 14, 2017, 10:11:06 pm by les@donr »
Local derby with Cheltenham next season.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 14, 2017, 10:17:37 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Thats exactly the same argument used to move Wimbledon to Milton Keynes. They are not from Stroud they are from Nailsworth, there is a team in Stroud - Stroud FC. And there will be on in Gloucester when Gloucester City move back. FGR may be being marketed as a brand rather than a place - that is exactly the reason to oppose it.

remember that story ...  they got out of their depth
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-37292155

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 14, 2017, 10:26:37 pm by albie »
Agree with Wilts about the Rushden Diamonds comparison.

FGR are a rich mans toy, without the support base to justify full time football IMO. The population in their home area is just not sufficient for long term prosperity without heavy financial support.

That said, they can probably match other promoted outfits like Dagenham, Morecambe or Accy Stanley, so good luck to them.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 14, 2017, 10:56:38 pm by les@donr »
D&R will have a local derby with LO next season.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 14, 2017, 11:00:16 pm by BobG »
The village isn't big enough Albie, but Gloucester is close by, Cheltenham is close by, Stroud is close by, the villages of the south Cotswolds are all close by and even Swindon isn't very far away. FGR won't get big crowds once the novelty has worn off, but if they get a decent team together thay have plenty of catchment to pull people from.

BobG

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 14, 2017, 11:39:57 pm by RoversAlias »
Still don't take away that the FA are a bunch of w**kers ,but you do have valid points.

Can't say fairer than that Oslo!  :)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 15, 2017, 08:05:14 am by IDM »
Shocking that this game was played at wembley

Completely disagree.

Why shouldn't a "final" with a big prize as a result be played there?  Some of those players may never get another chance.  Much rather these games than FA Cup semi finals!!

ballysbackin

« Reply #24 on May 15, 2017, 08:29:15 am by ballysbackin »
At least they may not be instructed to change their club name as Stevenage were told to drop "Borough" on gaining promotion. Why should it matter when others i.e. MK Dons can mix and match. Accrington were not made to drop the Stanley, even though they had previously been in the league as that club. I am as pleased as punch for them.

Their fans were always a good bunch, pleasant to talk to and no problems, I hope the more established clubs keep hold of their morons when going down there or it could be another part of England destroyed by idiots

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 15, 2017, 08:40:29 am by idler »
Didn't we dominate that game and they caught us on the break and scored with their only shot?
Bid Nev also saved a one on one in their only other attack.
I think that our midfield that day had Snod and Sheridan with Nichol at the back.
I remember thinking pre-match of the experience in our team. Oh well.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 15, 2017, 10:30:05 am by RedJ »
At least they may not be instructed to change their club name as Stevenage were told to drop "Borough" on gaining promotion.

Used to have a friend who supports Stevenage and he seemed to think it was the chairman who made the decision as he thought it'd be better for the club brand or something.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 15, 2017, 10:55:19 am by not on facebook »
Shocking that this game was played at wembley

Completely disagree.

Why shouldn't a "final" with a big prize as a result be played there?  Some of those players may never get another chance.  Much rather these games than FA Cup semi finals!!

The stadium was 3/4 empty for the game yesterday ,that's why the game should not be played there.

It don't deserve to be played at wembley with a crowd that low ,I bet the atmosphere was lacking heaps > as they say in Australia .

As for players at whatever ever  low level having the chance to play at wembley ,I type of see your point but I think players today are pampered far too much as they seem to have far more controll than club owners and managers these days.

Like I said the FA play the game there to help play for the re build ,that is there ONLY concern as if only one man and his dog spot turned up they play at wembley.

ballysbackin

« Reply #28 on May 15, 2017, 10:55:27 am by ballysbackin »
I remember a story at the time that no club could be called Borough as it was not in professional standards. I am not saying you are wrong Red but they were not happy having to drop The "Boro"

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 15, 2017, 11:19:14 am by not on facebook »
What about nuneaton borough ? Do they still go by that name .

Had two very good days out at both of the nuneaton borough v Doncaster rovers games back in the conference.

You will like this one bally1950 > after one of the games we was all having a drink in a nuneaton pub town centre down a back street .about 30 of us.

I was last one to walk in and I followed two so called normall locals into the pub .a man and and women both in their late twenties I guess and if anything a little to overdressed for thiamine run down back street pub.

Their clothes were to sharp and clean and when they got to the bar they both ordered two orange juices.

It was team time just after the game and this middle class looking
couple lookedvwell out of place .

Duke box was on and it was only donny lads in the pub and the alarm Bells had started ringing within all the lads as soon as this couple walked in.

So after 10 mins they was asked out right if they was u ddr cover police spotters etc etc ,to which they said 'NO NO NO '

'So your boyfriend girlfriend then'

Lads left it at that and even two vodka comes was bought for them and placed in front of the, to see if they would drink them > as we all knew what this couple was.

All lads started to call the male 'reg Hollis ' but they still made out that they was only a couple .

' so give your lass a propper kiss then reg'

The look on these two faces was priceless ,then another donny lad came in through the pub door and said straight away ' watch them two at the bar as they are under cover rozzers ' as he had seen them getting out of a police van 5 mins from the pub.

Even the bar man was laughing ,the under cover police got up and left but not before shaking hands with all the lads in the pub.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012