Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:49:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: FGR v Tranmere  (Read 5566 times)

ballysbackin

Re: FGR v Tranmere
« Reply #30 on May 15, 2017, 11:34:56 am by ballysbackin »
Firstly - Yes Nuneaton did come in as Borough, so I may be wrong

On Two - Yep a dead give away ffs, not even trying to blend in...AND getting out a a Police Van. ah well it takes all kinds, no point in them staying really was there. ha ha ha  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 15, 2017, 11:39:45 am by Dutch Uncle »
I remember a story at the time that no club could be called Borough as it was not in professional standards. I am not saying you are wrong Red but they were not happy having to drop The "Boro"

I hadn't heard that Bally. It has a ring of truth because Nuneaton Borough are now called Nuneaton Town

From their Wiki:

Five years later, they changed their name to Nuneaton Town, and played until 1937 when the club was disbanded.However, two days later Nuneaton Borough F.C. were founded. In 2008 the club was liquidated, and due to a FA ruling were reformed as Nuneaton Town – suffering a two division demotion.

It is not clear from above whether the FA ruling in 2008 was the 2 Division demotion, having to drop 'Borough', or just having to have a different name from the original club, like say AFC Halifax.

ballysbackin

« Reply #32 on May 15, 2017, 11:49:26 am by ballysbackin »
My apologies, as my comment was wrong. I did research it and it was down to the then Chairman. for re-branding purposes as stated on a post further back. - Borough name change disappoints council leader

PUBLISHED: 11:37 21 May 2010 | UPDATED: 12:47 21 May 2010Liam Osborne
Stevenage Football Club crest
Stevenage Football Club crest
PHIL Wallace’s decision to ‘re-brand’ the club by changing the name from Stevenage Borough to Stevenage FC has saddened council leader Sharon Taylor.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 15, 2017, 12:08:08 pm by not on facebook »
Firstly - Yes Nuneaton did come in as Borough, so I may be wrong

On Two - Yep a dead give away ffs, not even trying to blend in...AND getting out a a Police Van. ah well it takes all kinds, no point in them staying really was there. ha ha ha  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Bally1950 when the police send in undercover officers into a situation like at that pub in nuneaton borough what on earth is going through their minds .

It's not the first or last time that undercover officers have been spotted trying to mingle within the donny lads at whatever game.i recall two donny undercover chaps in the salutation during a rovers v Huddersfield game that stuck out like two sore thumbs.

From my side of the fence you can spot them a mile off all the time ,which I have to ask are they going in with a ' we will let them know we are watching them attitude' or are they that stupid that they actually think they are blending in to the surroundings .

ballysbackin

« Reply #34 on May 15, 2017, 01:39:20 pm by ballysbackin »
Probably the latter BUT as you point out that it was not the last time it was done. BUT (again) You lads did put yourselves under the spotlight, But hey that was years ago, Just enjoy today

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 15, 2017, 03:10:51 pm by ravenrover »
Back in the day when plainclothes were spotted in  the silver link  mysterious  little packages wrapped in silver foil began to be openly passed around, just a piece of wrigleys but it always brought a smile

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 15, 2017, 05:01:02 pm by wilts rover »
Actually Wilts, FGR did change their name to Stroud FC from 1989 to 1992 before changing back.

Although that sort of proves your point, it does also mean that there is some previous FGR attachment to Stroud, unlike Wimbledon and MK.

Not quite Dutch. Is renaming your club with the name of a town five miles away (they never played in Stroud) really a connection with that town? This taken from their history:

Rovers struggled throughout the 80s near the foot of the table. In a bid to turn the Club’s fortunes around Rovers were renamed Stroud FC but this proved near disastrous with many life long fans and committee members turning their back on “Stroud FC”.

https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/about-forest-green-rovers/our-history

Curiously enough the current Stroud FC have a much stronger connection with the 'other' team in Nailsworth, Shortwood FC, than they do with Forest Green.
http://www.stroudfc.co.uk/index.html

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 15, 2017, 05:17:52 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Actually Wilts, FGR did change their name to Stroud FC from 1989 to 1992 before changing back.

Although that sort of proves your point, it does also mean that there is some previous FGR attachment to Stroud, unlike Wimbledon and MK.

Not quite Dutch. Is renaming your club with the name of a town five miles away (they never played in Stroud) really a connection with that town? This taken from their history:

Rovers struggled throughout the 80s near the foot of the table. In a bid to turn the Club’s fortunes around Rovers were renamed Stroud FC but this proved near disastrous with many life long fans and committee members turning their back on “Stroud FC”.

Curiously enough the current Stroud FC have a much stronger connection with the 'other' team in Nailsworth, Shortwood FC, than they do with Forest Green.

I see that they haven't up-dated their history yet!  😀

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 15, 2017, 05:26:49 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Thanks Wilts. I hadn't really realised the animosity it caused at the time. That new proposed stadium doesn't sound too good then does it.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 15, 2017, 08:45:51 pm by wilts rover »
It certainly looks good though Dutch and just like BRR I would love to see it built and visit it - but in Nailsworth - preferably the hamlet of Forest Green where they have been since 1889.

They have come a long way and the new development is an ambitious venture but this is what you need to know about the chairman and his plans for the club - they are a tool for him to promote his ideas (brands) rather than a community asset he wishes to promote and protect:

When first approached by the club, Vince was not even a particularly keen football fan, but he saw in sport and in Forest Green the chance to promote a particular agenda. “I thought it was an opportunity to take our message to a new audience,” he says. “The world of football doesn’t really get spoken to on environmental issues. I thought we could use it as a new channel, and quite an unexpected one, to talk about sustainability.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/13/forest-green-dale-vince-national-league-tranmere-wembley

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 15, 2017, 09:33:44 pm by NickDRFC »
Pfft, sustainability has been talked about by our board, not to mention this one, for years!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 16, 2017, 12:48:53 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Eco Park fails by encouraging more people to drive there. There's a lot of positive in all this, though negative too. Whilst this isn't in the same league as the MK Dons fiasco, it's of the same ilk. I wonder what the FGR fans think? Maybe that's all glossed over with the success? I notice the FGR fan forum is part of their official website and they require your land address and phone number to join up!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012