Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:20:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ball placement at corners.  (Read 2221 times)

bellevuebulgar

• Forum Member
Ball placement at corners.
« on May 14, 2017, 05:34:35 pm by bellevuebulgar »
At the risk of being accused of pedanty or over-zealous rule interpretation, may I ask for guidance/opinion about the increasing penchant for placing the ball outside the corner quadrant when taking a corner?
Just how far towards the penalty area are officials going to allow the ball to be placed? I' m probably wrong but wasn't the first exponent of this Steven Gerrard?
I recall many years ago trying to take a corner, the corner flag was in my way so I hoiked it out ... Lino informed me I couldn't do that! Why?? Maybe it they put the chuffing flags out the way the pros would take the corner from where it's supposed to be taken from!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Ball placement at corners.
« Reply #1 on May 14, 2017, 05:40:16 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
The rule is that if the ball is in contact with the quadrant line as seen from above, this is "in". It's the same rule re going over the line for a goal, corner or throw in, though rarely does a ref/assistant ref apply it for going out of bounds for a throw in. Nor do any fans seem to understand this either. (My pet gripe there!)

bellevuebulgar

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 14, 2017, 05:45:35 pm by bellevuebulgar »
Accepted, but there was what I might call an over-placement in the Palace -Hull game today. In the great scheme of things maybe no big deal. Probably just me.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 14, 2017, 05:47:33 pm by phil old leake »
It is something that really pisses me off.  Nearly as much as refs letting players fight in the box at corners. 
No one can tell me that the extra cm or so can c make any difference it's absolutely pathetic and utter nonsense

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 14, 2017, 07:28:46 pm by Herman Hessian »
It is something that really pisses me off.  Nearly as much as refs letting players fight in the box at corners. 
No one can tell me that the extra cm or so can c make any difference it's absolutely pathetic and utter nonsense

absolutely correct - this irritates the tits off of me - referees need to start issuing yellow cards for non-compliance !

linesmen always mooch about near corners too - maybe they could police it - disallow a few goals due to wrongly-taken corners and it'd soon stop...

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 14, 2017, 07:41:26 pm by not on facebook »
I can't quite workout what actuall advantage that whatever player is trying to gain by nicking a inch or two when taking the corner.

I mean it's not as if it's kids talking a corner on a full size pitch is it .
It's fully grown footballers who surely have the strength to reach whatever part of the penalty area from the corner flag.

How can nicking a inch or two at the most make your corner dlivery more accurate or better.

It's seems to have been creeping into the game in last few seasons ,we all see it via the tv replays etc etc and yet the powers that be have done fcuk all about it > what are they paid to do ffs

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 14, 2017, 09:29:22 pm by Scooter »
I've seen this for a long time sat in the south stand. No end of times players place it clearly outside the quadrant (if that's what it's called) right in front of the Lino and nothing is done. It is petty but surely basic rules should be enforced

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 14, 2017, 09:33:48 pm by not on facebook »
Let's be honest here ,if any level of standard footballer feals the need to pinch a inch or so while taking a corner should not be on the pitch .

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 15, 2017, 12:21:13 pm by ravenrover »
I've seen this for a long time sat in the south stand. No end of times players place it clearly outside the quadrant (if that's what it's called) right in front of the Lino and nothing is done. It is petty but surely basic rules should be enforced

But thats beccause part of the ball is still over the line, it is actually placed outside the quadrant but overhangs the line. I would guess that nany "over the line" goals that have been given by the lino would not have been given by the goal line technology now in use ie all the ball has not crossed the line. It's easy for the lino at the corner he just has to look straight down at the ball if part of it is covering the paint then relax and carry on. Just a pity for me that they can't get the same law correct about throw ins, and don't get me started on whether the taker makes a foul throw, we might as well let throw ins be taken one handed underarm , hardly any are taken correctly these days

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 15, 2017, 06:00:58 pm by Donnywolf »
Its all a bit hard to figure these days - illogical as Spock would say

Creeping forwards for Free Kicks is stupid as most players can hoof that Balloon 80 meters forwards anyway. Even when I was still playing (badly) I could launch a goal kick well into the oppos half and the Ball is now much much lighter - so why do they need to creep a bit further. So they can kick it "softer" and therefore with more accuracy ?

Throw ins - as said hardly a Player takes a correct Throw these days. As said we may as well have an underarm roll or dare I say as "kick in". That would stop the creeping forwards at Throw ins !

Not putting ball in the quadrant - I can only surmise this is being used as a time wasting tactic / distraction. Idea is put it down and out of the quadrant and Lino (sometimes) makes them put it back wasting valuable seconds. The odd thing is the Lino at the South Stand often lets lots go - and sometimes a "stickler" always makes them place it "correctly"

...but who takes care of the South East Corner because he cant see and the Ref is usually watching the all in Wresting Match going off in the Box. I often see the Players put the ball way out of the zone at The North West Corner cos again no one can see / be arsed to go and look - and those 2 " or so are that crucial - I dont think !

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 15, 2017, 08:06:31 pm by Scooter »

But thats beccause part of the ball is still over the line, it is actually placed outside the quadrant but overhangs the line. I would guess that nany "over the line" goals that have been given by the lino would not have been given by the goal line technology now in use ie all the ball has not crossed the line. It's easy for the lino at the corner he just has to look straight down at the ball if part of it is covering the paint then relax and carry on. Just a pity for me that they can't get the same law correct about throw ins, and don't get me started on whether the taker makes a foul throw, we might as well let throw ins be taken one handed underarm , hardly any are taken correctly these days

I take your point Raven but I am on about the times when the ball is very clearly outside the quadrant and at no point is it on the line. I've seen it happen as have all of us. It's just seems daft

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 15, 2017, 10:06:53 pm by GazLaz »
They nick every inch on corners because they think they might kick the corner flag.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012