Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:20:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brian Stock "Who was the..."  (Read 6373 times)

balbyrover

• Forum Member
Re: Brian Stock "Who was the..."
« Reply #30 on May 23, 2017, 05:45:45 pm by balbyrover »
Mark Wilson was not in the same league as Stock or Wellens to be honest. Them two,on their day were unplayable.

Wilson was a grafter and did the basics very well though and was a good player all round,players like him tend to go unnoticed at a lot of clubs to be honest .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 23, 2017, 08:11:30 pm by Drover »
I have to admit,whenever I heard Wilson's name announced on the starting line-up,I used to groan,especially if it was due to the abscence of Stocky or Wellens,BUT,I also have to admit,it seemed,we more often than not,we would win those games!Or atleast get a better result than I expected.

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 23, 2017, 08:27:38 pm by Belle_Vue »
Looking at his wiki stats we was the only club Willo ever made more than a few appearances for.
Also I cannot remember him joining us on loan whilst we were still at Belle Vue?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 23, 2017, 09:40:10 pm by RedJ »
I cannot understand why three different managers signed him (or is it four), or why we signed him for no apparent reason in his last spell then never played him.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 24, 2017, 08:48:06 am by Chris Black come back »
Think Wilson was in the category of "local, reliable, pliable, good to have around squad".

Sprinkling of stardust having been raised at Man Utd around time of Class of '92 lot and got sold for over million quid once. Imagine those stories go down well in dressing room.

Definitely the modern day Lee Warren for me.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 24, 2017, 09:46:52 pm by BobG »
I would always want to watch stocky and wellens, but Mark Wilson rarely let you down. A player you could rely on as well as being a steady chap with a conscience and some initiative. Can't ask for much more tbh for me.

BobG

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 26, 2017, 09:09:10 am by Mike_F »
Looking at his wiki stats we was the only club Willo ever made more than a few appearances for.
Also I cannot remember him joining us on loan whilst we were still at Belle Vue?

He joined us briefly when we were in the Conference and looked very poor at the time. IIRC he later said he thought his career was over and having been at Man Utd then sold to Boro for a million his mental state wasn't great when he turned out in non-league.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 26, 2017, 11:12:29 am by RoversAlias »
It was after we were out of the Conference but the rest of what you've said seems accurate. He played a few games on loan to us in 2004 in amongst several brief loan spells, then he went over to America and played in the MLS for a bit before signing for us permanently. I believe he is back in the States now coaching.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 26, 2017, 11:41:21 am by Mike_F »
Ah sorry, he must've said that about Division Three as it was called at the time.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 26, 2017, 01:30:47 pm by Branton Rover »
Remember arguing when we beat Crystal Palace think 3-1 away & this bloke was saying afterwards "what did he play Wilson for". I responded saying "we've beaten Crystal Palace away from home & you're moaning about Mark Wilson" what a numpty

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 26, 2017, 03:56:52 pm by NickDRFC »
John Ryan always hated Mark Wilson. Very vocally at games as well. I couldn't understand it as surely he must have signed off his contract.

As others have  alluded to, he was always a steady player but looked unfavourably upon by our fans because he didn't have the talent of Wellens, Stock, Green or latterly Oster

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 26, 2017, 04:13:11 pm by German Rover »
Well JR knew bugger all about football anyway. That's what he employed people to do and he had the trust in them to do it. Sod was one of our most successful managers and he played him regularly. That'll do for me.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 26, 2017, 04:29:00 pm by RedJ »
Well JR knew bugger all about football anyway. That's what he employed people to do and he had the trust in them to do it. Sod was one of our most successful managers and he played him regularly. That'll do for me.

This same man also repeatedly randomly threw on a defender to go with five at the back time after time despite knowing full well it had cost us on numerous occasions.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 26, 2017, 08:42:31 pm by German Rover »

This same man also repeatedly randomly threw on a defender to go with five at the back time after time despite knowing full well it had cost us on numerous occasions.

And took us to our highest league finish since the 50s. But who's counting?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 26, 2017, 09:32:17 pm by RedJ »

And took us to our highest league finish since the 50s. But who's counting?

With the most expensive squad in our history, but yeah.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 26, 2017, 10:25:47 pm by idler »
So RedJ we give you the biggest budget we've ever had and you will do better?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 26, 2017, 11:07:29 pm by RedJ »
I think the fact that he'd been in football his whole life would probably give him a bit of an edge over someone whose experience ends at the local park. Doesn't exactly prove what I've said wrong though, does it?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012