Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:41:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gazza  (Read 4090 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Gazza
« on May 18, 2017, 09:55:53 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
This evening I was telling the kids all about Paul Gascoigne and showing them some clips of him on you tube. I then shared with them the story about the time he played for Rovers in Paul Malcolm's testimonial match about a month before Italia 90. How he took a penalty against Mark Samways, told Sammie where he'd place it and still scored. How he ran down the touchline in front of the pop side doing kick ups while brushing off the Barnsley players as if they weren't there. How (for a few minutes anyway) he played in midfield with Billy Bremmner (that's got to be our greatest ever midfield pairing). And my favourite... when he scored and ran to the pop side and kissed the Rovers badge and the pop side began to sing 'sign for Donny Gazza!!

Strange to think that just a few weeks later he was in Italy and, probably, the best player in the world!

Does anyone else remember this?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Gazza
« Reply #1 on May 18, 2017, 09:58:10 pm by drfchound »
I wasn't at the friendly Herbert but I certainly remember how good he was for England that summer.
Gazza was a sublime talent.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:07:52 pm by drfchound »

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 18, 2017, 10:05:32 pm by Lesonthewest »
I was there, what a talent. Loved the trick where he threw the ball down at his feet & still controlled it, didn't he red card the ref aswell?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 18, 2017, 10:08:40 pm by not on facebook »
What about when the ball was lumped sky high forwards from rovers back line towrads rovers midfield/attack zone .

Gasgoine just shouted everyone to stop as he followed the ball down on its first bounce ,and killed the ball with his arse as he basically sat on it .

He gave a quick smile and then just played on .

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 18, 2017, 10:16:33 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I'd forgotten about those Les & NOF!!

He really was a totally different class from any footballer I've seen. Just incredible!

I also recall how he spent ages signing autographs and having photo's with fans after the match as well. Top fella.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 18, 2017, 10:19:47 pm by Donny Exile in York »
The trapping the ball from the sky with his arse near the centre circle was sublime.. And think it was from a goal kick.. but just to see him play at Belle vue weeks before infamy playing for England in a world cup.semi final is unbelievable.. could you imagine an England player being to play in a testimonial within a month of jetting off to a world cup.. no chance.. wrapped in cotton wool more like

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 18, 2017, 10:27:36 pm by johnny rovers »
Remember going to that game as a nipper, Gazza's ability was a cut above everyone else on the park, True Legend

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 18, 2017, 10:27:48 pm by not on facebook »
I allways thought the trapping of the ball with his backside was from a rovers goal kick,but there  is some on here who say different.

My memory is not so good so I leave it to the kangeroo hanging court on here to sit

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 18, 2017, 10:32:41 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
The trapping the ball from the sky with his arse near the centre circle was sublime.. And think it was from a goal kick.. but just to see him play at Belle vue weeks before infamy playing for England in a world cup.semi final is unbelievable.. could you imagine an England player being to play in a testimonial within a month of jetting off to a world cup.. no chance.. wrapped in cotton wool more like

You're right Donny - I've often wondered whether he actually had authorisation to play the whole game! From what I've read about him he'd have just played anyway such was his love of the game.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 18, 2017, 10:56:59 pm by Alan Southstand »
The ball trap was a pass from Billy Bremner, who was on the main stand side not far from where I was stood, across to Gazza on the pop side. I can remember that as if it was yesterday.
The goal where he ran through one on one with the keeper and basically rolled it up and over the keeper, ran round him and tapped it in was a corker as well.
I've never seen anything quite like that performance from Gazza that night either before or since. He was unstoppable. What a shame he ended up in the state he got himself into.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 18, 2017, 11:35:28 pm by PDX_Rover »
Great night that. I've got a photo of me sat with Gazza having a pint after the game in the golf club bar next to the ground. Bought him a pint of bitter and he bought me one back. Class.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 19, 2017, 07:28:45 am by ctay »
That was a really special night. Gazza was the star, on and off the pitch. Paul Malcolm was such a nice guy as well.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 19, 2017, 07:33:40 am by Nudga »
The ball trap was a pass from Billy Bremner, who was on the main stand side not far from where I was stood, across to Gazza on the pop side. I can remember that as if it was yesterday.
The goal where he ran through one on one with the keeper and basically rolled it up and over the keeper, ran round him and tapped it in was a corker as well.
I've never seen anything quite like that performance from Gazza that night either before or since. He was unstoppable. What a shame he ended up in the state he got himself into.

That is exactly what happened, after he trapped the ball with his arse he then went and beat 2 or 3 players before doing a rainbow flick over the goalkeeper to roll it into the net.

He also scored a Rabona style penalty too.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 19, 2017, 09:03:49 am by Jimmydee »
On his way to the ground His old sports car had broken down near the racecourse roundabout, he left it there and walked to the ground and laughed about it with us.

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 19, 2017, 10:03:17 am by DD »
Didn't he take a mars bar out of his pocket & start eating it as I recall???

bigbadjack

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 19, 2017, 10:13:53 am by bigbadjack »
Was this the game nev southall had a sit down protest

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 19, 2017, 10:41:42 am by nightporter »
A not great pic from the match.   

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 19, 2017, 12:52:37 pm by not on facebook »
Was this the game nev southall had a sit down protest

That sit down gob on by big nev was the Everton v leeds Leeds Leeds game.

''Twas dirty Leeds 1st game back in division one and they was playing at Everton and Leeds Leeds Leeds champions of Europe were winning 0 > 4 at half time.

At start of second 45mins nev got a gob on and sat down by his goal post .

Don't know if he did it for a second time

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 19, 2017, 02:05:24 pm by idler »
He sat down rather than go into the dressing room at half time.
Chelsea were no shrinking violets either though in those days.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 19, 2017, 02:37:39 pm by not on facebook »
That's it mr idler he sat there during the half time chin wag as he did not go down the tunnel.

vietaff

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 19, 2017, 04:17:21 pm by vietaff »
This evening I was telling the kids all about Paul Gascoigne and showing them some clips of him on you tube. I then shared with them the story about the time he played for Rovers in Paul Malcolm's testimonial match about a month before Italia 90. How he took a penalty against Mark Samways, told Sammie where he'd place it and still scored. How he ran down the touchline in front of the pop side doing kick ups while brushing off the Barnsley players as if they weren't there. How (for a few minutes anyway) he played in midfield with Billy Bremmner (that's got to be our greatest ever midfield pairing). And my favourite... when he scored and ran to the pop side and kissed the Rovers badge and the pop side began to sing 'sign for Donny Gazza!!

Strange to think that just a few weeks later he was in Italy and, probably, the best player in the world!

I went to this game, being 14 years of age and seeing Gazza was great, i got to meet him as i went with Willy Boyd and one of his son's.

At Half time he had a penalty competition vs Alick Jeffrey (who was brought out either in a wheelchair or stretcher to the amusement of the crowd) 2 footballing greats competing against one another - strange how they both never hit the potential they had.....one through choice and the other through no fault of his own.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 19, 2017, 04:20:16 pm by drfchound »
Back in 1991 i did the London Marathon.
We went down to the smoke on the Saturday and took in the Spurs v Man Utd game.
Gazza was outstanding and ran the game which Spurs won 2-0.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 19, 2017, 07:51:13 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

I went to this game, being 14 years of age and seeing Gazza was great, i got to meet him as i went with Willy Boyd and one of his son's.

At Half time he had a penalty competition vs Alick Jeffrey (who was brought out either in a wheelchair or stretcher to the amusement of the crowd) 2 footballing greats competing against one another - strange how they both never hit the potential they had.....one through choice and the other through no fault of his own.

The penalty competition seems to ring a bell now actually! Forgotten all about that!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 19, 2017, 07:51:56 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
A not great pic from the match.

That's a great photo mate - thanks for sharing it!

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 19, 2017, 08:03:08 pm by arkseyrover »
If you have a look on Youtube there are loads of really funny Gazza stories being told by those who played with him. Always thought he was a top bloke (who sadly lost his way perhaps through the dna that he inherited and which he couldn't control) but listening to the stories you can tell he was a gifted joker as well as a gifted footballer and that he was very much liked and admired by his peers.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 19, 2017, 08:34:02 pm by not on facebook »

The penalty competition seems to ring a bell now actually! Forgotten all about that!

Did gazza not stick a ball up his shirt while taking a pen as he stood next to Jefferies

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 19, 2017, 08:41:30 pm by rich1471 »
Watch the documentary on Netflix about him really good to watch , I don't think living with jimmy 5 bellys helped him but he was one hell of a footballer and a real talent , he had a unlucky childhood seeing 2 of his close friends die at such an early age

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 19, 2017, 11:41:56 pm by BobG »
Two good mates of mine died before I'd passed 21 too Rich. Does that explain the state I'm in?! Lol!

BobG

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 20, 2017, 08:27:48 pm by balbyrover »
Gazza is a legend, fallen of the bandwagon massively for one reason or another. It kills me to see the papers slating him the way they do.. theyve certainly not helped his downfall.
He is a legend for what he did on the pitch, but as a man.. hes ruined what he had and it pains me to say that i think he is at that stage where he is beyond saving

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 20, 2017, 09:18:13 pm by not on facebook »
It's  not just with gazza thou is it as tr papers are lacking a moral compass on many issues.

They think it will sell more copy's if they splatter whatever star has done what across the front page.

I think today's society had moved on from been shocked by whatever front page news will have you kicking you local news agents front door in to get a copy.

I mean it's got to the point that we're now all used to hearing how bad isis are as we don't bat a eye lid anymore when you see the latest headline on how terrible they have been.

Nobody is as shocked anymore about isis > which is bad news for the normall peace loving persons out there,as the next terrorist mob after isis will have to up the anti for us to take any notice.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012