Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:58:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Scunny to attract fans from Donny  (Read 5921 times)

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
Scunny to attract fans from Donny
« on May 19, 2017, 10:06:06 pm by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: Scunny to attract fans from Donny
« Reply #1 on May 19, 2017, 11:07:23 pm by not on facebook »
They had one interesting idea about having their own brewery tied in with the new ground as a money making outlet for the club.

Quite a good idea that before the real ale market gets flooded with like minded doing the same.

As for scunny taking fans from the Thorne area I can't see them even been able to fill up a mini bus on whatever home match day.

But they could well get their hooks into whatever villages or small settlements that are out that way on the way to the steelworks.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 19, 2017, 11:09:29 pm by Filo »
The new site is further away from the steelworks, it's also a longer walk from Althorpe station

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 19, 2017, 11:33:19 pm by Herman Hessian »
brewery you say - we need to get glentworth's on board !

white shite pale ale (insipid, tasteless and generally objectionable)

darren moore's strong dark brew (malty, uncompromising, chocolately)

paul green's ruby red porter (strong, tenacious summer beer with a real bite)

sutherland lager (like belgian trappist stuff - hugeyly strong - makes you piss on children in train carriages with shit haircuts)

rovers' revenge - some real bas**rd beer, about 8.5% abv

etc etc etc...

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 20, 2017, 01:54:52 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Scunny couldn't attract a seagull to the coast.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 20, 2017, 07:40:30 am by Donnywolf »
This brings back Bill Shankleys famous comment .... if Scunny were playing in my Garden I would close the curtains !

It is already the nearest Ground to my House (in Thorne) and is due to get nearer but I have thick Curtains ! Its never the twain shall meet for me !

ballysbackin

« Reply #6 on May 20, 2017, 08:15:50 am by ballysbackin »
It is one thing out here to admire a different club - But going to support a different club ????????? Well ask a Bunny to come and support Donny......

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 20, 2017, 08:21:10 am by Filo »
This brings back Bill Shankleys famous comment .... if Scunny were playing in my Garden I would close the curtains !

It is already the nearest Ground to my House (in Thorne) and is due to get nearer but I have thick Curtains ! Its never the twain shall meet for me !

It's probably not any nearer, by the time you've gone through Burringham you could have got to Glandford Park

ballysbackin

« Reply #8 on May 20, 2017, 08:29:29 am by ballysbackin »
Interestingly I read the reasons for the delay of the new ground and they do make perfect sense indeed, they also say that they will pick up some more fans from Burringham which is possible, my concern is as they say you can walk from Asda site and the Scotter Road area and Ashby High Street, but just off the route of the main road (50 yards) is Lindsey Lodge which is a Hospice for mainly terminally ill C patients, the extra traffic and possibly noise from walking fans is the last thing the patients need or their families. I have visited it and it is so calm, I hope it does not suffer. FRom Burringham it makes no difference but Ashby Way it certainly does.

I read the full article, I suppose it also save the problem of getting the M181 de categorized from a Motorway to an A class road, Unless they still going ahead with plan to put a roundabout on it, Simple enough to get that done though. 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 20, 2017, 09:06:13 am by drfchound »
"They might pick up a few more fans from Burringham".

Wow, Burringham, population 737 in 2011.

Not at go at you bally, just thinking that Scuny fans must be really desperate to include that in their thinking.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 20, 2017, 09:09:11 am by MrFrost »
Why do they need a new stadium? They couldn't even attract 4000 supporters when challenging for promotion to the Championship.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 20, 2017, 09:11:04 am by drfchound »
Maybe too many complaints about those blasted vertical girders ?

ballysbackin

« Reply #12 on May 20, 2017, 09:14:05 am by ballysbackin »
"They might pick up a few more fans from Burringham".

Wow, Burringham, population 737 in 2011.

Not at go at you bally, just thinking that Scuny fans must be really desperate to include that in their thinking.

The thing about Lindsey Lodge was just my opinion Hound. You and I know how close it will be to the development

ballysbackin

« Reply #13 on May 20, 2017, 09:19:15 am by ballysbackin »
Why do they need a new stadium? They couldn't even attract 4000 supporters when challenging for promotion to the Championship.

Mr Frost -  Glanford Park was first on that site, then the Pub and the rest followed and the ground became difficult to get to without pedestrians. Yes they do not get very large crowds and have not really since they left the Old Show Ground, but a bit of savvy springs to mind, they sold the Show Ground site to Sainsbury's and made a good bit of coin...This enabled Glanford to be built, now they have an asset in a prime position with a car park enclosed, just right for a major store or series of stores, get plenty of money for the new ground, the land of which I do believe has already been paid for. Suppose you could ask why build the KM, certainly not for bigger crowds nor was it to consider The Park Hotel (similar to THe Berkeley at Scunny) or the fans.  Swanny is a business man and a good one by all accounts he will have done his research.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 20, 2017, 09:35:18 am by not on facebook »
I recall going to one certian game at scunnys old ground the old show ground for sole reason rovers away strip that day was yellow shirts with chocolate brown cuffs ,chocolate brown shorts and yellow stockings .

Can't recall anything about the game ,it was at night time .

It was one hell of a rovers kit that day that ha stayed with me for a lifetime.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:59:20 am by not on facebook »

ballysbackin

« Reply #15 on May 20, 2017, 09:53:58 am by ballysbackin »
I was at the game too. Donny only played I believe at that ground once or twice and I would stick with one (Not checking any sites) and the score was 2-1 to Scunny I think, yes an unusual kit to say the least.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 20, 2017, 10:02:49 am by Ldr »
12 I think Bally

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 20, 2017, 10:04:29 am by not on facebook »
It was sometime in the mid or late 1970s.

When leaving the ground I recall seeing some rovers fans that were been detained in a holding pen which seemed to be under the stand with a shitty type of gate and lock and chain method of keeping them in.

It looked like a cave with a made up liked gate ,no lights at all.

Just think of the out cry if that was today ,should go back to that way of thinking I say .

ballysbackin

« Reply #18 on May 20, 2017, 10:18:38 am by ballysbackin »
12 I think Bally

Thank you, I was not sure which way it was.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 20, 2017, 01:43:45 pm by roversdude »
I remember seeing that kit Oslo and also a purple one I think

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 20, 2017, 02:38:33 pm by Donnywolf »

It's probably not any nearer, by the time you've gone through Burringham you could have got to Glandford Park

Aye - have they changed where it is going to go now ? The reason I said nearer to me is that I was convinced that it was going to be on Gunness Straight directly opposite the current rat heap ? So passing between Tesco and G Park round the roundabout and then first on left

The M181 was going to be downgraded to an A road to make it easier to get exits off it.

Now it seems it will be between Mway J3 and Hospice - but they could build it at The Black Bull on't A18 and I still would not go !

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 20, 2017, 03:10:18 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Sunny attracting Donny fans? They must be thinking along the same lines of 'shit attracts flies' to come up with that one.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 20, 2017, 03:23:35 pm by not on facebook »
The more you think about the more stupid it sounds  but what is eating away at me is that demographic ( if the right word ) of today's football fans has/is changing for the worse.

They expect win win win and nice nice nice  as football has/is attracting a different class of supporters.

There will never be a great shift of support from the borough of Doncaster towrads scunny and likewise in the other direction ,but the amount of floaters will increase for sure.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 20, 2017, 04:08:11 pm by Donnywolf »
I think a big difference here is that there are 2 Counties involved

To be fair there must be Scunny Fans in Thorne and I only know two - one a former Player and the other is more of a Scout than a Fan - and that's it !

As I have said before the current Scunny Ground is slightly nearer some of Thorne than the Keepmoat is but that has no bearing imo

Its the fact that they are in separate Counties with different administrations etc and nothing will change when they move Grounds either

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 20, 2017, 04:10:51 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
There's always been a percentage of attendees at a game who are there for the quality of football first and any allegiance to the brand (ie location/town) not so important. What is changing is the branding of clubs beyond the town/city location.

London clubs maybe have more of a brand thing going than other clubs. Millwall and Chelsea are good examples. Forest Green Rovers are an extreme example of the way things are changing.

We've been honing our "home town" location branding notably with the Club Doncaster branding. I think that's a successful way to go for us. I'll be interested to see how Scunny might forge their brand.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 20, 2017, 04:24:51 pm by not on facebook »

To be fair there must be Scunny Fans in Thorne and I only know two - one a former Player and the other is more of a Scout than a Fan - and that's it !

As I have said before the current Scunny Ground is slightly nearer some of Thorne than the Keepmoat is but that has no bearing imo

Its the fact that they are in separate Counties with different administrations etc and nothing will change when they move Grounds either

Allways took Thorne as a mixed settlement of donny rovers and donnywhites in the main with a dash of blades or owls .

Never had no stress as a donny lad drinking out in that neck of woods and I allways got the impression that if you was grimsby or scunny you be run out of the cannal tavern uncle arthers etc etc.

One of biggest rovers you could meet at BV or KMS lived out that way > CS > .

Seen many Thorne lads at rovers games throughout the years and I guess that one reason BV or now KMS has a major pull for Thorne chaps to be seen at rovers games is the night life round pubcaster as they all used to drink round town for sure.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 21, 2017, 06:31:54 am by Donnywolf »

I'll be interested to see how Scunny might forge their brand.

An'vil have to wait to see if it works !

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 21, 2017, 03:38:09 pm by RedJ »

Mr Frost -  Glanford Park was first on that site, then the Pub and the rest followed and the ground became difficult to get to without pedestrians. Yes they do not get very large crowds and have not really since they left the Old Show Ground, but a bit of savvy springs to mind, they sold the Show Ground site to Sainsbury's and made a good bit of coin...This enabled Glanford to be built, now they have an asset in a prime position with a car park enclosed, just right for a major store or series of stores, get plenty of money for the new ground, the land of which I do believe has already been paid for. Suppose you could ask why build the KM, certainly not for bigger crowds nor was it to consider The Park Hotel (similar to THe Berkeley at Scunny) or the fans.  Swanny is a business man and a good one by all accounts he will have done his research.
Aye but Belle Vue was knackered and about a million years old, compared to Glanford which was only built not even 30 years ago and not a particularly bad ground (I've been to worse).

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 21, 2017, 04:32:54 pm by Goole Rover »

Allways took Thorne as a mixed settlement of donny rovers and donnywhites in the main with a dash of blades or owls .

Never had no stress as a donny lad drinking out in that neck of woods and I allways got the impression that if you was grimsby or scunny you be run out of the cannal tavern uncle arthers etc etc.

Seen many Thorne lads at rovers games throughout the years and I guess that one reason BV or now KMS has a major pull for Thorne chaps to be seen at rovers games is the night life round pubcaster as they all used to drink round town for sure.
As a born and bred Thorney ( Now East Riding ) I recall that the vast majority of football fans followed or supported Rovers. The others fled the camp and became Leeds fans during the glory years, well to rephrase that their more successful years. I didn't know any Iron fans in Thorne so we shouldn't worry now.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 21, 2017, 05:15:44 pm by Filo »

As a born and bred Thorney ( Now East Riding ) I recall that the vast majority of football fans followed or supported Rovers. The others fled the camp and became Leeds fans during the glory years, well to rephrase that their more successful years. I didn't know any Iron fans in Thorne so we shouldn't worry now.

Thers a Scunny fan in Thorne, it used to be. Shop years ago on Kirton Lane, the road down side of it leads to back of golf course, i've seen a scunny flag flying from the flagpole outside that place

TinyPortal © 2005-2012