Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:06:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Longest round trip for the Rovers  (Read 4988 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: Longest round trip for the Rovers
« Reply #30 on May 21, 2017, 04:00:08 pm by not on facebook »
When I was in my very early 20s i was on holiday in torquay with miss Moorends some 30 years ago.

found out rovers were playing Sunderland in a pre season at BV ,so cutt holiday a day short and packed bags and jumped on first train out of torquay back to donny.

Train pulled into donny at 14:50 so I left miss moorends with all the luggage and jumped in a taxi to BV.

Things you do when you have fcuk all in between your ears.

Would not do that today for sure

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 21, 2017, 04:22:39 pm by RedJ »
Miss Moorends? Christ. :laugh: I didn't even know that was a thing.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 21, 2017, 05:10:41 pm by Herman Hessian »

our norwegian correspondent looking very dapper indeed !

:lol:

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 21, 2017, 06:39:10 pm by essexrover »
Can't remember the exact date, but must've been 1990/91 ish. Aldershot away. It was foggy as f**k & would be called off these days. From my position behind the goal you could just about see the 18 yard line.
Grant Morrow (remember him ? ), I think it was, scored a goal which was disallowed. Finished a grim 0-0. To make the day even more annoying a policeman wouldn't let us walk to the other end for the 2nd half, so saw next to nothing of that & some neanderthal squaddies made us feel very unwelcome in a boozer beforehand. Great day out that was. NOT !

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 21, 2017, 08:36:44 pm by Branton Rover »
Plymouth away on a Tuesday night lost the game 2-1 after scoring first - James Meara with the goal. Remember vividly hitting a swan on the way home on the motorway - arriving back in Donny around 4am & being back at my works desk at 8.30 completely knckered

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 22, 2017, 12:49:29 pm by IDM »
Had a holiday in Findhorn (Moray Firth) in August 2006, drove up there on the Saturday via Carlisle (for the season opener) and then back down the following Saturday for our first home fixture.. 

Even got a read out on R5 that day when they asked who was travelling far for football..

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 22, 2017, 03:42:54 pm by Herman Hessian »
Remember vividly hitting a swan on the way home on the motorway

was coming back from some game or other up country late at night on the A21 between sevenoaks and tonbridge and a horse had jumped a fence at the side of the road and been hit by a lorry - road surface was covered in god knows how much blood, and driving through it was like walking on an old sticky pub carpet !
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:47:09 pm by Herman Hessian »

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 22, 2017, 03:44:33 pm by Drover »
Exeter,yeovil and Bournemouth are my 3 longest,All Saturday games,Also done Carlisle,both bristols,hartlepool,all by car,50 odd grounds done now.My son went Weymouth FA cup when postponed,we was both booked on Weymouth replay coach until my son broke his foot playing footy.Off top of my head,I think Tranmere is the furthest night game I've done.Not that far,Got back for night shift after getting permission to start at 12 midnight instead of 10,Result.Shame Noteman spoilt it.Was the Northern freight rover trophy final thingy.I set off to Gillingham for a friday night game,got as far as Grantham on A1 and car brokedown,took back home by AA.That would have been my longest night game.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:58:50 pm by Drover »

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 22, 2017, 03:49:21 pm by DaveDRFC »
Daftest I have done was going to Bristol City away in between night shifts. Finished work at 7am, had a bit of a kip, set off about 10am, only just got to the ground in time for kick off due to terrible traffic on the M5, got stuffed 4-1 then straight back to work as soon as we got back about 9pm.

Also did the same for Middlesbrough away when we lost 2-0 and there was a bit of trouble outside the Riverside but managed to get a bit more sleep for that one!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 22, 2017, 07:00:32 pm by not on facebook »
That exter comment reminds me when quite a few of us went down on the train for a Saturday league fixture.

Rovers were 3 goals up at half time I seem to recall and we had to asked to be let out of the ground not long into second half so we could get last train back home.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 26, 2017, 10:00:04 am by Mike_F »
I did Plymouth away on a Tuesday night in the League Cup when Ebanks-Blake ran us ragged. Booked a hotel for the night and took the missus to Cornwall for a day out on the Wednesday. Pasties at Mevagissey, Cream tea at Polperro etc. so not strictly speaking a round trip.

Probably the daftest one I've done was for a home game at Belle Vue. I had booked two meetings for work; one on the Tuesday in Edinburgh and another on the Wednesday morning in Dundee so planned to get a hotel in Dundee, meeting done by 11 and a leisurely drive home. I'd consulted my fixture list and all was fine; no Tuesday night game. Only went and bloody forgot about the JPT though.

I drove back from Edinburgh (500 mile round trip) and got to Belle Vue just in time for kick-off. It was the night we played Accrington and Sean McDaid got what was effectively a career-ending injury. Straight home form the match, four hours' kip and on the road for a 650 mile round trip to my meeting in Dundee and back.

The best part of 1200 miles' driving in 36 hours to see us playing Accrington in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. I must've been insane.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 26, 2017, 02:43:26 pm by not on facebook »
Mike F club loyalty had no bounds .

I recall chaps at Chelsea never missing a game for years upon years season after season.

Pre season friendly > they was there
Division two fixture > they was there
All cup fixtures when CFC were shit > they was there

Division one all fixtures and cup games > they was there
Along came the prem and games in Europe > they was there.

Some of these chaps had not missed a game in 20 years and the day
CFC first won the prem > quite a few then called it a day and pick and choose at best.

One lad missed a game away at Leeds because he was really sick > then since he missed his first game since Real Madrid v CFC in Athens he dropped off .

It's as thou you have not missed a game sincd year  zonk ,that fact keeps on pushing to all games no matter how shite the team was.
Then the day you miss a game it falls apart .

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 26, 2017, 02:46:19 pm by Draytonian III »
I wonder when Charlie last missed a match, missing goals and the occasional kick off is another matter ?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 26, 2017, 03:33:16 pm by not on facebook »
Take you mean Charlie from Thorne

He went throu a phase when at away games he had to visit as pubs pubs as possible ,have half a pint then fcuk off to next pub and note name of pub in his black book.

His side kick Mickey D would be in tow.

Recall when we drove down to Northampton away and we had just hit the town centre .we was at a pedestrian crossing as green man was flashing and the exact time was 11:07 when both Charlie and Mickey D burst across the crossing infront of after flying out of one pub door into another one .

The look of panic on their faces was priceless

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 26, 2017, 07:07:41 pm by Draytonian III »
In the little black book he has over 12k pubs, no doubt a few will have been knocked down or turned into chip shops etc. It was announced at the Burton game 14 months ago that he had not missed a home game in 40 years !!!!

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 29, 2017, 09:02:04 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Early 80's I think or late 70's with a couple of mates. Had a friday night boozing round Sheffield then last train to Bristol. Slept on Temple Meads station from about 4-7am then  next train to Plymouth, still with bottles of beer. After the match went up to London to see a mate who was living there then after another session on the lash followed by last train back up about 11pm to Doncaster...thought scares me now....

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 29, 2017, 09:29:19 pm by not on facebook »
Used to jump onto the trains that were carrying the Royal Mail out of London up east coast main line to get back into donny at silly o'clock in the morning .

Doubt you can do that now

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 30, 2017, 09:58:25 am by Campsall rover »
Just done a check and I have now been to matches at 110 grounds of the current Premier league, Championship, League 1 and 2,
The National League, National North and South.
This list includes some of the Old grounds now gone and replaced with new stadiums such as Maine Rd, Roker Park and Burnden Park, and I have yet to go to their new stadiums.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 30, 2017, 10:00:59 am by Campsall rover »
To answer the thread, Plymouth Argyle is rhe longest round trip of course as you can't do a longer one. Done this one 7 times now.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 30, 2017, 10:30:57 am by Donnywolf »
Just done a check and I have now been to matches at 110 grounds of the current Premier league, Championship, League 1 and 2,
The National League, National North and South.
This list includes some of the Old grounds now gone and replaced with new stadiums such as Maine Rd, Roker Park and Burnden Park, and I have yet to go to their new stadiums.

My list by coincidence is also 110 and includes any Ground where I have see "League" action so the only cheat one is Stoke !

I have Rotherham down for three Grounds and have never seen home games at 16 Grounds including Plymouth Exeter Bournemouth Wycombe Southend (you get the picture) and doubt I ever will now !

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 30, 2017, 01:49:47 pm by idler »
There are shops in those places Wolfy.😉
I've done all of those but not most big grounds in London.
One day maybe.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012