Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:50:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: All gone quiet  (Read 6030 times)

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
All gone quiet
« on May 22, 2017, 11:53:18 am by Geoff Blakesley »
Well I keep looking at the rovers site every day to see if we have signed any new players yet but it seems there is nothing doing recently. Thought we may have had a commitment to a new contract from John Marquis by now. When do you think Fergie will do most of his business ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: All gone quiet
« Reply #1 on May 22, 2017, 12:01:56 pm by drfchound »
I bet Fergie is doing his swan impression Geoff.
You know the one, it all looks quiet on the surface but he will be paddling (working) away like mad.
It has become usual for us not to know anything until the signings have been completed.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 22, 2017, 12:39:30 pm by wing commander »
It's that time of year that managers want to get there business done early but players agents are wanting time to hawk them about for the best deal they can get...In some ways it's easier to get them signed up in the bottom division..Players are happy to get a future sorted out without the worry of dropping into the part time leagues and having to learn plastering...lol

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 22, 2017, 01:09:27 pm by Susan Abbott »
Well I keep looking at the rovers site every day to see if we have signed any new players yet but it seems there is nothing doing recently. Thought we may have had a commitment to a new contract from John Marquis by now. When do you think Fergie will do most of his business ?
Marquis could well be off .. when you have a season like his it won't go unnoticed. We need to look towards securing another of a similar circumstance and a proven one .He was a slow burner but then came good . If we do loose him it will demonstrate to other potential players that we will let players move up the career ladder when their chance comes . He is a player that we have turned around so it should command a fair fee.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 22, 2017, 04:02:22 pm by graingrover »
No Angst here on the Marquis front .. he is just as delighted to be working with DF as we are to have him in Donny .

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 22, 2017, 04:30:10 pm by Herman Hessian »
Marquis could well be off .. when you have a season like his it won't go unnoticed.

that's more likely to be the case if there had been anything to back it up - as it is, 26 in 45 came after six seasons or so of drifting between distinctly ordinary and shíte !

if he's scoring at the same rate come christmas having stepped up a level, then I think you'll find folk sniffing around - new contract or not - I suspect he's no more than "one to watch" for a few clubs at the moment, certainly any at a higher level that may be taking an interest...

ballysbackin

« Reply #6 on May 22, 2017, 04:41:50 pm by ballysbackin »
Marquis could well be off .. when you have a season like his it won't go unnoticed. We need to look towards securing another of a similar circumstance and a proven one .He was a slow burner but then came good . If we do loose him it will demonstrate to other potential players that we will let players move up the career ladder when their chance comes . He is a player that we have turned around so it should command a fair fee.

12 months left on his contract - he goes nowhere

ballysbackin

« Reply #7 on May 22, 2017, 05:01:39 pm by ballysbackin »
Not quiet at The Lane, they just signed Enda Stevens on three year deal.

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 22, 2017, 08:45:56 pm by Susan Abbott »

I hope so , but a good fee and DF would have to be tempted and if Marquis is ambitious he may not want to stay . I do hate this time in between seasons and speculating on the players coming and going .

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 22, 2017, 09:02:05 pm by GazLaz »

12 months is nothing and contracts are worthless.

ballysbackin

« Reply #10 on May 22, 2017, 09:30:10 pm by ballysbackin »
Well it can only be worthless if it is made so, by all parties concerned. Top Scorer - winner of several league awards and club awards?? walks out ...We see

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 22, 2017, 09:39:01 pm by GazLaz »
Well it can only be worthless if it is made so, by all parties concerned. Top Scorer - winner of several league awards and club awards?? walks out ...We see

If he gets a much better offer at a higher level he will go. That goes for every player on the planet.

ballysbackin

« Reply #12 on May 22, 2017, 09:42:26 pm by ballysbackin »
Well I did say "We See" so let us not jump to conclusions, we are supposed to support Donny

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 23, 2017, 07:01:54 am by craigdrfc »
DFP reporting this morning the leftback has signed 2 year deal but cant be named til his contract expires. Signed from a Lge2 club and can play various positions.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 23, 2017, 07:43:04 am by 5minstogo »
DFP reporting this morning the leftback has signed 2 year deal but cant be named til his contract expires. Signed from a Lge2 club and can play various positions.

Fits with Danny Andrew. Left back/Left Midfield/Centre Midfield. Grimsby player of the year, soon to be out of contract.

Or Mal Benning from Mansfield. LB/LW. Also their player of the year and out of contract I believe.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 23, 2017, 08:13:57 am by RedJ »
Hopefully Benning. Andrew doesn't particularly excite me.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 23, 2017, 08:17:29 am by phil old leake »
If a good offer came in for marquis I'd sell. My view is he won't be so prolific next year. I hope he is and I'm sure his work rate will be the same.  If I was him I'd look to move on and take advantage of last season.  He's got to look after his future. I hope he stays and continues to score  I'm not sure about either

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 23, 2017, 09:44:59 am by Bessie Red »

Been told Andrew has signed!

ballysbackin

« Reply #18 on May 23, 2017, 09:50:34 am by ballysbackin »
If a good offer came in for marquis I'd sell. My view is he won't be so prolific next year. I hope he is and I'm sure his work rate will be the same.  If I was him I'd look to move on and take advantage of last season.  He's got to look after his future. I hope he stays and continues to score  I'm not sure about either

But he could be the difference between Relegation and Survival.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 23, 2017, 10:12:27 am by bedale rover »

Or PROMOTION!!!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 23, 2017, 10:21:36 am by DonnyOsmond »

Were apparently signing a 20 goal a season striker from a play off team. I'd hope the aim wasn't just survival.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 23, 2017, 10:23:09 am by drfchound »
Madden?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 23, 2017, 10:58:14 am by DonnyOsmond »

ballysbackin

« Reply #23 on May 23, 2017, 11:00:03 am by ballysbackin »

Were apparently signing a 20 goal a season striker from a play off team. I'd hope the aim wasn't just survival.

Don't get me wrong but you have answered what I think in the case of Marquis (I firmly believe he will sign another contract to stay as he has said) If the club were to sell him then it would be a case of perhaps just servival, if we retain him and sign another like player, you can see which way the club are pointing. That is the point of my thread, never mind "If someone comes in with a large bid".

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 23, 2017, 11:13:55 am by BigKeif »

I'd take both tbf. Always liked benning and Andrews seems a good player too so if opportunity is there to sign to good players then I'd take it.

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 23, 2017, 11:39:10 am by raggytash »
If we can't name him until after next weekend surely there's a possibility it's either Blackpool or exeters full back??

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 23, 2017, 03:32:21 pm by Alan Southstand »
No Angst here on the Marquis front .. he is just as delighted to be working with DF as we are to have him in Donny .

He may well be happy enough Graing, but if we can't or won't pay what his agent thinks he warrants, or has been offered from elsewhere, then he could well be sold (again, IF the transfer fee meets our evaluation). The problem as I see it, is that if everyone is happy and he wants a new contract, then why are we waiting with baited breath? Surely, that is the one thing that could and should have been announced first!

I'm getting a tad concerned and this could prove pivotal to our intentions for next season.

ballysbackin

« Reply #27 on May 23, 2017, 09:30:10 pm by ballysbackin »
Well if anyone had ideas on Keshi coming back. I believe it has just been scuppered as Alladyce has just resigned

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 23, 2017, 09:39:14 pm by RedJ »
Aww drat.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 24, 2017, 05:15:19 pm by GazLaz »
Well if anyone had ideas on Keshi coming back. I believe it has just been scuppered as Alladyce has just resigned

Not sure it will make any difference.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012