Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:31:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New look DROS  (Read 6647 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
New look DROS
« on May 30, 2017, 12:17:33 pm by bobjimwilly »
What does everyone think of the new-look for the Rovers website? https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/

The developers have obviously gone for the "mobile first" look and feel, and it's better that it's the same version of the site that shows, whatever device you're on.
Thumbs up from me on first impressions  :scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: New look DROS
« Reply #1 on May 30, 2017, 12:27:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Seems easier to navigate.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 30, 2017, 12:40:47 pm by Filo »
Is the rovers player app obsolete now, is there an ifollow app instead?

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 30, 2017, 12:45:01 pm by jonnydog »
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 30, 2017, 01:03:00 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Looks more user friendly.

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 30, 2017, 01:18:36 pm by Belle_Vue »
Feels better. Just hope they update it more often, then it might get used more

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 30, 2017, 01:30:56 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Agree with that. Easy to navigate is always and improvement, but quality and timeliness of data is IMHO always the most important part of a website.

Is the migration still a work in progress?  For example I see that at the moment our own match reports are no longer linked, only the Sky sports ones. Our own are always longer, better and with extra information (e.g. number of away fans).

Also it is about time they changed the record appearance maker for Rovers in the history section. It is nearly two years since Copps broke Fred Emery's record.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 30, 2017, 04:59:35 pm by PDX_Rover »
I think the migration of content is ongoing. It's a much better setup though imo.

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 30, 2017, 05:43:56 pm by weststander »
I notice in the Commercial section the Stadium is referred to as the "Keepy Stadium". Intentional or finger trouble I know not.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 30, 2017, 05:45:40 pm by the vicar »
Not to keen you just get used to something a d they change it, don't change anything that is not broken I say

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 30, 2017, 05:48:37 pm by the vicar »

Agree with that. Easy to navigate is always and improvement, but quality and timeliness of data is IMHO always the most important part of a website.

Is the migration still a work in progress?  For example I see that at the moment our own match reports are no longer linked, only the Sky sports ones. Our own are always longer, better and with extra information (e.g. number of away fans).

Also it is about time they changed the record appearance maker for Rovers in the history section. It is nearly two years since Copps broke Fred Emery's record.
how do you know about match reports as there has been no matches since it has been changed lol

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 30, 2017, 06:01:38 pm by Jersey Rover »
Is the live match option available to everyone, I was under the impression it was for people resident outside the U.K.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 30, 2017, 06:18:35 pm by Dutch Uncle »

how do you know about match reports as there has been no matches since it has been changed lol
i

I simply looked at last season's results, and the reports available during the season were no longer available, or at least I could not find them.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 30, 2017, 06:40:48 pm by Upton Rover »
Looks a lot better. Hope they update it better too

ballysbackin

« Reply #14 on May 30, 2017, 06:58:18 pm by ballysbackin »
Is the rovers player app obsolete now, is there an ifollow app instead?

Yep Filo, I also read that it was being replaced by a company who had got the contract for all clubs

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 30, 2017, 08:30:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It feels like that bloody 'touchscreen friendly' tile layout that is incredibly annoying on non-touchscreens because the layout is far too big for the screen and you don't know where you are half the time because you can't see all the options in front of you. I've had to get rid of tiles on the Windows on my devices by scrapping the Start screen in its entirety because I find them completely user-unfriendly. The last thing I want now is websites adopting the bloody things!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 31, 2017, 09:59:40 am by Jenny »
You have to move with the times Glyn. Welcome to the 21st century.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 31, 2017, 10:09:37 am by Wild Rover »

i

I simply looked at last season's results, and the reports available during the season were no longer available, or at least I could not find them.

All there DU. Maybe put there overnight.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 31, 2017, 11:52:56 am by Glyn_Wigley »

So I have to have user-unfriendly crap foisted on me to move with the times? Lovely.

As BJM says in the first post it's a 'mobile first' look, and this change has all the hallmarks of the cock-up Microsoft made with Windows 8, which was all about making it was great for those who use their phone for everything but forgot about those who don't. I really cannot see myself using it at all. All I ever wanted was a list of news stories, in chronological order, newest first. I can't get it to do that at all. If I could turn off the pictures and tiles that are unnecessarily taking up masses of screen space it might help a bit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:04:50 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 31, 2017, 12:24:47 pm by silent majority »
The new website is part of the EFL overhaul of its digital offering. The DROS site is new and is a work in progress and maybe patience should be applied?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 31, 2017, 12:45:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Can they get rid of  the left/right scroll stuff as well then (or enable some sort of personal setting)? Unless someone knows of a mouse that has a left/right scroll wheel..?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 31, 2017, 02:00:16 pm by RoversAlias »
No offence intended Glyn but if something is described as 'user-friendly' nowadays then it will mean being good on touch screens. You are in the extremely small minority not having a touch screen, that's just a fact.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 31, 2017, 02:15:45 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Surely the whole point is to make the site as accessible as possible to as many as possible?

I'll have no problem if there are options to make the site settings user-definable so I can set it to make it easy for me to use.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:18:18 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 31, 2017, 03:10:08 pm by Jenny »
Most development time/money with websites is put into the mobile offering, as companies are forced to move with the times and recognise that most people use mobiles/tablets to surf the internet.

You are in an ever decreasing minority Glyn, and whilst obviously you feel aggrieved by this you can't expect companies to make multiple options for a declining audience.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 31, 2017, 03:13:48 pm by Dutch Uncle »

i

All there DU. Maybe put there overnight.

Thanks WR - I see them now. Either there were put up last night as you say, or I simply missed them. Interestingly Emery has now disappeared as leading appearance maker, but Copps has not appeared in his place yet. So clearly as mentioned above content migration is still a work in progress. I will await full data migration, but I must say I am positive and hopeful.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:16:34 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 31, 2017, 04:25:15 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Most development time/money with websites is put into the mobile offering, as companies are forced to move with the times and recognise that most people use mobiles/tablets to surf the internet.

You are in an ever decreasing minority Glyn, and whilst obviously you feel aggrieved by this you can't expect companies to make multiple options for a declining audience.

I'm not expecting it. That's the problem for me and everybody else that can't afford fancy mobile phones and mobile connectivity. It smacks of pandering only to those fans with money and ignoring those who can only use the 'outdated' computers they have.

Mind you, another reason I don't use my mobile for the internet because my eyes aren't good enough for a small screen.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 31, 2017, 04:30:29 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Looks far better but it's the content and sped of update that's important. As SM says let's be patient on that with it being new so far so good.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 31, 2017, 06:30:39 pm by RoversAlias »
Surely the whole point is to make the site as accessible as possible to as many as possible?

I'll have no problem if there are options to make the site settings user-definable so I can set it to make it easy for me to use.

Exactly, and if they're going to design it to appeal to the majority then they'll be designing it to suit a touch screen. You don't necessarily need to be well off to have a touch screen phone, smart phones are almost the entire market nowadays. I literally don't know anybody who's not got one bar my Grandad, even my Dad who rejects most forms of modern tech (doesn't even have the internet in his home) got a smart phone because he knew it was the only way forward. It only costs him about £12 a month as well, hardly megabucks.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 31, 2017, 07:13:05 pm by Superspy »

So I have to have user-unfriendly crap foisted on me to move with the times? Lovely.

As BJM says in the first post it's a 'mobile first' look, and this change has all the hallmarks of the cock-up Microsoft made with Windows 8, which was all about making it was great for those who use their phone for everything but forgot about those who don't. I really cannot see myself using it at all. All I ever wanted was a list of news stories, in chronological order, newest first. I can't get it to do that at all. If I could turn off the pictures and tiles that are unnecessarily taking up masses of screen space it might help a bit.

Hi Glyn,

I'm not getting any side-scrolling on mine. Are you using a particularly small monitor, or a big monitor with a low resolution?

Also, I've managed to get a list of chronological news stories. Click on news archive (it still shows the latest), then in the top right there are a couple of buttons, one looks like tiles, the other like a list, click the list one and it will reorder the page. :)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 31, 2017, 08:16:38 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Exactly, and if they're going to design it to appeal to the majority then they'll be designing it to suit a touch screen. You don't necessarily need to be well off to have a touch screen phone, smart phones are almost the entire market nowadays. I literally don't know anybody who's not got one bar my Grandad, even my Dad who rejects most forms of modern tech (doesn't even have the internet in his home) got a smart phone because he knew it was the only way forward. It only costs him about £12 a month as well, hardly megabucks.

It might not be megabucks to you but it is to someone on disability. £10 on my pay as you go phone lasts 2-3 months between top-ups, I have absolutely no incentive to go on any contract at all especially when I can use the internet as much as I like at home without it costing me a penny extra. Besides, as I've already said, a phone screen is too small for my eyes to use, that why I use my PC and laptop for the internet.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012