Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:19:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New look DROS  (Read 6649 times)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: New look DROS
« Reply #30 on May 31, 2017, 08:56:10 pm by BobG »
I don't have touch screen crap either so I'm with Glyn. I loathe, really loathe, the shite you get on mobile phones these days. The buttons are too small. The screens are too small. If you make 'em bigger you haven't got a clue where you are on the page. And you get 55,000 sodding tabs to plough through all the sodding time no matter how often you delete the stupid things. I refuse to use the internet at all on the phone. John Luddite here sticks with his pc.

BobG

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 31, 2017, 09:28:36 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I don't have touch screen crap either so I'm with Glyn. I loathe, really loathe, the shite you get on mobile phones these days. The buttons are too small. The screens are too small. If you make 'em bigger you haven't got a clue where you are on the page. And you get 55,000 sodding tabs to plough through all the sodding time no matter how often you delete the stupid things. I refuse to use the internet at all on the phone. John Luddite here sticks with his pc.

BobG

Exactly. Those of you telling us we have to bloody lump it ought to try reading a newspaper page through a 4"x3" hole and see how your eyes like it. Even more so when you can't focus properly.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 31, 2017, 09:52:39 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I'm not getting any side-scrolling on mine. Are you using a particularly small monitor, or a big monitor with a low resolution?

Also, I've managed to get a list of chronological news stories. Click on news archive (it still shows the latest), then in the top right there are a couple of buttons, one looks like tiles, the other like a list, click the list one and it will reorder the page. :)

I followed your directions and get the screen filled with just one link go a story at once because of a picture I can't get rid of. When I scroll down it goes jerky because the 'tiles' are so ridiculously massive and I can't tell how far down it's jumped or whether I've missed anything out when doing it. Digital Spy's site became so much harder for me to use when they went down this route but at least their listing show three or four items onscreen at once so you can judge where you are. One link to an article filling the screen at once? It's bloody horrendous and completely unnecessary.

All I want is a very simple list of hyperlink headlines that all fit on one screen so everything is there in front of me and it's then easy to pick and choose what I want to click on. No overblown screen-sized pictures and tiles, just simplicity. Is what I want to make it easy for me to use the site for really too much to ask for? Even Microsoft build in accessibility settings - they're not very good but at least they try.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:55:34 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 31, 2017, 10:36:15 pm by Superspy »
No problem, I was just trying to help. :)

You could also try to adjust the zoom level of the page...not sure how helpful that would be as I don't know what size screen and resolution you're using.

This is the link to the accessibility page on the new site....again...don't know how much use it will be. https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/accessibility/

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 31, 2017, 10:46:34 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
No problem, I was just trying to help. :)

You could also try to adjust the zoom level of the page...not sure how helpful that would be as I don't know what size screen and resolution you're using.

This is the link to the accessibility page on the new site....again...don't know how much use it will be. https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/accessibility/

I tried zoom because I've had to use it on other sites. When I finally managed to get three item links onscreen, the text was so minute it had practically disappeared. Again because of the pictures/tiles being so ridiculously big. If I could get rid of them it would be much better.

PS the question in my previous post wasn't directed at you, but at those who were in effect telling me to 'get with the times' or lump it.

PPS How on earth did you find that accessibility screen? It's not on any of the drop-down menu options on the home page. It's not very helpful to have a screen called 'Accessibility' and then make it impossible to find!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:06:31 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

darren61

« Reply #35 on May 31, 2017, 10:54:30 pm by darren61 »
 i agree with Superspy, just reduce your page size and find a fit for your screen. click on the 3 horizontal bars on the top right of your screen and get the option to reduce the size of the page.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 31, 2017, 11:07:52 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
i agree with Superspy, just reduce your page size and find a fit for your screen. click on the 3 horizontal bars on the top right of your screen and get the option to reduce the size of the page.

But it reduces the whole page, including the text. See above.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 01, 2017, 12:18:24 am by RoversAlias »
Surely the whole point is to make the site as accessible as possible to as many as possible?

I'll have no problem if there are options to make the site settings user-definable so I can set it to make it easy for me to use.

Exactly, and if they're going to design it to appeal to the majority then they'll be designing it to suit a touch screen. You don't necessarily need to be well off to have a touch screen phone, smart phones are almost the entire market nowadays. I literally don't know anybody who's not got one bar my Grandad, even my Dad who rejects most forms of modern tech (doesn't even have the internet in his home) got a smart phone because he knew it was the only way forward. It only costs him about £12 a month as well, hardly megabucks.

It might not be megabucks to you but it is to someone on disability. £10 on my pay as you go phone lasts 2-3 months between top-ups, I have absolutely no incentive to go on any contract at all especially when I can use the internet as much as I like at home without it costing me a penny extra. Besides, as I've already said, a phone screen is too small for my eyes to use, that why I use my PC and laptop for the internet.

That's all fair enough Glyn, again no offence intended with my earlier posts, but my point remains that you and Bob are very much the minority and therefore, to appeal to the majority then making he website touch-screen friendly makes more sense.

An older relative of mine still has a PAYG deal on their phone but it is a modern smart-phone nonetheless.

I myself prefer to browse the website on my laptop as I don't tend to use my phone to look at websites, only apps that are tailored to a phone screen anyway. My personal opinion of the new website design is that it works much better, is less cluttered and once you get used to it should be a better viewing experience for most, if not all. It's certainly more in line with the standard web design of most major sites of this type nowadays.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 01, 2017, 01:15:57 am by RedJ »
It looks a lot more like the Club Doncaster ticket page as well, which I would imagine is intentional.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 01, 2017, 08:19:45 am by LincsRover »
I can see the issue people might have using it on an iPhone or laptop as my eyes are 'a certain age' and I struggle to read stuff on my phone but I use my iPad more than anything and the new website is great on an iPad. It's obviously been designed for the younger tech-savvie audience (of which I most certainly am not) and I suppose that's just the way things are going - not cost effective to create more than one platform for any website so make it for the majority.

Personally I like it, but can empathise with other points of view too,

:chair:

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 01, 2017, 08:57:42 am by GazLaz »
For the many not the few.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on June 01, 2017, 09:09:28 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Will it be strong and stable?

Glyn as a tip hold the scroll button on your mouse down and move the mouse to the side. It will help.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 01, 2017, 10:16:00 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Glyn as a tip hold the scroll button on your mouse down and move the mouse to the side. It will help.

I've just tried that - it didn't do anything on the screen I was looking at. However, unknown to me, every time I pressed on the scroll roller it opened a duplicate tab in the browser behind the tab I was looking at. I ended up with about a dozen extra open tabs, all of the same thing..!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on June 01, 2017, 10:53:34 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Strange, must be something wrong in your settings.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on June 01, 2017, 01:22:09 pm by bobjimwilly »
Works great on my pc and laptop. There's no side-to-side scrolling on non-mobile devices either from what I can see? Which page did you see it on?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on June 01, 2017, 02:24:57 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Works great on my pc and laptop. There's no side-to-side scrolling on non-mobile devices either from what I can see? Which page did you see it on?

I'm talking about the main home page news link tiles, which are horizontally arranged. Great if you can use your fingers to flick them across, not a great design if you can't - vertical is much better.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on June 01, 2017, 04:24:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Has anyone had any issues playing content on 'Videos'.

After being prompted to change my password following the migration from Player to iFollow, now none of the content plays on either my phone or my tv which they did before.

Struggling to find a help menu.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 01, 2017, 04:47:42 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Strange, must be something wrong in your settings.

I use a Chrome browser, perhaps it doesn't work on that?

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 01, 2017, 05:59:48 pm by Superspy »
It's not a settings issue.."middle clicking" on a link opens the link in a new tab by default. I think it might just be a miscommunication. When you say side scrolling I'm guessing you just mean the tiles are laid out horizontally and the page only holds so many...not that the page itself doesn't fit on the screen (which would give a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom).

If I'm wrong and you can see a scroll bar at the bottom, then you need to make sure your cursor isn't hovering over a link when you press and hold the middle button or the scroll action won't work.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 01, 2017, 06:24:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
No scroll bar, and the page only holds one link tile at a time. Again the problem seems to boil down to a completely impractical picture/tile link size. The more I think about it, just having user-customisation with the option to resize (or not load) them would solve most of the problems I have with this new design.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012