Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:12:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England in World Cup Final  (Read 7305 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: England in World Cup Final
« Reply #30 on June 11, 2017, 12:56:17 pm by Alan Southstand »
Well done lads. Nail biting stuff second half and last 20 minutes seemed like 3 hours.

England have actually won a World Cup!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 11, 2017, 01:07:51 pm by glosterred »
Well done lads. Nail biting stuff second half and last 20 minutes seemed like 3 hours.

England have actually won a World Cup!

Again

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 11, 2017, 01:21:44 pm by acko »
WELL DONE ENGLAND WORLD CHAMPIONS       SOUNDS GOOD

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 11, 2017, 06:17:56 pm by Draytonian III »
How many of those players who played this will make the full international team ? More to the point how many of those players will be playing in the Premier League in the next 5 years, not many on either count in my point of view

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 11, 2017, 07:10:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think these lads have got a good a chance as any to progress to U21 and senior team. There is a different philosophy now as Southgate, being ex U21 manager, will feed in some of these  players over the next few years.

Their club career maybe a different matter. No reason to believe they won't get their chance at Premiership clubs but maintaining regular first team football isn't easy. Some may need to drop to Championship clubs if their way is blocked by foreign players.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 11, 2017, 07:36:27 pm by acko »
I agree on both parts Draytonian but for now lets enjoy the moment

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 11, 2017, 09:28:16 pm by dknward2 »
Could some of these players be the ones DF wants, as they got further in the competition than others expected hence the reason we have had to wait longer

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 11, 2017, 11:30:17 pm by RoversAlias »
Could some of these players be the ones DF wants, as they got further in the competition than others expected hence the reason we have had to wait longer

None of these players are going to be dropping to League One I wouldn't think, especially not after this success.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 12, 2017, 07:53:12 am by Alan Southstand »
Was thinking about this last night and wondered if this crop of young lads came up under the guidance of our once manager, SOD?

They certainly played with quite a bit of flair through the midfield and seemed to like playing it out from the back - rings a few bells.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 12, 2017, 08:54:05 am by GazLaz »
Our players don't tend to train on. Had loads of players over the years that look world beaters at 18 19 20 then are no better at 28.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 12, 2017, 10:12:32 am by acko »
A lot depends on the players thereselfs are they prepared to sit in the back ground and pick up a nice wage packet or do they want to play football at a lower level.Many a player have dropped down a league or two and shone thro and got back to the big league,playing no matter what division is better than watching but again financial benifits come into it.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on June 12, 2017, 02:12:06 pm by roversdude »
Brilliant result and great performance in winning this
Watched second half and we seemed to suffer from not being able to keep the ball - this trait is evident throughout our national team structure

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 12, 2017, 02:26:13 pm by silent majority »
Brilliant result and great performance in winning this
Watched second half and we seemed to suffer from not being able to keep the ball - this trait is evident throughout our national team structure

The England team had 60% possession in the first half.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on June 12, 2017, 03:14:03 pm by roversdude »
SM as stated only watched second half

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 12, 2017, 03:21:01 pm by drfchound »
Roversdude, a bloke who i work with backs you up on this.
I also didn't see the game but my colleague tells me that the standard of football wasn't particularly great, especially from our boys in the second half.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 12, 2017, 03:36:22 pm by RedJ »
It was a good game regardless.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 12, 2017, 03:49:40 pm by DonnyNoel »
Have to say I was surprised to see Venezuela in the semis but I wathced most of their game against Uruguay and the final on Sunday and they have some cracking technical players.

The final itself was pretty hectic, certainly compared to the pedestrian England game the night before, but there were some glimpses of quality sure enough. The last 15 minutes showed that experience does become essential in certain situations, a couple of England players started to panic and hack at clearances and a couple took long shots that only conceded possesion. In a senior game I doubt you'd have seen that but overall we have some good players in that group.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 12, 2017, 05:07:19 pm by roversdude »
I enjoyed what I saw of the game and loved the result
Just thought that the art of closing out a game is something we lack as a nation. How many senior England games have we been in front and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 12, 2017, 05:15:29 pm by acko »
I myself thought the Venezuela team were quite impressive at times after a poor 1st half they came out fighting,but it was muck or nettles for them then.They certainly had some gifted talent and what was interesting not just the Venezuela players but a good few of the south american continuent are already playing in Europe.I think its says alot when Chelsea sell the man of the tournement to not a lower league team but to Liverpool i think it shows which way they are going.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 14, 2017, 05:27:16 am by roversdude »
Same trait again last night with senior team

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 14, 2017, 08:03:08 am by acko »
Another inept performance,no signs of a system that Southgate wants to play.Too many players playing out of their position.Midfield none existant French walked through it with space to spare.Henderson badly missed and lets hope Wiltshire can come back to form and stay injury free.My on oppinion says Southgate is not the man to be top man but till after the world cup finals we are lumbered with him.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on June 14, 2017, 08:10:13 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Agree with that except Wilshire is not the answer.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 14, 2017, 09:59:20 am by Rovers91 »
If Lewis Cook does well for Bournemouth this year he could possibly make the senior squad for the World Cup next year because he is a talent.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 14, 2017, 10:00:15 am by Alan Southstand »
Centre midfield was, just about, non existent. Dire looks to be going backwards and O/C looked as though he hadn't a clue.

There were better players in the u20 team than what we had on show last night - why not go for youth?

Southgate has no idea and hadn't a clue how to change things once they went to 10. However, he wasn't helped by players who seem unable to pass it 5 yards!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 14, 2017, 11:05:42 am by NickDRFC »
Centre midfield was, just about, non existent. Dire looks to be going backwards and O/C looked as though he hadn't a clue.

There were better players in the u20 team than what we had on show last night - why not go for youth?

Southgate has no idea and hadn't a clue how to change things once they went to 10. However, he wasn't helped by players who seem unable to pass it 5 yards!

I think we have talent in some areas but central defence and central midfield is a big concern. I don't think it can be solved by throwing youth in - Cook might have looked great against Venezuela under 20s but put him up against Pogba and Kante and it would be a different story. Hopefully some of them can progress this season though - starting a world cup with 2 of Dier, Henderson, Livermore and O-C as your central midfielders doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

EDIT - a player who I really like the look of (and I'm surprised he didn't go to the World Cup) is Tom Davies at Everton. If he builds on last season it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the squad for Russia.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:11:00 am by NickDRFC »

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 14, 2017, 11:51:09 am by acko »
I agree Nick with Davies reminds me of a Lampard and Gerrard type player certainly one to keep the eye on.A big year for a lot of players so they must hit the ground running and i said previousl certain players must look at themselves and consider if a move to another club will give them the game time.Walcott,Sturridge,Stirling,Wiltshire and even Stones and Rashford ,Lingard can come into that area

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on June 14, 2017, 12:43:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The concern for me, whoever seems to play, is they don't seem willing or able to sustain a high work rate through a match.

Not just Dier, although he was the worst culprit, seem to avoid finding space to make themselves available for a pass. All of the French players were mobile and busting a gut to get in position by making intelligent movements/runs. All are capable of taking passes in their stride.

We seem to be only capable of bursts of energy for short periods. We can't keep persevering with Stirling who hasn't got the composure or intelligence to make the final pass/shot.

We have a different mentality where we only seem to bust a gut in the last 10 mins of a game when we go more direct.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on June 14, 2017, 01:20:58 pm by steve@dcfd »
Last night showed Why Stones is not getting picked regurlaly for Man City he is a poor defender yes he s good on the ball.
Dier is a better defender than central midfield player, that's why Wanyama and Dembele play there for Spurs.
Chamberlain had very poor game and should not play central again.
So the biggest dilemma for any England manager who are the best English players for central midfield, with a match of defensive qualities and can set up attacking situations. In the premier league there are very few English central midfield players with quality.
Also apart from one thing Sterling showed he's not good enough he runs down blind allies.
These views are based against quality opponents not the ones we are qualifying against.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 14, 2017, 01:54:51 pm by GazLaz »
Dier is not good enough.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 14, 2017, 06:28:56 pm by Rovers91 »
Dier is not good enough.

He is good enough he shows that for spurs, but when it comes to England he is sat in there with nobody good enough. At Spurs he has Dembele and Wanyama with him, he can't control a midfield by himself.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012