Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:48:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Interesting article about Orient  (Read 2770 times)

roversontheup

• VSC Member
Interesting article about Orient
« on June 11, 2017, 07:42:51 pm by roversontheup »
I've just read the article linked below. Really well written and I imagine strikes a cord with many of us on here.

Setting Sun - theBlizzard.co.uk

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversontheup

• VSC Member
Re: Interesting article about Orient
« Reply #1 on June 11, 2017, 09:22:58 pm by roversontheup »
Don't think my first link worked. Hope this one does......

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/setting-sun

ballysbackin

« Reply #2 on June 11, 2017, 10:07:26 pm by ballysbackin »
I have nothing but Respect and Admiration for this man, still an Orient fan even living up in the North. A good read and an honest one too, putting football into perspective even when his team lose at Wembley and then lose their status in the EFL. And nobody cares about poor Leyton Orient FC. Except the fans.

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 11, 2017, 10:11:04 pm by Guernsey Exile »
Filled up reading that.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 11, 2017, 10:26:19 pm by idler »
An excellent article that sums up life as a fan of an unfashionable team.
I'm sure that most on this board will empathise with him.
It's a bit like going back to 1998.
It put's into perspective the grown men crying at Premier League games when their team fails.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 12, 2017, 12:04:41 am by BobG »
Spot on Idler. But even worse, you or I could substitute the names of any of a dozen clubs or more over decades now. And still nothing changes. Football doesn't deserve the support it's given.

BobG

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 12, 2017, 08:42:36 am by idler »
That is exactly right Bob.
Should a small club be seen to transgress any FA rules then it's a case of draconian measures. A bigger club gets a slap on the wrist.
The same applied to the Dons when they reached the top tier.
Two Wigan players got lighter punishment and then the scandal of Wigan's light punishment for salary cap breaches. We've just seen it again with the Belles, that's twice now.
It's like a cancer in sport that can't be cut out.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 12, 2017, 10:07:31 am by Dutch Uncle »
Great article. Replace Orient by DRFC and this part summarises supporting Rovers for me:

Leyton Orient Football Club is not my life, but it has been the only constant in it. I realise that every major event, every stage, every shifting moment, is connected in some way to this daft, infuriating football team.

It defined my childhood, inspired my education, gave me my sense of humour, united my family. It has brought some joy, but mostly pain. Yet it has always been a wonderful, happy distraction from life’s trials and tribulations. I did not have to support Orient, I could have chosen any team in London, but where my dad trod, my brother and I held his hand and followed.

As in the first paragraph, sometimes when I want to recall when something happened in my life I can often remember what Rovers were doing at the time, and that gives me the year. Sad almost certainly, and something incomprehensible to most Johnny-come-lately Premiership supporters.

I really hope Leyton Orient come through this

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 12, 2017, 12:20:33 pm by bpoolrover »
All debts paid and winding up orders dropped

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 12, 2017, 12:26:17 pm by RoversAlias »
All debts paid and winding up orders dropped

Almost true, they have paid off the creditors who were on the winding-up petition but apparently there are more people/bodies owed and another WUP could be filed this week. It's such a sorry situation and I hope someone buys them soon because the fans and staff cannot be made to go on wondering if they'll have a club by the end of the week or not.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 12, 2017, 01:32:31 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Now if I was a conspiracy theorist-

"Without a team to play in it, the former chairman Barry Hearn can get on with selling the ground he still owns and Brisbane Road can be turned into luxury apartments to fuel the gentrification of E10. Leyton Orient will be wiped off the football map."

ballysbackin

« Reply #11 on June 12, 2017, 10:03:29 pm by ballysbackin »
Then there is this story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-40250175

Let you make your own minds up

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 13, 2017, 09:47:40 pm by BobG »
Just this week I've read on an Orient site somewhere that they have no senior professionals on the books, nowhere to train and, wait for it... no nets! They're in deep doo doo even if the nets bit is rubbish. I really hope they come through - even though they broke my heart that day they thumped us 8-0 even after taking off their strikers....

BobG

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 14, 2017, 12:22:03 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
That 8-0 is dwarfed by the other side of the coin, the 3-1 victory on our return to the FL, baking hot afternoon on that terrace with a few thousand other Donny fans, and grinning Greg and Leo. And then in January a 5-0 at Belle Vue with a hat-trick from Leo. I have a soft spot for Orient  :scarf:

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 14, 2017, 01:01:36 pm by Pancho Regan »
That 8-0 is dwarfed by the other side of the coin, the 3-1 victory on our return to the FL, baking hot afternoon on that terrace with a few thousand other Donny fans, and grinning Greg and Leo. And then in January a 5-0 at Belle Vue with a hat-trick from Leo. I have a soft spot for Orient  :scarf:

Agreed BRR.

That baking hot day at Orient in our first match back in the league will remain one of my best-ever Rovers memories.
I remember being excited but also nervous before kick-off, not knowing how we would cope being back in the 'big-time'...!

I certainly got a resounding answer that day, and the rest as they say is history. Also very cathartic after the 0-8 drubbing by Orient during our dark days.

I too have a soft spot for Orient and I feel their pain, as I'm sure many Rovers fans do.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 14, 2017, 11:11:25 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
what's in a name the top division French side Lorient got relegated the other week for the double and to think we all thought orient would be in the top 6

xxxxxxxxx just for u but ............
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:04:08 am by Colemans Left Hook »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 14, 2017, 11:34:43 pm by BobG »
What's 10x mean Coleman? Is it a code?

Barry Hearn has spoken, and written, publicly many times about why he didn't sell the ground. If you choose to do a spot of looking you can find it easy enough. He kept the ground as insurance. He's an Orient supporter. He didn't want anything  'unfortunate' to happen to it. I believe he helped get one of those community asset thingy orders on it as well (though that's from memory and I might have it wrong).

It's badly informed misrepresentations like yours, Coleman, that sometimes end up in Court. I'd delete your post pdq if I were you.

Cheers

BobG
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:37:55 pm by BobG »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012