Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:59:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Striker Signing  (Read 5732 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Striker Signing
« Reply #30 on June 17, 2017, 10:44:28 pm by Alan Southstand »
Fight or flight? It's called having the right character, or attitude, and he didn't have the requisite. Where is he now? He's still not pulling any trees up, is it the fault of everyone's fans? Come on, man.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 17, 2017, 11:04:45 pm by drfchound »
I can only speak about what I saw and heard Alan.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on June 18, 2017, 08:50:06 am by i_ateallthepies »
Any Rovers fan who berates one of our players so that the player can hear it is not a supporter in my book.  However, I will speak about what I saw on the pitch Hound.  He demonstrated a very few times that he had footballing skill, he demonstrated far more times that he looked like he had never seen a football in his life.  But the one thing about him for which I will forever judge him was that he would never compete for a header.  He had thighs that should have seen him leaping like a salmon but his toes would barely leave the pitch.  Many times he would be facing away from the ball when he made his laughable 'attempt' at a leap such was his pathetic attitude.

Curtis Main deserves all of the criticism he continues to receive.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 18, 2017, 08:56:46 am by Jonathan »
I agree with hound on this. You cannot boo, jeer and deride a player and expect him to perform his best and enjoy playing for you.

Yes, Curtis Main may have been lacking in mental strength, in this day and age it's recognised that lots of people need some level of help to manage their mental health, but our fans were vile to him. He may have been shit, same goes for ATS, but the way some of our supporters behaved towards him was utterly terrible.

Footballers are still human beings - I think when hundreds / thousands of people are rounding on you (from your own side) it would be very hard to maintain high self esteem and confidence. And then some people had the audacity to question why he wouldn't want to return from a successful loan spell at Oldham?!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:03:16 am by Jonathan »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 18, 2017, 10:08:31 am by DonnyOsmond »
Same goes for Etheridge.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 18, 2017, 10:21:41 am by GazLaz »
I agree with hound on this. You cannot boo, jeer and deride a player and expect him to perform his best and enjoy playing for you.

Yes, Curtis Main may have been lacking in mental strength, in this day and age it's recognised that lots of people need some level of help to manage their mental health, but our fans were vile to him. He may have been shit, same goes for ATS, but the way some of our supporters behaved towards him was utterly terrible.

Footballers are still human beings - I think when hundreds / thousands of people are rounding on you (from your own side) it would be very hard to maintain high self esteem and confidence. And then some people had the audacity to question why he wouldn't want to return from a successful loan spell at Oldham?!

Mental strength is a key part of being a top player. Imagine what it's like playing for England, under that pressure.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 18, 2017, 10:33:14 am by RedJ »
Same goes for Etheridge.

Not justifying people's behaviour towards anyone mentioned but Etheridge looked a bag of nerves in his first interview, he doesn't come across as a particularly confident person at all.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 18, 2017, 10:47:23 am by DonnyOsmond »
Same goes for Etheridge.

Not justifying people's behaviour towards anyone mentioned but Etheridge looked a bag of nerves in his first interview, he doesn't come across as a particularly confident person at all.

Agree there. He needs a manager and fanbase who will wrap him in cotton wool and patient with him.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 18, 2017, 11:34:35 am by Campsall rover »
The way Curtis Main was treated by a some of our so called supporters was a total disgrace. What do you think it is going to do to a player when he is booed coming on to the pitch as a sub.
His confidence was shot to pieces.
Whether he was good enough or not is irrelevant, the fact is genuine supporters get behind the team and the individual players.
We only have the right to moan when someone isn't trying.
Curtis Main did try it just looked as though he wasn't because of no confidence due to all the verbal abuse he was getting.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 18, 2017, 01:38:37 pm by RoversAlias »
Same goes for Etheridge.

Whilst I agree his confidence was shot from day one (the long ranger he let in on his debut started it all), people jumping on him on here for that interview were being overly harsh. Not everyone can handle having a camera pointed at them and questions asked, it doesn't mean necessarily that that would carry over into other things. Look at how little SOD enjoyed media interviews and he didore than alright for himself on and off the pitch.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 19, 2017, 10:05:55 am by RedJ »
Aye but there's a difference between not being charismatic and looking as though you'd wet yourself if someone softly said boo.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012