Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:48:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bradford City  (Read 3880 times)

richtherover

• Forum Member
Bradford City
« on June 17, 2017, 02:27:08 am by richtherover »
Mixed emotions. I was at both League Cup ties in 1966, 1-1 away and a fantastic performance to beat them 5-2 in the replay, including the best goal I have ever seen by a Rovers player - a bicycle kick by King Alick. Why mixed emotions? This was the game before the fateful away trip to Brighton, after which occurred the fatal car crash that killed skipper John Nicholson (R. I. P.), and effectively finished Alick's career.
Sad memories.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Re: Bradford City
« Reply #1 on June 17, 2017, 07:54:01 am by Herbert Anchovy »
My Dad would talk about John Nicholson a lot. A tough, no nonsense defender by the sound of it. There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about your favourite Rovers player as opposed to the best you've seen and I think Nicholson would probably have been my Dads favourite (or one of them anyway).

I believe Rovers had a testimonial for his family after the tragedy and George Best came along to Belle Vue to play in it.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 17, 2017, 08:02:32 am by Dutch Uncle »
Not meaning to contradict Herbert, but funnily enough my memories of John Nicholson were of a very cultured and classy footballer - a bit like Baudry in fact. To a lad like me he also seemed a very good, calm but authorative leader as well.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 17, 2017, 08:06:12 am by sheffield exile1 »
I remember, I think it was a christmas/new year fixture before the tragic fire, when the pitch had about 10% grass at best, and the centre circle was pure mud when Snod did a one man show and Stuart McCall was totally outclassed. I often wonder if he chose Scotland as a result as I believe he could have played for either.....

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 17, 2017, 09:12:45 am by idler »
Not meaning to contradict Herbert, but funnily enough my memories of John Nicholson were of a very cultured and classy footballer - a bit like Baudry in fact. To a lad like me he also seemed a very good, calm but authorative leader as well.
That is exactly my memory Dutch.
He always had time on the ball and looked a class above most players.
John Wylie who also had blonde hair played alongside him was uncompromising. Maybe over the years Rich's dad was confusing the names of the two.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 17, 2017, 10:00:57 am by Herbert Anchovy »

No problem at all Dutch, you'll know better than me so I'm sure you're right!

The 60's were way before my time but it's a period in the Rovers history that fascinates me, partly because it's the period when my Dad was a Rovers nut but also because it seems that we had some of the best players in our history during that period and following Rovers was a real rollercoaster ride!!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 17, 2017, 10:02:58 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I remember, I think it was a christmas/new year fixture before the tragic fire, when the pitch had about 10% grass at best, and the centre circle was pure mud when Snod did a one man show and Stuart McCall was totally outclassed. I often wonder if he chose Scotland as a result as I believe he could have played for either.....

Was that the game when Glynn scored the free kick Sheffield? Also, didn't we have 2 players sent off too or am I thinking of something completely different?

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 17, 2017, 10:29:25 am by acko »
nicholson was a rock in defence and a classy player.his 1st season rovers were promoted from the then div4,all the expectations was that they would go up again to the div2.but the accident meant we lost nick and alick was out for a decent time.This as i remember knocked the rovers to bits and relegation followed instead of promising season for promotion

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 17, 2017, 03:36:00 pm by Goole Rover »
Mixed emotions. I was at both League Cup ties in 1966, 1-1 away and a fantastic performance to beat them 5-2 in the replay, including the best goal I have ever seen by a Rovers player - a bicycle kick by King Alick. Why mixed emotions? This was the game before the fateful away trip to Brighton, after which occurred the fatal car crash that killed skipper John Nicholson (R. I. P.), and effectively finished Alick's career.
Sad memories.
I was talking to in my mind the best Rovers centre forward I've seen, Laurie Sheffield. We were talking about the King, the first thing he mentioned was that goal, what a night. Thanks for reminding me Rich.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 17, 2017, 03:40:23 pm by idler »
I went to both games as well.
Little did I realise that I'd be moving to Bradford 12 years later.
Two good games and as you say, Alick's goal in the 5-2 was superb.
I'm sure that he was nearer to the penalty spot than the six yard line as well.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 17, 2017, 10:21:46 pm by drfchound »
My Dad would talk about John Nicholson a lot. A tough, no nonsense defender by the sound of it. There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about your favourite Rovers player as opposed to the best you've seen and I think Nicholson would probably have been my Dads favourite (or one of them anyway).

I believe Rovers had a testimonial for his family after the tragedy and George Best came along to Belle Vue to play in it.

Herbert, I was at the testimonial game.
It was a Rovers Eleven which had many guest players against the then Division One Champion, Liverpool, who sent their first team.
I think Liverpool won 4-3 and Best scored either one or two for us.
A couple of years ago I was selling the match programme for the game on eBay and was contacted about it.
It was a family member of John Nicholson who was collecting memorabilia about him.
I was glad it went where it did.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 17, 2017, 10:25:37 pm by BobG »
Herbert: Rovers scored just before half time from a Glynn thunderbolt freekick through a tiny gap in the Bradford wall. In the second half we had three players sent off quite quickly. We had a lad called Parker on loan from Barnsley and he ran himself absolutely ragged chasing everything that moved on his own upfront. Dennis was in goal and other six were strung out in a line across the pitch 10-20 yards oustide our area. And Ian stood there goading them. It was the finest Rovers performance I have ever, ever seen. And the finest player performance too. Ian was simply magnificent that day. We won 1-0. And they were top at the time too.

BobG

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 17, 2017, 10:33:33 pm by drfchound »
Bob, that was Derek Parker.
He is a good pal of mine who had a decent pro career.
He currently does match commentaries on Radio Sheffield.
He is a very funny man.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 18, 2017, 04:14:13 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Herbert: Rovers scored just before half time from a Glynn thunderbolt freekick through a tiny gap in the Bradford wall. In the second half we had three players sent off quite quickly. We had a lad called Parker on loan from Barnsley and he ran himself absolutely ragged chasing everything that moved on his own upfront. Dennis was in goal and other six were strung out in a line across the pitch 10-20 yards oustide our area. And Ian stood there goading them. It was the finest Rovers performance I have ever, ever seen. And the finest player performance too. Ian was simply magnificent that day. We won 1-0. And they were top at the time too.

BobG
Yes it sticks in my mind as a truly outstanding performance even after all these years. I believe I went on Ken Avis's bus as there were no other means of getting there so it would have been Boxing Day I think... 

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 18, 2017, 04:17:59 pm by idler »
I'd moved to Bradford by then and one of the few that I missed.
It was either Boxing Day or New Year's Day if I remember right.
I think that was City's only home defeat that season as they romped to promotion.
I saw the return fixture at Belle Vue where I think Bobby Campbell scored twice as we lost 1-3 I think.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 18, 2017, 05:01:16 pm by Prez »
Think it was Boxing day 1984 though I may be wrong.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 18, 2017, 06:01:46 pm by craigdrfc »
That side in 84/85 was great I thought. It really should have gone on further. If memory serves though, injuries were not kind, and predictably the Snods were sold off over time.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 18, 2017, 07:02:42 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
That side in 84/85 was great I thought. It really should have gone on further. If memory serves though, injuries were not kind, and predictably the Snods were sold off over time.

Totally agree Craig. Bremmner was on the cusp of creating a team to really challenge for promotion to Div 2. Unfortunately BB went to Leeds, the Snodins were sold and Alan Brown and Ray 'Dixie' Deans both had to retire through injury.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 18, 2017, 07:55:59 pm by craigdrfc »
Ive mentioned on this board before that Brown and Deans looked like being a brilliant partnership, supplied by John Buckley and G.Snod. I think if they had stayed fit we might have made the second tier under Bremner. All 'ifs and buts' though I guess.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 19, 2017, 06:41:22 pm by CottyRover »

BobG

I was at that game. I got lost, arrived late and ended up in the middle of the city fans. That was an interesting experience! Dennis was awesome that day if I recall correctly.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 19, 2017, 08:50:27 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Herbert, I was at the testimonial game.
It was a Rovers Eleven which had many guest players against the then Division One Champion, Liverpool, who sent their first team.
I think Liverpool won 4-3 and Best scored either one or two for us.
A couple of years ago I was selling the match programme for the game on eBay and was contacted about it.
It was a family member of John Nicholson who was collecting memorabilia about him.
I was glad it went where it did.

That's good to know hound.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 20, 2017, 11:00:33 pm by BobG »
He is a very funny man.

Gosh! I have always wondered what happened to him Hound. Briliant to have heard and brilliant that you actually know him! If you ever have the chance, perhaps you could tell him his performance that day still sticks in my memory after well over 30 years. And that that was the finest Rovers performance I have ever seen bar none. I imagine it ranks with the Man City 4-4 game for drama, impact and emotional longevity.

Cheers

BobG

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 20, 2017, 11:02:27 pm by RedRover45 »
He is a very funny man.

Gosh! I have always wondered what happened to him Hound. Briliant to have heard and brilliant that you actually know him! If you ever have the chance, perhaps you could tell him his performance that day still sticks in my memory after well over 30 years. And that that was the finest Rovers performance I have ever seen bar none. I imagine it ranks with the Man City 4-4 game for drama, impact and emotional longevity.

Cheers

BobG

The famous Man City game was 4-3 after we were 3-0 down.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 21, 2017, 12:11:25 am by BobG »
Oh! Many thanks indeed Red. I was going on a 30 year memory of what my Dad had said. Clearly a rubbish memory!

Bob

TinyPortal © 2005-2012