Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:19:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Conor Grant  (Read 6967 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Conor Grant
« on June 20, 2017, 09:53:38 am by phil old leake »
If DF has missed out on his hopeful signings will that reopen the door for Grant

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Conor Grant
« Reply #1 on June 20, 2017, 10:16:30 am by Dare to dream! »
There's a possibility because he is young and still has time to improve. However I wouldn't sign him because has been poor for a long time now.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 20, 2017, 10:17:08 am by selby »
I would rather see Middleton given a better chance than he had last year.Grant did not play in any way better than Middleton, but always got the shout for a starting place.
  Paying the wages of loan players if they do not play, always gives them the advantage, and stops the home made players from having a chance.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 20, 2017, 10:27:20 am by Retdon1 »
I would rather see Middleton given a better chance than he had last year.Grant did not play in any way better than Middleton, but always got the shout for a starting place.
  Paying the wages of loan players if they do not play, always gives them the advantage, and stops the home made players from having a chance.

Middleton is not good enough for league 1.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 20, 2017, 10:42:47 am by RoversAlias »
I really hope not, Grant is not up to it and I wouldn't like to see us go back for him after such a poor spell here the past 6 months.

EDIT: Having just read the article on the other thread about who we've missed out on, it was a Championship centre back and a loanee striker anyway, so Grant would not be a factor at all.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:46:12 am by RoversAlias »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 20, 2017, 11:01:09 am by DonnyOsmond »
Apparently we are still to find out about a midfielder on loan.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 20, 2017, 11:41:17 am by Dare to dream! »
Fleetwood have withdrawn their contract offer for Jimmy Ryan. He'd be worth a punt, great central midfielder at this level

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 20, 2017, 12:19:44 pm by selby »
Retdon1 we will agree to differ,I think we are making a mistake with both Lund and Middleton,time will tell.
   If they do go somewhere else, I wish them well,given the chance  I expect them both to do well.
   What I would like to know is how many times you saw them play last season to come to your conclusion,Mason and Grant never impressed me, and I watched every game they played,but I would not dismiss them as not being good enough.
   We all have an opinion,Mason for example to me was one of the poorest players in the last four games of the season,Middleton could not have been worse.
   I saw Middleton boss midfield at Mansfield, and in reserve games against Grimsby and Sheffield Wednesday at Cantley,I never saw Mason affect any game all season,a player from a premiership team who we have to pay his wages if he does not play.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 20, 2017, 12:25:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There must be a reason they've withdrawn the offer.

Can't agree re Middleton. Like many of us who saw his potential, I'm afraid it hasn't really materialise. He's had ample opportunities and the performance level of Houghton, Mason and even McCullough after his long lay off, showed how far off he was even at League Two level. One or two good games is not enough.

Similarly with Grant. Just not imposed himself sufficiently to warrant the investment. Maybe an early life lesson if he thought he was stitched on to land a permanent deal.

There's little room for sentiment as we'll just end up stagnating.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 20, 2017, 12:26:09 pm by GazLaz »
Fleetwood have withdrawn their contract offer for Jimmy Ryan. He'd be worth a punt, great central midfielder at this level

I'd carry Jimmy Ryan here myself. He's quality.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 20, 2017, 12:52:08 pm by NickDRFC »
Retdon1 we will agree to differ,I think we are making a mistake with both Lund and Middleton,time will tell.
   If they do go somewhere else, I wish them well,given the chance  I expect them both to do well.
   What I would like to know is how many times you saw them play last season to come to your conclusion,Mason and Grant never impressed me, and I watched every game they played,but I would not dismiss them as not being good enough.
   We all have an opinion,Mason for example to me was one of the poorest players in the last four games of the season,Middleton could not have been worse.
   I saw Middleton boss midfield at Mansfield, and in reserve games against Grimsby and Sheffield Wednesday at Cantley,I never saw Mason affect any game all season,a player from a premiership team who we have to pay his wages if he does not play.

I agree with the Mansfield game about Middleton, he came on as a sub and was excellent, but that is the only game I can recall him making anything remotely resembling an impact on. He hasn't improved since he's broken into the first team picture and I can't see him being anything other than a league two player in his career.

Lund, on the other hand, I'm surprised at - thought he might have been given a chance now that he's recovered from injury.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 20, 2017, 12:53:24 pm by Upton Rover »
He is class and would be welcome back any day

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 20, 2017, 01:12:20 pm by anton123 »
I believe grant would be good enough for league 1 and will soon be championship class if we can get him in on low wages it's a no brainer for me although I do agree he second stint was not as good but he will come good and would be a good investment

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 20, 2017, 01:17:21 pm by Retdon1 »

I only missed 5 games home and away last season so have seen plenty of them. in my opinion we should be aiming for a top half finish next season and for me Middleton is an average bottom half league 2 player. His passing isn't good enough and just isn't mobile enough to play at a higher level. About 4 seasons ago I thought he showed promise but he's not 18 any more and hasn't developed enough... I'm surprised we are letting Lund go as before he got his injury I thought he was playing well and would of given him another season.... I agree with you on mason and grant. I like mason as a defender but not in midfield and grant was poor last season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 20, 2017, 01:20:14 pm by RoversAlias »
Mason did okay in midfield in a couple of games but I do much prefer him in the back line. His lack of left foot means I dislike him at left back bug as a right back or in the back three he did well. Proved his versatility and commitment, happy to have him on board for the coming season.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 20, 2017, 01:22:36 pm by Retdon1 »
Mason did okay in midfield in a couple of games but I do much prefer him in the back line. His lack of left foot means I dislike him at left back bug as a right back or in the back three he did well. Proved his versatility and commitment, happy to have him on board for the coming season.

Yeah happy we have signed him as he can play in 4 or 5 positions. Plus he is still young and last year was his first year playing men's football so will improve again next year

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 20, 2017, 01:24:56 pm by dickos1 »
Jimmy Ryan is class
Chesterfield away a few years back he was on a different planet to everyone else

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 20, 2017, 05:11:24 pm by RedJ »

I agree with the Mansfield game about Middleton, he came on as a sub and was excellent, but that is the only game I can recall him making anything remotely resembling an impact on.

He set up a goal for Williams at Grimsby.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 20, 2017, 06:04:15 pm by selby »
Mandeville and Middleton came on for the last half hour at Cheltenham and were the reason why we closed that game down to win when we were in danger of giving it away.
  As I have said everyone has an opinion,but in my opinion he is as good if not better than some of the players who played more games last season.
  Apart from the second half at Colchester,when Grant was awsum,I cannot remember coming out of a ground thinking tht him or Mason had played any better than average,and the last four games,Carlisle away and Plymouth away I thought Mason was poor and cost us points.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 20, 2017, 06:16:10 pm by Rovers91 »
Mandeville and Middleton came on for the last half hour at Cheltenham and were the reason why we closed that game down to win when we were in danger of giving it away.
  As I have said everyone has an opinion,but in my opinion he is as good if not better than some of the players who played more games last season.
  Apart from the second half at Colchester,when Grant was awsum,I cannot remember coming out of a ground thinking tht him or Mason had played any better than average,and the last four games,Carlisle away and Plymouth away I thought Mason was poor and cost us points.

Grant is definitely a better player than Middleton he just needs to find his form again but he is technically different level to Middleton. It was hard for Mason to really excel because he covered that many positions but he didn't let anyone down and will go on to have a better career than Middleton.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 20, 2017, 06:41:54 pm by selby »
Rovers 91 maybe,they are definately away to a better start being from premiership teams.
  Having seen all of Grants games in his first spell with us I would find it hard to argue with your point on ability,but the way he let the Cambridge player run away from him to  score,and his lack of effectiveness in other games makes me question his desire when things are not easy for him.
  After expressing my views on the two (Mason and Grant)in matches I have expected fans who were at the matches to disagree with my opinion,none have and if people agree,why get on Middletons back who has played as well if not better at times when given the chance.
   If they are better players,they have not exactly shown it to my mind.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 20, 2017, 06:52:02 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Think there is a good reason why DF has seen fit to transfer list both Middleton and Lund and why there hasn't been a queue by the sounds of it for their services. Middleton was in last chance saloon last season for me and in a good side in a poor division was garbage. No pace, no goalscoring ability, limited assists, not a great tackler or fantastic engine.. ain't likely to step up to league one again unfortunately and certainly not consistently.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 20, 2017, 06:59:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Think there is a good reason why DF has seen fit to transfer list both Middleton and Lund and why there hasn't been a queue by the sounds of it for their services. Middleton was in last chance saloon last season for me and in a good side in a poor division was garbage. No pace, no goalscoring ability, limited assists, not a great tackler or fantastic engine.. ain't likely to step up to league one again unfortunately and certainly not consistently.

Yeah, but apart from those things he's ok! 😉

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 20, 2017, 07:11:37 pm by selby »
Thats your view on Middleton which you are entitled to.I have given my opinion on Grant and Mason what is your opinion,I would not have signed Mason or Grant on last years form.
   I would have liked a proper left back,and both were over run in midfield when playing there especially against Blackpool and Hartlepool at the end of the season when the chips were down and they are not exactly Real Madrid are they.
   When McColough went off at Hartlepool Grant came on joining Mason in midfield.We were hopeless,and Keegan a like for like player was on the bench watching,we changed three positions including the left back when one would have been better.
    For the last half hour we were not National league standard.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 20, 2017, 07:27:58 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Middletons best asset is his passing.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 20, 2017, 07:36:11 pm by 5minstogo »
If we find another club for Middleton and Lund and find players who improve our squad then we can't grumble. What I don't want to happen is to let two young homegrown players go and replace them with a Harper and N'Guessan for instance.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 20, 2017, 07:59:47 pm by Jonathan »
Mason was part of a team that performed poorly in the last four games, almost to a man.

Judging Mason on the season as a whole I think he's been excellent. For one so young he's shown an ability to adapt to numerous positions. He got us through most of the season without overly missing a recognised left back (despite being right footed) and, for example at Notts County away, he's done well in a midfield role when called upon and his performances helped us to deal with the loss of Houghton much better than we might otherwise have done.

So if you want someone to disagree with your assertion that Mason wasn't worth signing permanently then I disagree wholeheartedly. I think he's an excellent addition to the squad and an exciting prospect.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 20, 2017, 09:25:09 pm by selby »
Jonathan I hope you  are right,I have an opinion and hope I am wrong,I sincerely want Mason to have a great season as I do all the players who play for us.
   Now we have signed a dedicated left sided defender,and if we sign another midfielder I can only see him playing right back/wing back which would probably suit his game better being right footed.
  If that is so and Alcock gets back to full fitness(which I dont think he ever was last season)I think he will be more of a cover player on the bench than a regular starter.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 21, 2017, 05:22:04 am by Alan Southstand »
Middleton was ok in the youth side but has found it difficult to consistently make the step up to the first team. Early promise under DF saw him get an improved contract but since then, like Evina, has gone backwards. Can't complain about being listed, imo.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 21, 2017, 07:07:57 am by phil old leake »
I remember DF saying up until his injury Lund had been one of the best players in the team.  What's gone wrong. If it's lack of effort and development from him and Middleton doesn't some of that. Lay on the shoulders of the coaching staff

TinyPortal © 2005-2012