Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:57:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Spurs > wembley pitch size rejection  (Read 3159 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
The Spurs > wembley pitch size rejection
« on June 20, 2017, 10:20:00 am by not on facebook »
Spurs have asked for the pitch to be reduced in size at wembley .last season they played on the 2nd smallest pitch in the prem league ,but at wembley it will be the biggest in the prem league.

Their request has been turned down by the football league or whoever.

My question is when you played football as a kid for your school team you played on all different size and slopes of pitches .maybe I speak for myself here but I was never scared or worried by the size or lack of size of a pitch that I played on.

It did not make me play any better or any worse as I just played football.i would say that I did like to play on a wet pitch the more wetter the better .

Why can't prem league  players today adopt to whatever pitch they play on ffs ,as they are the professionals .

Even when I played for paddock pub I never heard one player blame a defeat on the pitch size or condition .

Today's players are tossers

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: The Spurs > wembley pitch size rejection
« Reply #1 on June 20, 2017, 10:22:11 am by GazLaz »
I remember playing on a pitch at Goldthorpe that had a massive slope, and one at Braithwell I think.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 20, 2017, 10:47:54 am by not on facebook »
Trying to think of the worst pitch conditions I have ever played on and that has to be out here.

Played one game after it had been pouring it down like a river all day.
The only grass that you could see on the pitch was down both the wings as the Middle of the pitch and near enough touching both Ds on penalty areas was a shallow pond.

The water had settled to boot deep and we tried to keep the ball down the flanks and won 4-0 .

But my god was it muddy by the end ,we played in all white kit shirts ,shorts and stockings and all our kits had turned greyish via the mud.

It's the only time I have ever seen the full team shower in full kit after the game to help clean the kit up .

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 20, 2017, 11:02:34 am by idler »
Billy Bremner reduced the size of the Belle Vue pitch to suit his Rovers team.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 20, 2017, 01:14:43 pm by drfchound »
So maybe those teams in the 80's were tossers too?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 20, 2017, 01:49:43 pm by idler »
Well it helped the tossers that took the long throws.😉

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 20, 2017, 02:50:34 pm by Drover »
I don't think it's the premier league players themselves,I think it will be the 1st team manager and coaches that will be wanting this,for tactics,style of play etc rather than any individual players self.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 20, 2017, 03:06:56 pm by PDX_Rover »
Billy Bremner reduced the size of the Belle Vue pitch to suit his Rovers team.

That was because Billy only had little legs.

Andy Thompson

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 20, 2017, 04:52:46 pm by Andy Thompson »
Spurs have asked for the pitch to be reduced in size at wembley .last season they played on the 2nd smallest pitch in the prem league ,but at wembley it will be the biggest in the prem league.

They have a pitch at 6700m2 - 100 x 67m due to size restrictions long ways. Pitches that host european games if they have the space to extend need to be at 105m long. Thats why most pitches are 105m long so that they are standard across the leagues.

Wembley is 105x 69m 7245m2 - so in total a difference of 545m2

Most pitches in premier and championship are 105 x 66/67 or 68

Obviously to some size matters

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 20, 2017, 05:31:18 pm by Donnywolf »
It has always seemed bizarre to me that each Pitch was not regulated and individual Clubs sizes seemed to be decided on a whim.

Most mainstream sports seem to have uniform sizes of Pitch / Court etc (Cricket a bit different in overall size but uniform Wicket to Wicket) - and Swimming has certain Temperatures standardised so why is Football so different ?

Was Belle Vue something like 119 x 72 ? You would think Clubs would have gone smaller and save the cost of the extra terracing / Stands so why didn't they I wonder

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 20, 2017, 06:13:08 pm by Chris Black come back »
Remember playing match vs Meadowhead School at their place and the pitch was literally covered in either oil or petrol. Presume some skaghead had nicked a car and crashed in on there recently. We all came off with that rainbow tinge to our kits. f**king miserable place.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 20, 2017, 06:14:42 pm by Draytonian III »
Cricket wickets are the same size but not the outfields, especially park/council pitches that are also used for football or rugby

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 20, 2017, 06:28:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Pitch size is an interesting point. In the past may be limited due to the size of the surroundings. In this day and age though, you'd think a standard size could and should be adopted. It makes sense for so many reasons.

Personally, I'd rather go above average size then smaller, as it's likely to make for a more open game.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 20, 2017, 06:31:13 pm by RedJ »
Depends on your style of play though. If you like to keep it compact, then you go for narrow pitch, potentially narrow and long if you want to play more directly, i.e. hoofball.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 20, 2017, 06:44:41 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I like the variety in pitch sizes, it makes for more interesting and less predictable competitions.

Spurs can set up and get experience on their bigger pitch giving them that extra home advantage - get a grip.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 20, 2017, 06:52:14 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Be interesting to apply the same flexibility to other sports. Tennis, badminton, Hockey, American Football?

It shouldn't be the preferred style dictating the size of the pitch, or visa-versa. When you think about it, allowing home teams to pick how long a game lasts would be just as bizarre. 

Given that proposal to reduce game time to 30 mins each half, standardising the pitch size would be less controversial!

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 20, 2017, 07:06:32 pm by aidanstu »

My question is when you played football as a kid for your school team you played on all different size and slopes of pitches .maybe I speak for myself here but I was never scared or worried by the size or lack of size of a pitch that I played on.

It did not make me play any better or any worse as I just played football.i would say that I did like to play on a wet pitch the more wetter the better .

Why can't prem league  players today adopt to whatever pitch they play on ffs ,as they are the professionals .

Even when I played for paddock pub I never heard one player blame a defeat on the pitch size or condition .

The alternate argument is that every other professional club in the premier league get to dictate the size of their pitch so why shouldn't spurs? It's hardly a hassle to cover the pre existing white lines is it? Especially for the amount of rent spurs are forking out to the FA.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 20, 2017, 07:21:35 pm by RoversAlias »
Be interesting to apply the same flexibility to other sports. Tennis, badminton, Hockey, American Football?

It shouldn't be the preferred style dictating the size of the pitch, or visa-versa. When you think about it, allowing home teams to pick how long a game lasts would be just as bizarre. 

Given that proposal to reduce game time to 30 mins each half, standardising the pitch size would be less controversial!

Can't agree with this, it's apples and oranges to compare the impact of a football pitch to any of those sports.

For one, American Football has to have standardised pitches because the distance travelled on each play is the fundamentally most important aspect of the game. Sports that aren't team events also cannot be held up as a comparison, such as tennis and badminton.

Spurs are perfectly within their rights to want to be able to alter the size of their pitch, especially because, as aidanstu says, every other team they play against gets to decide their own pitch size. The size of your pitch can impact many aspects of your playing style such as pressing, formation layout position-by-position and many physical factors.

Andy Thompson

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 21, 2017, 06:26:06 am by Andy Thompson »

The alternate argument is that every other professional club in the premier league get to dictate the size of their pitch so why shouldn't spurs? It's hardly a hassle to cover the pre existing white lines is it? Especially for the amount of rent spurs are forking out to the FA.

it would mean hassle with goal sockets, as they would need installing in the six yard box.

When Bolton were in europe they had registered their pitch as 100m with the FL and the minimum requirement if you have space for europe was 105m long so they had green lines on pitch for euro games and vice verse for league matches.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 23, 2017, 09:42:14 am by VivaRovers »
Fairly certain Wycombe narrowed the width of their pitch during last season to capitalise on hurling long throws into Adebayo Akinfenwa's gravitational pull.

It looked much narrower when Rovers went there in April, than it had when I was there in November for Belles' game against Reading.

Can you change a pitch size during the season, Andy?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 23, 2017, 09:44:36 am by GazLaz »
Fairly certain Wycombe narrowed the width of their pitch during last season to capitalise on hurling long throws into Adebayo Akinfenwa's gravitational pull.

It looked much narrower when Rovers went there in April, than it had when I was there in November for Belles' game against Reading.

I didn't think you could but I'm sure it can be different for the men and women's leagues.

Andy Thompson

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 25, 2017, 07:45:00 pm by Andy Thompson »

No you cant, once the pitch is registered with the FL it cant be changed...although the FL handbook does have wrong pitch sizes in all the time.

Each team has to register their sizes with their respective associations before the handbook goes to print, we had a situation once at the Keepmoat when the rugby wanted a narrower pitch for their games and the Rovers wanted the 66m wide pitch, this would have meant that corner flag sockets would have to be installed a metre in at each side and each line green out. An idea that SOD wasnt impressed with and after a discussion it was decided that the rugby would play at 66m as a width. The give away signs that a pitch has been altered width wise through a season is the wear down the wing where the linesman has been running.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 26, 2017, 01:46:43 pm by VivaRovers »
Thanks Andy, would suggest GazLaz' lateral thinking to be the correct interpretation then - cheers Gaz.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012