Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:51:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy Sharp gets better with age.  (Read 19625 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Billy Sharp gets better with age.
« Reply #90 on April 11, 2018, 03:18:03 pm by RoversAlias »
I dont think he does. His best days were with us. Might get 10 this season if he's lucky.

Hmmm how many is that now

9 goals with 4 games to go...

He's scored 13 goals in 33 games, 12 in the league?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on April 11, 2018, 04:26:46 pm by GazLaz »
I dont think he does. His best days were with us. Might get 10 this season if he's lucky.

12 in the league, 3 of which are penalties. That’s 9 goals!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on April 11, 2018, 04:29:42 pm by RedJ »
Ah so do you not add the times you put the ball in the net from the spot onto the score in a match then?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on April 11, 2018, 04:45:27 pm by drfchound »
In that case, Kane is nowhere near Salah for the golden boot.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on April 11, 2018, 05:05:13 pm by scawsby steve »

That's slightly better than 1 in 3, a fantastic season' s performance; I don't think it will happen, but I think he would be a great signing for us next season.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on April 11, 2018, 05:35:24 pm by Cantley Rover »

That's slightly better than 1 in 3, a fantastic season' s performance; I don't think it will happen, but I think he would be a great signing for us next season.

We would need the Blunts to get promoted for there to be any chance of that happening.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on April 11, 2018, 06:12:02 pm by drfchound »

SS, don’t start one off again mate.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on April 11, 2018, 06:16:34 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I"d like to think we were in prime position to secure Billy's services if the circumstances are right beginning with DF evaluating the possibility.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on April 11, 2018, 08:01:27 pm by RoversAlias »

12 in the league, 3 of which are penalties. That’s 9 goals!

You're not getting out of this on a technicality!  :P

I might have to go through and take off all the penalties in the Prem to see if it puts Everton in the top 6, although even then I doubt it...

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on April 11, 2018, 08:16:14 pm by balbyrover »
Not this again... Billy’s a great player but do we really need to be linked with him every transfer window.

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on April 11, 2018, 08:19:24 pm by besty »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on April 11, 2018, 09:55:45 pm by GazLaz »
Ah so do you not add the times you put the ball in the net from the spot onto the score in a match then?

It’s no indication of the ability of a striker though so when judging one they only distort the facts. As we ( I ) was judging Sharp it’s not worth including them.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on April 11, 2018, 09:58:09 pm by RoversAlias »
It's not worth including them because it's the difference between you being right and wrong.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on April 11, 2018, 11:04:04 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Not this again... Billy’s a great player but do we really need to be linked with him every transfer window.

i'd prefer Danny Graham any day must be nearly 2 years since i and some others suggested him but signing a new contract at the Bank of Blackburn

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on April 12, 2018, 03:33:45 pm by RedJ »

It’s no indication of the ability of a striker though so when judging one they only distort the facts. As we ( I ) was judging Sharp it’s not worth including them.

So you don't need any ability to put the ball into the goal. That's why every single player is exactly as good at taking penalties as every other player then, I take it? or is that not the case?...

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on April 12, 2018, 03:46:05 pm by DaveDRFC »
I never understand why some people seem to disregard penalties as proper goals. This happened a lot on here last season when Marquis and Akinde were battling it out for top scorer in League 2. Surely the number we missed last season (and this to a lesser extent) show that it's not a given that a penalty means a goal? A goal is a goal in my book, no matter how it's scored!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on April 12, 2018, 03:56:17 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The greatest Doncaster Rovers goal of all time? 28 pass sequence under manager Paul Dickov.....https://youtu.be/Pji7zllUgk0

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on April 12, 2018, 03:59:30 pm by GazLaz »

So you don't need any ability to put the ball into the goal. That's why every single player is exactly as good at taking penalties as every other player then, I take it? or is that not the case?...

So if a goalkeeper scores 10 penalties a season does that make him a good striker? Just completely irrelevant when judging a strikers ability. Open play goals on the other hand are a much better barometer.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on April 12, 2018, 04:01:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The quality of that team! Makes you wonder whether to laugh or cry.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on April 12, 2018, 04:20:14 pm by RoversAlias »
And how ludicrously rare is it to have a regular penalty taker that's a goalkeeper? I can't think of one example in this country.

Face it, you've been proven wrong in your assertion that Sharp wouldn't score many goals this season and are trying to find a loophole to get out of it, which is silly. Just admit you got it wrong, it's no shame.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on April 12, 2018, 04:21:04 pm by drfchound »
The greatest Doncaster Rovers goal of all time? 28 pass sequence under manager Paul Dickov.....https://youtu.be/Pji7zllUgk0

Had to laugh at one of the comments under the video.
Says it wasn’t a good goal and the final ball to Sharp was just a hopeful punt forward.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on April 12, 2018, 04:22:26 pm by drfchound »
Pens still have to be put away, they are not guaranteed goals.
When we get a pen for the Rovers is there one amongst us who feels totally confident we will score them all.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on April 12, 2018, 04:50:47 pm by RedJ »

So if a goalkeeper scores 10 penalties a season does that make him a good striker? Just completely irrelevant when judging a strikers ability. Open play goals on the other hand are a much better barometer.

Open play goals are a better barometer, yes, but to totally discount them just makes you look more of a pillock than accepting that you're wrong.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on April 12, 2018, 04:59:24 pm by GazLaz »
It was my quote so I can set my barometer up how I want! Put it another way, if he had scored 10 penalties but no goals from open play in 30 odd games it wouldn’t be a good season for him would it. My point was to emphasise that he’s not as good as he was anyway and he can’t even get a game now so that says it all.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on April 12, 2018, 05:49:36 pm by RedJ »
He'd still have scored 10 goals, which was what you said he wouldn't achieve, not "he won't score 10 from open play but I'm going to ignore penalties in case it makes me wrong".

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on April 12, 2018, 06:34:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

It was alright, but you have to take the quality of the opposition into account, so that downgrades it.

In my opinion, we'll do well to ever beat Tommy Gaynor's goal against Blackpool in 1987. George Weah practiced for years before he managed to equal that one.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on April 13, 2018, 02:05:05 pm by ravenrover »
 Forget Marquis May and Rowe Who would have thought that Niall Mason would be our most efficient striker is it 3 shots on target 3 goals? Penalties heh!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on April 13, 2018, 03:20:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
You wonder about the merits of a striker who shys away from taking penalties. It should be their bread and butter. You want your striker to be confident and step up.

As there are so many exceptions (Marquis included) you shouldn't discount penalties from a strikers haul as clearly they're not that easy.

I don't think Billy has ever shirked the responsibility and his convertion rate must be very good.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:36:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on April 13, 2018, 04:43:56 pm by Bentley Bullet »
You wonder about the merits of a striker who shys away from taking penalties. It should be their bread and butter. You want your striker to be confident and step up.

As there are so many exceptions (Marquis included) you shouldn't discount penalties from a strikers haul as clearly they're not that easy.

I don't think Billy has ever shirked the responsibility and his conversation rate must be very good.

Exactly! If you saw an outfield player swapping positions with a goalkeeper for a penalty you would question the keeper's capability.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:49:11 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on April 13, 2018, 07:48:13 pm by Chris Black come back »
It was my quote so I can set my barometer up how I want! Put it another way, if he had scored 10 penalties but no goals from open play in 30 odd games it wouldn’t be a good season for him would it. My point was to emphasise that he’s not as good as he was anyway and he can’t even get a game now so that says it all.

I’d let this one go Gaz. You are on better ground with your Everton prediction.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012