Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:46:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sky ...Highlights  (Read 5880 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Sky ...Highlights
« Reply #30 on August 13, 2017, 02:50:47 pm by Alan Southstand »
After Alfie came on, it was a different ball game, as he was a constant thorn in the side to the Blackburn defenders. The mere threat of him breathing down their necks caused panic a few times, not just the goal he scored. Mandeville, on the other hand, wasn't half the threat while he was on. I think young Alfie has turned a mental corner, as it were. He has the shirt now, for me, and the other two have got to work hard to get it back.

Well done Alfie.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 13, 2017, 03:20:27 pm by Campsall rover »
It was obvious that Mandeville wasn't fit. That wasn't the Mandeville we know, not by a long way.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 13, 2017, 10:06:39 pm by Alan Southstand »
The manager thought he was, Campsall. Otherwise, why select him? It's a mystery how he can appear to be struggling during a game and I wonder if it's just a case of his body adjusting to becoming a man (from a boy).

It took him quite a while to get into his stride last season, if you remember. Early days yet and he'll come good, I'm sure, but right now, Alfie is making it difficult for the others and fair play to him for that.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 13, 2017, 10:47:14 pm by selby »
Nobody plays well every game,in preseason games Mandeville looked different class,and also scored the majority of the goals.
   I agree somewhat with Campsall,not only did he look lethargic,but seamed to look hot and not with the pace of the game.
   Alfie has stepped up to the plate,and we will need all our strikers to play well this season.Also the manager has to consider the opposition when picking the team and we need different types of players to unlock defences.Blackpool will not be as  open as the last two games have been,they will play a far more defensive game.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 14, 2017, 08:33:53 am by balbyrover »
Do they not realise that the past or how big the club is has no bearing on how successful it is...
I wonder how they feel about the likes of Burton playing in a higher division than them?

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 14, 2017, 08:48:23 am by WheatleyRover »
I know, it proper annoys me when you hear people say this club should be in this division, no! They are where they are and where they deserve to be.
Just because a club has played at a certain level for so long, or has a bigger fanbase, bigger ground etc has nothing to do with it, you are where you deserve and should be.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 14, 2017, 02:32:45 pm by drfchound »
I just had another look through the highlights.
In the build up to our second goal, just before the ball breaks to Marquis, the challenge by the Blackburn defender on Copps looks to be a bit dodgy.
Maybe even reckless.
He goes in with two sets of studs showing.
I have seen players sent off for less.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 14, 2017, 03:12:13 pm by Mike_F »
Yeah I saw that too, hound. We've both watched the highlights numerous times though. The officials get one look at it in real time from ground level so it went un-noticed. You could argue for retrospective punishment but that could only benefit the next few opponents, potentially at our expense.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 14, 2017, 03:19:51 pm by Nudga »
I didn't think it was a penalty, I thought it was a great tackle as it looked to me he'd managed to hook his foot around the ball and copps' momentum made him go over.
I'm not complaining though and I still screamed for a penalty.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 14, 2017, 03:20:39 pm by drfchound »
MIKE,   mmmm, i was thinking along the lines of that the ref may have noticed but played advantage as we had broken clear.
That resulted in the penalty so by the time he had finished that episode he may well have forgotten about the challenge on the halfway line.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 14, 2017, 03:21:53 pm by drfchound »
I didn't think it was a penalty, I thought it was a great tackle as it looked to me he'd managed to hook his foot around the ball and copps' momentum made him go over.
I'm not complaining though and I still screamed for a penalty.

Maybe it wasnt but it makes up for some we should have had but didnt get.

oliver

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 14, 2017, 06:57:28 pm by oliver »
It was a tackle from behind anywhere on the pitch it is a foul , therefore definite penalty.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 14, 2017, 07:11:36 pm by Nudga »
It was a tackle from behind anywhere on the pitch it is a foul , therefore definite penalty.

Is it a foul if the defender hooks the ball first?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 14, 2017, 07:21:14 pm by RedJ »
Just because you've got the ball doesn't mean you can't also commit a foul.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on August 14, 2017, 07:25:44 pm by Nudga »
I know but that's not what I asked. Like I said earlier, my take on it was that it was a good tackle, he won the ball from behind by hooking his foot around it. Copps went over with the forward momentum. I may be wrong but that's how I saw it and after seeing the reply from a different angle I haven't changed my mind.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 14, 2017, 08:27:56 pm by GazLaz »
It was never a penalty seeing it live.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on August 14, 2017, 08:32:10 pm by StocktonRover »
Well I watched it live and it was definitely a penalty. The ref even blew his whistle and confirmed it 😏

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 15, 2017, 11:00:22 am by drfchound »
Well I watched it live and it was definitely a penalty. The ref even blew his whistle and confirmed it 😏

That comment reminds me of when i was a young player.
I scored a goal after being put through one on one with the keeper.
One of the opposition defenders complained that i had been offside and that it wasn't a goal.
One of our older players told him that "It was mate, look in the Green Un later."

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 15, 2017, 11:52:04 am by idler »
I once got chopped down in the penalty area and as I was lying there shouted penalty.
The ref replied you could have got up.
I could but not before it was cleared.
Good old Donny Sunday League.☹️

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on August 15, 2017, 12:11:10 pm by IDM »

That comment reminds me of when i was a young player.
I scored a goal after being put through one on one with the keeper.
One of the opposition defenders complained that i had been offside and that it wasn't a goal.
One of our older players told him that "It was mate, look in the Green Un later."

Off at a tangent I had a similar experience umpiring a cricket match about 20 years ago.  I gave one team 4 or 5 LBW decisions and the other none - when their captain asked why, I just told him the others were bowling straighter.

The point is, that until we get video ref technology, or unless the officials change a decision immediately, once a decision is made that's it.

The penalty given against us away at Watford a few seasons ago springs to mind.  It was a penalty because the ref gave it - shouldn't have been as it was outside the box, but there's nowt we could do about that!

We have had plenty of "clear" penalty shouts not given, so if this was a soft one, I'll take it!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012