Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:21:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coppinger  (Read 6757 times)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
Coppinger
« on August 12, 2017, 10:01:47 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Earlier this week, someone suggested on here that maybe we should start without Coppinger today. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever (is that enough evers???) should se start without him if he is fit and can last for 70 or 80 minutes.
In a great team performance, especially the second half, he was absolutely awesome today. Every single thing we did went through him. His control, movement off the ball, dribbling, crossing, passing, even penalty taking was a class above. He completely ran the show.

God knows what we will ever do when he finally hangs up his boots. At our level I think he is totally irreplaceable

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Coppinger
« Reply #1 on August 12, 2017, 10:11:43 pm by dknward2 »
Was thinking when we took him off that he lasted well was it coincidental that we conceded after he went off. Either way hopefully Fergie is preparing someone to step in those boots with it be Rowe or Issam or some undiscovered young 17 year old playing in the 9th tier with Fergie it could be anyone

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 12, 2017, 11:14:03 pm by wing commander »
It was me who said that...My reasoning on it was that Copps has his weaker games against the more physical midfielders and Blackburn looked just that on paper...but we play on grass and they were a lot more open and gave more space than i expected...I still don't agree with playing him every game though..He wouldn't last the distance...

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 12, 2017, 11:43:59 pm by Bessie Red »
Was thinking when we took him off that he lasted well was it coincidental that we conceded after he went off. Either way hopefully Fergie is preparing someone to step in those boots with it be Rowe or Issam or some undiscovered young 17 year old playing in the 9th tier with Fergie it could be anyone

It could be Alfie Beestin. The way he plays it looks as though Copps has been giving him some coaching.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 13, 2017, 01:28:43 pm by colincramb »
I've got a feeling this will be his last season folks. Enjoy watching him whilst you can.

Juddy

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 13, 2017, 01:48:18 pm by Juddy »
Ward who brought him down for the penalty,am I right in thinking that was the lad who scored the spectacular overhead kick goal at Hillsbrough for us a few years ago ?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 13, 2017, 01:54:31 pm by Filo »
Ward who brought him down for the penalty,am I right in thinking that was the lad who scored the spectacular overhead kick goal at Hillsbrough for us a few years ago ?

Mulgrew gave the pen away, but yes, its the same Ward

Juddy

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 13, 2017, 02:08:05 pm by Juddy »
Cheers FILO thought it was

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 13, 2017, 03:25:09 pm by RedJ »
I've got a feeling this will be his last season folks. Enjoy watching him whilst you can.

He said he wants to carry on for as long as his body will allow him. Maybe not the last, I don't think, but we're nearing the end, for sure.

There'll never be another like him.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 13, 2017, 03:30:01 pm by johnny rovers »
I could see him going on until he's 40😀

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 13, 2017, 03:32:30 pm by balbyrover »
You kind of run out of things to say. I feel privileged to have seen him pull on the Rovers shirt.

It's a shame that he will probably never get a crack at the top flight,he deserves it.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 13, 2017, 03:35:24 pm by Chris Black come back »
While he has lost a half yard of pace, his fitness is still very good and barely ever gets injured. He is as influential now in League One as he was in League Two last season. What a guy.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 13, 2017, 03:55:43 pm by RedJ »
Legs have gone, though.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 13, 2017, 04:41:12 pm by jonnydog »
Legend!!  :scarf:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 13, 2017, 06:04:46 pm by Filo »
You kind of run out of things to say. I feel privileged to have seen him pull on the Rovers shirt.

It's a shame that he will probably never get a crack at the top flight,he deserves it.

He played in the top flight once, as a sub

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 13, 2017, 06:54:56 pm by roversdude »
Thing is he's never had pace just a talent where the ball sticks to his boot

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 13, 2017, 09:28:54 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Radio Lancashire pundit on way home was nothing but praise. The experienced Coppinger ran and controllled the midfield today. Probably try and sign him now or something stupid

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 13, 2017, 09:38:28 pm by drfchound »
Legend!!  :scarf:

That picture and caption made me laugh out loud.
Very funny.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 13, 2017, 09:46:51 pm by drfchound »
Copps seems to me to have become a better player since he went past thirty.
Total class.
I am amazed that we have had him with us all these years.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 13, 2017, 09:56:29 pm by chrisd_123 »
Players like Copps who are true professionals seem to always have the longevity as they get older they understand their strengths and limitations.

Look at Giggs at United. Past 40 and was still running their midfield at times! Because he knew his pace had gone and didn't try to keep hold of what he once was. He adapted.

Copps has continually adapted his game to his own body and strengths which has gone hand in hand with the team's progression.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 13, 2017, 10:06:38 pm by Paul Simpson »
He's awesome!! Long live copps!!! 😀

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 14, 2017, 11:25:58 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Well, I've just seen the ratings in the Free Press and Coppinger was our worst rated player with 6 out of 10 (along with Mandeville) said he had a quiet game and was less effective than usual (or words to that effect)

Was anyone from the Free Press actually there?
Shows how little I know about football then doesn't it? 😄😄

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 14, 2017, 11:31:35 pm by Lifelong supporter »
To be honest I didn't think he was at his best either.
Kept getting caught in possession trying to do too much.
Whiteman was by far better.
And I say that as one of Copps' biggest fans.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 15, 2017, 12:04:49 am by Nudga »
To be honest I didn't think he was at his best either.
Kept getting caught in possession trying to do too much.
Whiteman was by far better.
And I say that as one of Copps' biggest fans.

I would suggest that he was drawing a lot of fouls through out the game.  Blackburn had done a bit of homework on him but clearly not enough. Copps was at least an 8, everything went through him and he made himself available all over the pitch.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 15, 2017, 12:16:43 am by RoversAlias »
Coppinger was a constant part of our forays forward, he made and scored the penalty and actually, he set May's goal up too with the ball forward that Raya headed to Alfie to finish. Does make you wonder what people look for when judging a performance.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 15, 2017, 10:10:49 am by swintonrover »
Because he's so good, the bar is naturally set higher for Copps so when he has a quiet game, he's seen as having had a bad game, when for anyone else it would be seen as average.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 15, 2017, 10:13:18 am by drfchound »
The local Blackburn newspaper suggested that Copps was the stand out player in the game, consistent with his touch and vision.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 15, 2017, 06:16:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Whist we hope Copps plays as often as possible because of his obvious inflence in games, we also need to be looking at some form of succession planing, so that we don't fall apart in his absence, or he isn't able to affect a game as much.

It's fairly likely, DF will opt to leave him on the bench v Hull. It looks like we've got a more dynamic midfield this season that can execute the game plan without over reliance on Copps.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 15, 2017, 07:26:59 pm by roversdude »
Anyone remember dingles away a few seasons ago and how they tried kicking him off pitch

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 15, 2017, 07:42:08 pm by IDM »
Anyone remember dingles away a few seasons ago and how they tried kicking him off pitch

A few?  wasn't that 2005, 2 of theirs got sent off and Mulligan scored a screamer at the away end?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012