Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:05:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: It will be a big test on Saturday  (Read 3191 times)

selby

• VSC Member
It will be a big test on Saturday
« on August 14, 2017, 07:36:14 pm by selby »
  We have just played very well against two teams away from the Keapmoat that probably thought,and expected to win the games.
  Both played attacking football and committed men forward,making for two open games.Not many teams have beaten us over the last few seasons in those type of games,but when teams dont come out and fill the midfield,man mark and cut the space down for Copps and Roe we struggle.
  I do not expect Blackpool to be very expansive against us,but put men behind the ball and do the niggley stuff in midfield,and they always seem to have a goalkeeper who has his game of the season against us.
  I think we are a better team than them,will win the game, but it may prove to be harder than the last two games and not as good a game to watch.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Brian Young

• Forum Member
Re: It will be a big test on Saturday
« Reply #1 on August 14, 2017, 08:57:19 pm by Brian Young »
They've got Potts so he won't be making things difficult.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 14, 2017, 09:08:12 pm by not on facebook »
Also if you belive in not walking under ladders ,black witches cats,Friday 13th ,any that writes left handed is evil ( ask any nun) > blackpool are DRFCs bogey team .

Beat us 3 times last term twice at KMS.

Maybe rovers should play to block them out and take a point .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 14, 2017, 09:15:23 pm by Alan Southstand »
There will not be many teams that come to the Keepmoat and try to take us on at football. So, therefore, I believe all our home games, this season, will be much tougher (as the Gillingham game showed).

Nobody rolls over in this division, you have to earn your points.

We have to find a way round the problems set and I do think we have more weapons in our armoury than we had last season. We relied heavily on JM last season but this time we have goals throughout the side and by different methods.

We are long overdue a good result against Blackpool, let's hope it's this Saturday.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 14, 2017, 10:18:14 pm by Dutch Uncle »
There will not be many teams that come to the Keepmoat and try to take us on at football. So, therefore, I believe all our home games, this season, will be much tougher (as the Gillingham game showed).

We have to find a way round the problems set and I do think we have more weapons in our armoury than we had last season. We relied heavily on JM last season but this time we have goals throughout the side and by different methods.

We are long overdue a good result against Blackpool, let's hope it's this Saturday.

While I completely agree with with almost everything  you say Alan, your above statement about JM belies the fact that last season we had five players scoring double figures for the first time since 1946-47. Take away JM's 26 and we still scored 59 league goals last season, which is nearly as many as when we last won League 1 in 2012-13 (62 scored)

I do also agree we seem to have even more potential for goals this season in Kongolo, Whiteman, and Kiwomya hopefully.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:25:16 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 14, 2017, 11:46:54 pm by Draytonian III »
Brad Potts joined Billy Casper's local side on August 3rd ,don't think he's played yet, must be injured or not having enough coal in his bath ,or even waiting for the burnt out cortina to be added to his front garden

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 15, 2017, 01:57:52 am by dknward2 »
Thing is we now seem to have some players who aren't afraid to shoot. Could go one way or the other but still think we will win

DRFCMach2man

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 15, 2017, 07:02:01 am by DRFCMach2man »
Fully expect Blackpool to sit deep and adopt long ball breakaway football. We will find it tough but we are long overdue a result against these guys. It would be nice to think they will come and play open attacking football but I doubt that will be the case. So come on you reds play your football keep patient and with a decent ref and a fair share of luck the 3 points should be ours. :rtid:

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 15, 2017, 07:18:41 am by balbyrover »
I think we can beat anybody in this division on our day.  I'd be dissspointed with a draw

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 15, 2017, 08:39:59 am by bedale rover »
Hasn't Potts signed for the dingles?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 15, 2017, 09:35:31 am by drfchound »

While I completely agree with with almost everything  you say Alan, your above statement about JM belies the fact that last season we had five players scoring double figures for the first time since 1946-47. Take away JM's 26 and we still scored 59 league goals last season, which is nearly as many as when we last won League 1 in 2012-13 (62 scored)

I do also agree we seem to have even more potential for goals this season in Kongolo, Whiteman, and Kiwomya hopefully.

With the amount of pens we will get i wonder whether Copps will get to double figures for the first time in his career, as long as he stays on them of course.
The type of players we have, good close control in tight areas,  will always give us a chance of winning pens.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 15, 2017, 09:52:55 am by selby »
Potts played against Ipswich for Barnsley last Saturday.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 15, 2017, 10:06:45 am by selby »
I would be tempted to stick with Mandeville (the technically better player) against Blackpool on Saturday if he is fit,if they do sit deeper Alfie will not find it as easy to push up on the last defender as he has done in the last two games.
   Mandeville may be the better option in tighter penalty areas,and does not need as many touches to be in control of the ball, and is more instinctive about players around him.
   This is not a go at Alfie(who has been brilliant in the last few games)by the way,just my view on what maybe the situation this Saturday,and I would not be surprised,or disappointed if Alfie got the nod.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 15, 2017, 12:37:15 pm by Upton Rover »
No start for Mandy for me. Got to give May a start. Mandeville needs to get his fitness right

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 15, 2017, 12:41:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'd go with Alfie, he's like a Jack Russell on heat at the moment! He can't really do much more to earn the shirt.

I'm sure DF is the best judge though and we're in a good position at the mo selection wise.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 15, 2017, 12:52:26 pm by glosterred »
With Blackpool on Saturday and Dull on Tuesday it's a big 4 days. We will get a better idea of how the season is going to pan out after those two games.

COYR

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 15, 2017, 01:05:17 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
With Blackpool on Saturday and Dull on Tuesday it's a big 4 days. We will get a better idea of how the season is going to pan out after those two games.

COYR

You're spot on - I'm trying desperately hard not to get too carried away yet, though the early signs look good for the season. However, the Rovers have bitten me on the arse many, many times over the years so I'm remaining sensible. The next couple of weeks will give us a guide to how we're going to get on this season

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 15, 2017, 01:14:27 pm by selby »
Herbert,I would love to win both games,but of the two I would rather win the league game.
  Blackpool have been a thorn in our side at the K.M. and it is time to lay the bogey.
   Win both, and draw one of the really big teams in the next round and the town will be bouncing.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 15, 2017, 01:27:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
If May is not selected on Saturday, then it's a right kick in the gonads for him. 2 goals in 2 games and work rate to match the best striker in the football league, what else does he need to do?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 15, 2017, 01:39:40 pm by GazLaz »
If May is not selected on Saturday, then it's a right kick in the gonads for him. 2 goals in 2 games and work rate to match the best striker in the football league, what else does he need to do?

Alfie May is like a dog with two dicks anyway. Loving life at the minute. Won't change if he starts or not.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 15, 2017, 03:33:33 pm by StocktonRover »
I can't help but think Alfie makes a bigger impact coming on as a sub. He is full of running and like a terrier against players who have less energy left by that time.

Whilst I enjoy his energy and work rate, I don't think it is as effective against fresh opposition at this stage of his career.

As he continues to develop and manage his game better he will in my mind become a starting regular in good time.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 15, 2017, 03:56:20 pm by bobjimwilly »
we have only won 2 in the last 10 years (13 matches) v Blackpool. They are definitely a bogey team so anything could happen Saturday.... but we will probably lose :(

TinyPortal © 2005-2012