Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:20:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The penalty at Blackburn  (Read 2271 times)

selby

• VSC Member
The penalty at Blackburn
« on August 15, 2017, 07:33:57 pm by selby »
How did the Blackburn player get away with delaying the penalty by standing over Copps. and talking to him for so long.
  Well done Copps for not letting it disrupt his concentration,and putting the penalty away,it loooked as if he just blanked the player and never took his eye off the ball after putting it on the spot.
  It was a lesson to any youngster watching of how to stay calm when everyone around is disrupt your thoughts.
  The referee had a good game but could have handled that delay better as it was nothing less than gamesmanship.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Brian Young

• Forum Member
Re: The penalty at Blackburn
« Reply #1 on August 15, 2017, 08:05:58 pm by Brian Young »
He was probably giving him advice by telling to just put down the centre as his keeper would dive out of the way. Advice like that .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 15, 2017, 08:29:49 pm by drfchound »
Not having been there or seen the highlights I can only say that it sounds like ungentlemanly conduct by the Blackburn player and I seem to think that the ref would have been in order booking him.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 15, 2017, 09:16:52 pm by drfc1951 »
He was probably hoping he would react, like at Plymouth

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 16, 2017, 06:33:41 am by balbyrover »
Its just a ploy to stall him,put him under pressure etc etc.
Sullivan was a master at it when he played for us!

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 16, 2017, 07:30:06 am by 1879Rovers »
I loved the fact their player chased Alfie May wanting the ball back like a child in the playground. Always wondered why teams do this because they cannot kick off any quicker because they have to wait for the opposition players to return to their own half.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 16, 2017, 08:08:39 am by GazLaz »
I loved the fact their player chased Alfie May wanting the ball back like a child in the playground. Always wondered why teams do this because they cannot kick off any quicker because they have to wait for the opposition players to return to their own half.

It's more a case of showing a statement of intent rather than saving 10 seconds.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 16, 2017, 11:20:16 am by rich1471 »
After seeing the highlights I'm shocked it was given looked a very good tackle to me , I spoke to me dad who went and even he said it was a lucky penalty to get

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 16, 2017, 11:40:26 am by Alan Southstand »
Tackles from behind are fouls, therefore penalty when inside the box.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 16, 2017, 12:45:14 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
In old money, it's a dubious penalty. With new guidelines, it's a tackle from behind and coming from the wrong side, taking man first before the ball.

Had the defender been on the other side and taken the ball cleanly with his right foot, there would be a case for it being a fair tackle.

Anyway, there will be others that go the other way.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 16, 2017, 01:03:14 pm by phil old leake »
Another question was why was it not a red card.  He may not have been straight on goal but it would have been a definite goal scoring opportunity

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 16, 2017, 01:22:46 pm by IDM »
The rules have changed.  Basically if a foul in the penalty area is an attempt to play the ball - ie a trip from a mistimed tackle which denies an obvious goal scoring opportunity, the punishment is a yellow card.  If it is a push, shirt holding etc or similar that isn't an attempt to play the ball, then it is a red card.

DOGSO outside the box is still a red card.  Had Copps been tripped outside the box a free kick and a sending off would be correct.

The DOGSO rules do not explicitly refer to "last man"..

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 17, 2017, 07:06:53 am by balbyrover »
It was definetly a foul. You just cannot tackle from behind.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012