Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:34:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Southend game  (Read 4612 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Southend game
« Reply #30 on October 07, 2017, 08:56:31 pm by drfchound »
We played much better against Shrewsbury and lost and for what it is worth, I don't think we played particularly well today apart from that ten minute spell.
At 4-1 we resorted to lumping the long ball up front for a willing Alfie to chase.
Under instruction I assume and painful to watch but under the circumstances I didn't really mind.
I said on the way to the game that I would rather we played not as well but got the win.
Ben deserved his MoM award for the three goals but for me it could easily have been Wright or Butler who were immense.
Nice to win.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 08, 2017, 03:32:27 pm by selby »
Hound,I agree that  we have played better in some games this season without getting the results we deserved.
   As I posted yesterday I thought we were poor in the first half,and gave their midfield too much room,the main difference yesterday was that we took our chances in front of goal.
  For all Alfies effort and running,he has to take a touch in the penalty area,and allows defenders that yard to close him down,it cost him two good chances of getting a shot away yesterday in the first half,and Marquise did the same on the edge of the area when the early shot would have been better.
  To Fergies credit he shoved men into that midfield,and we looked more solid in the second half,and as I said we took our chances.
   We were also more physical in our challenges yesterday that was good to see,Wright was a great example of a young player coming to terms with the more physical side of the game,something I want Mason, Toffolo,and  Whiteman to bring into their game,we have been something of a soft touch.
   All in all we have had a great week with two wins, and players looking as if they are coming into some form,and more importantly looking as if they now know what  they should be doing in certain situations.
  What I do know it is a far better feeling on a Sunday after a good win. 

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 09, 2017, 09:44:50 am by selby »
  The Southend team started the game well and looked an experienced team capable of being more than capable at this level,although I have never rated Anton Ferdinand, their mid field looked strong for this division.
  They were the architects of their own downfall when getting involved with the referee,and questioning every decision that went against them.If ever there was an example of concentration being distracted by other issues this game was a good example.
  On more than one occasion players ran to the referee,or the linesman and were still out of position when we had taken the free kick,and their management team on the sideline were no better,forever on the edge of their technical area having a go at the fourth official,or the referee.
  To carry on after the game shows how much they had got worked up,and the managers comments at the end confirmed it.
  Lets hope we never sink to their level.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 09, 2017, 11:12:29 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Ferdinand was poor. May ran him ragged.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012