Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:59:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Great result. Time to kick on.  (Read 4704 times)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Great result. Time to kick on.
« on October 07, 2017, 05:04:30 pm by MrFrost »
Hopefully this can be the start of a run of consistent results

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Great result. Time to kick on.
« Reply #1 on October 07, 2017, 05:08:54 pm by PDX_Rover »
Much needed.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 07, 2017, 05:28:06 pm by graingrover »
hope so because it willstop all the negative posts and pathetic criticisms of the club

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 07, 2017, 05:32:46 pm by MrFrost »
hope so because it willstop all the negative posts and pathetic criticisms of the club

Oh give up for Christ's sake.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 07, 2017, 05:45:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Well battled. We've played better but we were more clinical today.  By god they were a cynical, nasty side though.

Thought the front men all did well and set the tempo second half. We looked nervous but when confident much better.

Criticised whiteman as he wasn't in the game first half. Second half he was great. So he's got it in him. Now do it more.

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 07, 2017, 05:50:00 pm by stuey »

I also hope so, but I hope so because I support DRFC and want them to do well, rather than what a few fans think of each other. Bit that's just me. RTID

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 07, 2017, 05:53:54 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Well battled. We've played better but we were more clinical today.  By god they were a cynical, nasty side though.

Thought the front men all did well and set the tempo second half. We looked nervous but when confident much better.

Criticised whiteman as he wasn't in the game first half. Second half he was great. So he's got it in him. Now do it more.
He played further forward which for me is his best position. He’s wasted as a defensive midfielder

DRFCMach2man

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 07, 2017, 06:01:22 pm by DRFCMach2man »
Thought technically we were better against Shrewsbury but today we got the three points and much needed they were. Hopefully we can kick on now with a result at Charlton and then beat Portsmouth at home under the lights. Whiteman today - excellent second half and deserved hat trick. Southend must feel we have a jinx over them as Copps is also remembered for his hat trick against them. All round gutsy performance and the back four were pretty solid all afternoon - if not for BW's Hat trick I personally thought Joe Wright was my mom - just edging AB. Copps had another influential game and always makes a difference.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 07, 2017, 06:11:22 pm by pib »
Much better.

Result suggests our best performance of the season which it wasn’t, but we were clinical which is most of the battle.

I’ve been critical of us for messing about too much in the final third, so great to hear Whiteman say on the radio that the manager has been insisting we “shoot more”. Just shows you that when chance your arm, sometimes they go in!

Goal was a poor one to concede but overall the defence and Lawlor were okay against some good forwards.  Was impressed with Toffolo today to say he’s been panned for his performances so far.

More of the same now please. If we can play like that more often and show that kind of threat going forward, we should be OK.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 07, 2017, 06:27:46 pm by Chris Black come back »
Forget the four goals. Best element of today by far is that the team showed they could come back from going a goal behind. Getting some backbone in and particularly when on a poor league run, is exactly what is needed.

We are back up to point a game now. 12 games and 12 points. We need to get beyond this and hopefully this newly found backbone will help enable this.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 07, 2017, 06:37:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, I thought Toffolo was good today. Mason also did well on the opposite side and was prepared to put his body on the line with an important block.

Wright and Butler came out very well after being put under the cosh with countless crosses and free kicks coming in to the box.

Rowe seems to play more centrally and as we know, he causes problems in an around the box. Stiil a couple of sloppy passes from him though.

Houghton, solid without being at his best yet, but allows Whiteman to get further forward. Great composure with his first and third and a super strike with his second.

May and Marquis worked hard and I think there's still better to come from them.

Copps held things together very well and a couple of great free kicks.

I thought the first half was ok but the second half early blitz was a joy and much needed.

Let's kick on now!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 07, 2017, 06:39:53 pm by graingrover »
It was remarkable how passes started to find their man again after the second goal as the stress drained .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 07, 2017, 10:01:38 pm by drfchound »
After we took the lead the confidence level went sky high.
It is only one game but it shows we can win without playing too well.
Hopefully we can put together a decent run of results now.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 08, 2017, 09:37:11 am by DearneValleyRover »
I enjoyed seeing Marquis go over to the lads after Whiteman’s first telling all the lads to switch on and not concede straight from the kickoff

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 08, 2017, 10:14:25 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Another good sign was Toffolo wanting to get down the line. Often looking to run into the space without hesitation. Once we get both full backs confident enough to make the runs, and to be passed the ball early, we'll create more chances.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 08, 2017, 11:05:02 am by Jonathan »
I don't think there was a great deal of difference between that performance and plenty of others that we haven't come away with a result in. Just that a few shots flew in yesterday.

The fact is we've come up a level and it's not as easy. We'll get good, bad and indifferent results over the course of the season and, unsurprisingly, that's been the case in the opening 12 games.

The way some of our fans react is frankly embarrassing at times. Seriously we'd have a new manager every 3-4 weeks if we listened to some. What I hope is that we take some confidence from yesterday's result and look to achieve a bit more consistency, but it doesn't need radical change at all. The chances are we'll win, lose and draw more games over the coming months and I think it'd be really refreshing if people didn't call for a change of manager every time we lost. Some performances have certainly been disappointing, but equally there've been some decent displays that haven't been rewarded. That's just football.

Yesterday the people sat behind me in the West Stand were berating Marquis from minute 3. It continued all throughout the game. They'd disappeared to the concourse when he scored and then returned to their seats after we'd gone 2-1 up and carried on - every touch. There was one moment in the game where he'd picked up the ball just outside our box, turned and played a perfect pass over the top for May to run in behind. When May lost the ball they berated Marquis for not helping, totally ignorant of the fact that he'd just played the pass from 50 yards away and was catching up! I really really do not get why some people want to moan at everything, it doesn't help one bit. If Marquis, who also needs time to get used to a higher level, carries on scoring at this rate he'll be knocking on the door of 20 league goals by the end of the season. When was the last time we had that?

We're adjusting to a higher division and we need everyone on the same side. Hopefully yesterday's result doesn't just spark a bit of confidence on the pitch, but also calms a few down off it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 06:24:13 pm by Jonathan »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 08, 2017, 01:46:40 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Jonathan, to answer the question at the end of your excellent post, we have never had a player score 20 league goals in a season at level 2 or level 3 (excluding the old regional divisions 3 North and South prior to 1958, and these in my mind are level 3.5)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 08, 2017, 01:51:00 pm by Jonathan »
Jonathan, to answer the question at the end of your excellent post, we have never had a player score 20 league goals in a season at level 2 or level 3 (excluding the old regional divisions 3 North and South prior to 1958, and these in my mind are level 3.5)

Thanks, I thought you might know!

Maybe it's time people got off Marquis' back for only having 5 by the start of October.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 08, 2017, 02:42:08 pm by RoversAlias »
He has 5 goals in what, 12 league outings this season? And that's with him arguably not playing all that well in many of those games too. Imagine what he could do with a run of good form for himself and the team...

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 08, 2017, 09:14:24 pm by les@donr »
We simply have  to keep believing that our team has the capability to beat any team in L1.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 09, 2017, 10:03:45 am by drfchound »
I like Johnathans prediction that we will win, lose and draw some games over the rest of the season.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 09, 2017, 10:05:56 am by ravenrover »
is Marquis a happy bunny at the moment, I thought that after he scored he looked to be pushing some of his celebrating teamates away

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 09, 2017, 03:03:47 pm by roversontheup »
is Marquis a happy bunny at the moment, I thought that after he scored he looked to be pushing some of his celebrating teamates away
I know what you mean RR but I interpreted it slightly differently. For me it was.....don’t celebrate yet the jobs not finished. Let’s make sure we don’t concede another and let’s get a winning goal. We all see things differently.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 09, 2017, 03:06:08 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
I know what you mean RR but I interpreted it slightly differently. For me it was.....don’t celebrate yet the jobs not finished. Let’s make sure we don’t concede another and let’s get a winning goal. We all see things differently.

I'd go with that. In Whitemans interview with the Yorkshire Post there's a good photo of him & Marquis sharing a nice moment together.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 09, 2017, 03:11:18 pm by chrisd_123 »

I'd go with that. In Whitemans interview with the Yorkshire Post there's a good photo of him & Marquis sharing a nice moment together.

I'd agree. Marquis is clearly someone who's his own worst critic and won't be happy until the job is done.

I think it's fair to say, if the pushing away of the players was a true reflection of his feelings towards the players and the club then he wouldn't be in the side, no matter how many he scores.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 09, 2017, 05:58:25 pm by Jonathan »
I like Johnathans prediction that we will win, lose and draw some games over the rest of the season.

Never heard of a Johnathan.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 09, 2017, 06:31:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Interesting observation about Marquis. I was wondering the same. I also think it was down to him showing to everyone that his goal wasn't worthy of celebration as, it was just the equaliser and, there's still work to be done.

That said, he also berated Toffollo for putting in what was a great cross but, wasn't ideal for him to score from. His body language recently seems to be one of someone who's a wounded animal. If that's the way he motivates himself then fair do's but you wonder whether he should chill a bit and get less wound up.

At the end of the day, if he keeps scoring, he can do what he bloody likes.

legendslounger

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 11, 2017, 10:10:47 am by legendslounger »

as long as his negativity isnt infectious

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 11, 2017, 11:10:28 am by turnbull for england »

as long as his negativity isnt infectious

They need to keep that off the pitch,  thats whats the forums for :)

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 11, 2017, 11:32:34 am by foxbat »
 :thumbsup:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012