Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:11:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Great result  (Read 1885 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Great result
« on October 07, 2017, 07:03:57 pm by dickos1 »
Much needed and hopefully we will put a run together now. A tough game next week but then a few winnable games.
Could be in a decent position in a months time.

I'm sure donnyjim will be along shortly 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:26:43 pm by dickos1 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Great result
« Reply #1 on October 07, 2017, 07:21:10 pm by ravenrover »
Who is Shortly? thought you were dickos1😆

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 07, 2017, 07:47:19 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Had a feeling we'd win today.
Be happy with a point next week

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 07, 2017, 08:06:01 pm by Lesonthewest »
Wasn't the best of games & we looked lacking in confidence but when we took the lead the players dug in to a man & limited them to a couple of half chances, big up to Fergy (chuffed for him) & the team.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 07, 2017, 08:24:52 pm by RedJ »
First half was half shite, half not quite there but knocking on the door. Second half I thought we were awesome for large spells.

Still not convinced by him as it's only one game but this is the right way to go about it and if he does turn it around, credit to him.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 07, 2017, 08:31:11 pm by pib »
I think the reason we come unstuck a bit at this level is because Fergie is only interested in what his own team does and focusing on attacking.

Was evident today in their goal, where the fullback brought the ball from his own half into crossing range without any of our guys anywhere near him.

We blitzed them thankfully with a few good goals and some more decisive attacking stuff than in recent weeks.  But to nick tight games we have to be a lot more tactically and defensively aware - question marks still over whether we can do that at this level.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 07, 2017, 08:45:12 pm by Donnyjim »
Loved it today pal! May, Whitman and Copps were outstanding. It was great to see the lads come from behind. Confidence started to flood through the team, they all looked a yard sharper. Even Butler had a decent game. Certainly looked solid at the back second half. Hopefully we can kick on from here. I have a good feeling! Took my little boy today, he loved it. Lucky mascot combo with Mystic Mike!

Our first win at home in the league since Mansfield, can you believe. :scarf:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 07, 2017, 09:40:56 pm by drfchound »
Yep, a great result and much needed three points.
We didn't play great apart from that ten minute spell but give me that and three points every time rather than play really well and lose, like against Shrewsbury.
I thought Butler or Wright could have got MoM but Whiteman deserved it for his hat trick.
That second goal of his was as good as you could ever hope to see.
Hopefully we can push on now.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 07, 2017, 09:47:54 pm by Campsall rover »
Strange isn't it when DF gets a balanced team on the park and has a 4-4-2 with right sided players on the right and a left full back at left back. Everyone knew their job and were comfortable in their roles in the team.
End result 4-1 Round pegs in round holes.

Please please DF can you stay with the same week in week out.
If you do then the play offs are a realistic target.
Yes Yes they really are.

No one has outplayed us yet this season.
The fact is ALL the games we have lost are because we managed to beat ourselves.

Come on the Rovers we have set the bar today now we must keep the bar at that level as a minimum. :thumbsup:

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 07, 2017, 09:52:33 pm by Paul Simpson »
Make mine a pint of 1879!! Cheers!! RTID ⚽️🍺👍

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 07, 2017, 10:03:12 pm by Pancho Regan »
Great result indeed, but I honestly believe that performance was no better or worse than those against Shrewsbury, Bradford and even possibly Rochdale.

There were two huge differences:

1. We were more adventurous in the final third and we took our chances;

2. We defended better at set pieces.

I give the Manager credit for that. He has watched the videos of the last few games, he has learned and he has worked with the players to put it right.

Onwards and upwards!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 07, 2017, 10:19:47 pm by Campsall rover »
Great result indeed, but I honestly believe that performance was no better or worse than those against Shrewsbury, Bradford and even possibly Rochdale.

There were two huge differences:

1. We were more adventurous in the final third and we took our chances;

2. We defended better at set pieces.

I give the Manager credit for that. He has watched the videos of the last few games, he has learned and he has worked with the players to put it right.

Onwards and upwards!
Yes I agree with you, but we had system/formation today which DF stuck to and the players understood their roles in the team.
Last week we had Rowe playing 3 different positions in 1 match.
He played the last 15/20 mins at left back when we were 2-0 down.
Some matches we play 3 formations. The players become confused to their roles in the team.
Today was different we had a players playing in there best positions. Happy comfortable in their roles.
End result, the right one. NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 07, 2017, 10:24:32 pm by MachoMadness »
Think one thing is clear, Whiteman needs to be pushed much further up the pitch than he has been. Game passes him by when he's in the holding role. If there's one thing DF loves it's an attacking midfielder so hopefully this will happen.

Also would echo the points above about a more balanced, conventional formation and team selection. Let's not get all A Beautiful Mind with these mental experimental team selections and formations that the players struggle to pull off.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 07, 2017, 10:50:47 pm by Pancho Regan »
Whiteman says he prefers that more forward role.

3 goals for heavens sake!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 07, 2017, 11:14:36 pm by RedJ »
I think it's finally hit him that round pegs go in round holes. If he can grasp that and keep that in mind long term we'll be well away. That, to me, is what's been the problem since he's been here. Last year it wasn't as much of an issue because the squad was better than most of the division, but it's becoming obvious here.

Sometimes less is more, and today it showed.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 08, 2017, 12:30:38 am by RobTheRover »
I might be the only one who really enjoyed the game today. I thought both teams played with attacking ambition, and particularly 2nd half we never missed a header defensively. Right from the first couple of minutes you could see we were targeting their young right back, and 3 of our 4 goals came from attacking that side.

I thought we were tactically spot on today. Well done, Fergie.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012