Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:42:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Yorkshire Post-Ben Whiteman  (Read 3963 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Yorkshire Post-Ben Whiteman
« Reply #1 on October 09, 2017, 10:53:39 am by GazLaz »
Most people were saying he was rubbish last week. He’s a hero this week.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 09, 2017, 10:57:12 am by drfchound »
Had to laugh at BBC Sheffield match reporter.
He couldn't stop mentioning that Ben is on loan from the blunts.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 09, 2017, 11:43:56 am by Bentley Bullet »
Most people were saying he was rubbish last week.
 He’s a hero this week.

He was rubbish last week, and a hero this week!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 09, 2017, 12:05:11 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

He was rubbish last week and rubbish first half Saturday.  Second half shows he can do it, but one good half in 10 isn't enough.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 09, 2017, 01:42:17 pm by glosterred »

That's football

COYR

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 09, 2017, 02:23:38 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Most people were saying he was rubbish last week.
 He’s a hero this week.

He was rubbish last week, and a hero this week!

could say he was on song and a hero just for one day  :suicide:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 09, 2017, 04:44:18 pm by selby »
  I cannot think of many saying he was rubbish,but he has not been great,he is not a natural defender and is better as a box to box player,on Saturday he showed he can be dangerous getting onto the end of things around the box,but has not got forward enough in the games prior,and had become a poor mans Houghton.
 He is also one of our players that needs to get wise when we are not in possession and in trouble,or the opposition are on a break.We are a young side in midfield apart from Copps and Rowe who themselves are not the dirtiest pair we have ever had.We need to get more physical and cuter in this area especially Whiteman and Mason.   

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 09, 2017, 04:45:19 pm by RedJ »
Basically we need someone to come in and be a proper shithouse.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 09, 2017, 05:21:19 pm by selby »
  Yep thats my opinion, Bradford learnt from their first game with us, and on more than one occasion just fouled us to stop the break,Scunthorpe had Bishop stopping us playing,Gillingham,Wimbledon,Northampton,and most of the other clubs we have played against have a far worse foul count against us especially in mid field.
  It is no coincidence that we have faired better,and looked a good side in cup games,and against Blackburn and Peterborough who were confident they could out play us.I do not know,but I would have a bet that we are one of the most fouled against teams in this division,perhaps one of our statastitions  would know the numbers.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 09, 2017, 06:37:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I was remarking on Saturday we need a 'John Doolan' type or dare I say 'Ritchie Wellens', a ball player with a nasty, cynical side.

Mind you, we gave quite a few free kicks away on Saturday, most of which were nothings but some were 'taking one for the team' which is maybe a sign we're getting a bit more savvy.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 09, 2017, 07:15:50 pm by drfchound »
A Wellens would be really good for this team.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 09, 2017, 07:32:50 pm by selby »
  Rickets and Wylie would liven it up a bit.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 09, 2017, 07:40:54 pm by drfchound »
I hope no one gets rickets after the trouble Kiwomya has had mate.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 09, 2017, 08:07:21 pm by selby »
Hound I dont know how old you are but they were two of the best enforces in midfield we have ever had.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 10, 2017, 08:12:24 am by drfchound »
Selby, i am 65 in a weeks time and remember Rickets and Wylie very well.

Did you not see the joke in my last post ?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 10, 2017, 08:36:34 am by Alickismyhero »
Hound I dont know how old you are but they were two of the best enforces in midfield we have ever had.

Wow Selby, that takes me back! If you look back at my comments I have seen 3 games this season and my view expressed were that we were too easily bullied.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 10, 2017, 09:19:37 am by idler »
You want Mark Weaver back?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 10, 2017, 09:21:38 am by idler »
They were very good in the fourth division but both struggled a bit when we got promoted. Losing John Nicholson didn't help of course.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 10, 2017, 10:49:35 am by RedJ »
You want Mark Weaver back?

I said shithouse not shit for brains.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 10, 2017, 01:57:46 pm by selby »
Hound,Yes I did see the joke,and just thought that you may have been too young to remember those too play.
  Have a great time next week mate,and if you are retiring make the best of it with friends and family.
  Idler they were both coming to the end of their careers when Frank Marshall signed them both from Stockport where they were thought of as two of the best in the lower leagues.
   Frank played against the two of them at B.V. the season before signing them for the Rovers in the closed season.In that game Rickets stood on his arm and broke it,I always thought it was one way to make an impression on your future manager.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 11, 2017, 01:32:47 pm by drfchound »
Selby, thanks for those good wishes.
I am actually going to retire at the end of this year and am looking forward to work not getting in the way of all the things i do and still want to do.  :woohoo:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 11, 2017, 02:19:24 pm by The Red Baron »
Hound,Yes I did see the joke,and just thought that you may have been too young to remember those too play.
  Have a great time next week mate,and if you are retiring make the best of it with friends and family.
  Idler they were both coming to the end of their careers when Frank Marshall signed them both from Stockport where they were thought of as two of the best in the lower leagues.
   Frank played against the two of them at B.V. the season before signing them for the Rovers in the closed season.In that game Rickets stood on his arm and broke it,I always thought it was one way to make an impression on your future manager.

Frank Marshall was never manager, although he did have a spell as Caretaker between Danny Malloy and Oscar Hold. Bill Lievers was the manager when they joined, although Marshall may have recommended them to him.

Ricketts was nicknamed "Dan" after the Archers character of that name due to his West Country accent. He was Rovers' deputy goalkeeper and had to replace the injured Bobby Dawson at Barrow in 1965-66.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:29:37 pm by The Red Baron »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 11, 2017, 05:37:25 pm by selby »
R.B. I bow to your superior knowledge, I thought he may have been just an interim manager when posting but had a senior moment,but I do know that he did most of the spade work that ended up with the two signing for us.
   As a youngster I was stood on the popular side wall,just after they first began to play with us,Wylie came across to tackle a player just in front of me,and scared me to death.
  The look on his face was shear hate and determination as he clattered full blooded  into the player,and took the player and the ball over the touch line.What a tackle and I doubt you could get such a near sighted view of play in this country on any ground nowadays other than non league grounds,and although a perfectly legal tackle at the time, today would result probably in a sending off,and more likely the other player rolling about for ten minutes.From that moment on he was one of the heroes of my youth.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012