Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:38:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Harry Toffolo  (Read 4603 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Harry Toffolo
« on October 10, 2017, 09:48:12 pm by Branton Rover »
I've been really pleased with the lad, he's a steady full back, nothing fancy but just what we needed & he's getting his fitness by playing games - I was at Northampton to see his debut where he was clearly played out of position - he has been much better since he's dropped back to play as an orthodox fullback.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Harry Toffolo
« Reply #1 on October 11, 2017, 01:30:54 am by roversdude »
Sorry Branton but I’ve not been impressed at all yet
Seems to struggle with basics such as running and positional play
Was better in second half on Saturday so maybe bedded in

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 11, 2017, 08:12:10 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think he played much better on Saturday, wanting to get forward and signs he can put a good cross in.

He looked more comfortable defending than on his previous outing. Just needs games now.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 11, 2017, 08:14:00 am by GazLaz »
The fact Fergie didn’t throw him straight in when he signed shows he want fully fit/up to speed.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 11, 2017, 08:30:28 am by selby »
He played quite a number of games for Scunthorpe last season on loan,who you have to say are at the moment a better side than us,and last season were recognised as a difficult team to beat.
   One of my irks is that this season we seem to have made a lot of positional  and personnel changes to the back four,and called for,and was pleased to see us play the same players last week as against Bradford.
  Defending has always been a group thing,where individuals need to understand and  work in tandem with their team mates.Consistency picking a settled back four can only benefit the team.
  Like many supporters I think that Baudry is a good player, one of our stand out players last season, but the way our two central defenders have played this season,and as long as they keep their standards up,unless we make a tactical change and play three at the back (which we do not have the wing backs for in my opinion) he would have to wait for a player to lose form, or injury to get a place in the side.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 11, 2017, 09:11:37 am by Campsall rover »
I agree with all you say Brian. The only way Baudry could get in the side would be to play him at right back, a position I am sure he could play. To change to a back 3 would be foolish as we do not have wing backs who are good enough at getting forward and having to defend.
At present you cannot leave out Butler or Wright.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 11, 2017, 09:26:01 am by GazLaz »
Boudry is better than Butler and Wright. Those two have been ok this season but it’s folly tho think they couldn’t be improved on.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 11, 2017, 09:31:00 am by glosterred »
If Baudry is back at the weekend or the Pompey game, then Fergie could go to playing 3 centre backs and pushing the right and left back further up the pitch. Just a thought

COYR

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 11, 2017, 10:26:33 am by RobTheRover »
Toffolo grew into the game on saturday.  Seemed a bit nervous for the first 10 or 15 minutes but you could see him get better and better as the game progressed.  Of course, being in a winning team is a great feeling and you could see us relax and play once we got our noses in front.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 11, 2017, 10:42:45 am by chrisd_123 »
I've not been convinced by him so far but he was better on Saturday.

Thought he could have prevented the first goal at Bradford but was caught flat footed.

Hopefully he's just been a bit slow to bed in and get up to speed and he can kick on. Haven't written him off but still yet to be convinced.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 11, 2017, 10:46:26 am by The Red Baron »
I saw Baudry in the U-23s yesterday. He looked his usual composed self on the ball and played one glorious long pass. He got an hour under his belt, although I think he would probably benefit from another game.

Fergie was there and apparently may include him in the squad for Charlton if he pulls up ok. I dare say the same applies to Beestin, who also got an hour and looked sharp.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 11, 2017, 12:01:06 pm by selby »
Fair comment on the goal at Bradford,it was his job to pick up the man at the far post.But Mason gave their left back time to collect the ball,switch it onto his right foot and still have six yards to get the cross in.
   All things that Fergie in his after the game summary said they were told about,and shown videos of, before the game,and not the first time by a long chalk crosses had cost us goals this season from our right back position.
   Having said that I would leave the back four to play unchanged again at Charlton for reasons previously stated.
  We have mixed and matched enough this season,it is time to get a reasonably settled side,and force the players not playing to step up to the plate when getting the chance to play, and forcing the managers hand to pick them because of their form, and not just because of who they are

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 11, 2017, 12:38:08 pm by RobTheRover »
Agree with that, Selby.  Plus the old football adage "Never change a winning side"

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 11, 2017, 12:42:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, I would like to see the same line up.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 11, 2017, 01:16:14 pm by Bessie Red »
Boudry is better than Butler and Wright. Those two have been ok this season but it’s folly tho think they couldn’t be improved on.

Agreed that he is the better player all round however it would send out a bad message if he were to get straight back into the side at the expense of either of them. Until they are injured or lose form then the only way Baudry should get in is if he plays in a back three or at full back.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 11, 2017, 01:18:31 pm by IDM »
can we fit Frenchy in as a central defensive midfielder?  He is good enough on the ball.

that could push Whiteman forward, which isn't a bad thing, but would the team accommodate this??

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 11, 2017, 01:36:11 pm by drfchound »
Where would Houghton fit in though IDM?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 11, 2017, 02:06:40 pm by IDM »
That's the concern, someone would have to make way and I wouldn't chop Houghton...

I dunno, just seeing how Baudry could fit in..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 11, 2017, 02:08:19 pm by RoversAlias »
Until the central pair of Butler & Wright stop playing as well, the only way Baudry starts for me is in a 3-5-2 set-up. Houghton in front of them.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 11, 2017, 02:17:01 pm by The Red Baron »
Possibly significant that we used a 3-4-3 formation in the Development game yesterday. Baudry played in the middle of the three with Alcock and Garratt either side.

Given how well we did with the old-school 4-4-2 on Saturday, I'd be reluctant to go away from that, certainly in home games.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 11, 2017, 02:34:07 pm by foxbat »
teams need to change formations as the game changes.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 11, 2017, 06:47:35 pm by ravenrover »
Until the central pair of Butler & Wright stop playing as well, the only way Baudry starts for me is in a 3-5-2 set-up. Houghton in front of them.
or until Fergie says Joe has played really well he is only young he is still learning we need a bit of experience in tgere and he needs a rest ie drops him for Frenchie

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 11, 2017, 08:56:24 pm by selby »
Raven,the only way to be fair to every player we have on our books is to pick players who are playing well,not because of who they are .An example was Jimmy Greaves who was a far better player than Geoff Hurst, but would we have won the world cup?
  Leave picking names to the England set up, it always causes trouble at clubs when players play well and are dropped for a player just because the management team like him.We have just won three out of four games which seems to have escaped most people,and the one we lost was to one of the form teams in this division away from home,and we were not disgraced in that game, and were disappointed to not get something from the game.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 11, 2017, 09:07:06 pm by Alan Southstand »
IDM, its bad enough the manager getting hammered for putting square pegs in round holes.........

Imagine the fall-out if we did as you suggested and then got beat!

There is a place for Baudry and that's on the bench until if and when he is required. That's what having a strong squad is all about. Sometimes, you have to just be ready to answer the call and, let's be fair, he has only played 60 mins in a development game against kids.

FA Cup could see his return and we could rest one the others.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 11, 2017, 09:23:54 pm by ravenrover »
Raven,the only way to be fair to every player we have on our books is to pick players who are playing well,not because of who they are .An example was Jimmy Greaves who was a far better player than Geoff Hurst, but would we have won the world cup?
  Leave picking names to the England set up, it always causes trouble at clubs when players play well and are dropped for a player just because the management team like him.We have just won three out of four games which seems to have escaped most people,and the one we lost was to one of the form teams in this division away from home,and we were not disgraced in that game, and were disappointed to not get something from the game.
sorry Sellby you've lost me on that analogy? Do you agree with me that Joe should keep his place or not?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 11, 2017, 09:47:34 pm by selby »
Agree,he is my player of the season up to press with Butler and Copps not far behind.Our weakness to me is that we are not converting enough of the chances we create.
     If I was to make any change it would be to replace Alfie with Mandeville,and use Alfie as an impact player off the bench,contreversial I know  but I think that the Mandeville Marquise combination works the best for both players,Alfie to me puts in a lot of running but does not combine with the other forwards as well as Mandeville, and needs a lot of chances to convert one.
 However,would I change the team to start this week? NO I WOULD NOT.   
  Do I think that Alfie is an asset and a good player? YES I DO

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 12, 2017, 08:04:27 am by IDM »
IDM, its bad enough the manager getting hammered for putting square pegs in round holes.........

Imagine the fall-out if we did as you suggested and then got beat!

There is a place for Baudry and that's on the bench until if and when he is required. That's what having a strong squad is all about. Sometimes, you have to just be ready to answer the call and, let's be fair, he has only played 60 mins in a development game against kids.

FA Cup could see his return and we could rest one the others.

I am not saying Baudry should go straight back into the side, but he is too good a player not to be considered.

How to fit him in, especially with our current pairing playing well, is down to the manager.  That's what he's paid for.  I was only offering a partial solution ie defensive midfielder but I don't know how that would work, unless perhaps we played 4-5-1, and would that be more likely away from home??

Someone else said we need to be able to change formation during the game, and that is absolutely correct IMHO.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 12, 2017, 08:10:38 am by Alan Southstand »
Personally, I think you have it the wrong way round, Selby. Alfie stays, with Mandeville the impact player. Alfie is definately the harder worker and we need that energy early in games. When teams start to tire, that is the time to introduce Mande, who is, arguably, less of a worker but possibly and slightly the more clinical of the 2.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 12, 2017, 08:33:02 am by drfchound »

Slight exaggeration selby mate, we have won three out of five games if the Sunderland match.
Two out of four wins in league matches.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 12, 2017, 09:36:05 am by selby »
A slight senior moment there hound,I forgot the Shrewsbury game thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
  Still a good performance though,we probably played better that game than we did last Saturday for large parts of the game.
  And I have just realised Rodney is back available this weekend making our bench much stronger,it will be interesting to see if Fletcher? makes the bench for this game.
  Alan S. I  have a different view but  respect yours,I just feel that Alfie in the box most times has to take a touch before shooting,and the way defenders lunge in to block means he is missing chances to me,He has had three or four good chances in the last five games which he has not taken,and all the running in the world does not make that up.Improve his finishing and boy would we have a player on our hands,hopefully that will come and he will work on hitting the ball early.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012