Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:50:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Portsmouth game  (Read 5862 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Portsmouth game
« on October 15, 2017, 10:20:05 am by selby »
  It looks as if this game has taken on even more importance with the striker injuries ,and the real prospect of falling into the relegation positions.
   Can we at last put two wins together in home matches?where if we are to improve we have to take more points per game than we have up to press this season.
  All the injuries sustained at Charlton, if they cannot play in the next few games, are to players who have been first choices on the team sheet,added to which I was Told that Marquis faces a ban for having being booked five times,although I dont know if this is fact.
  This could seriously weaken us at an important time for the club this season .Baudry may or may not be a chink of light,and could allow us to change our defensive formation to three at the back and give us a more balanced look to the team,but if Marquis is out with Williams and Alfie unfit we are seriously short up front.
  What are your thoughts?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the Portsmouth game
« Reply #1 on October 15, 2017, 10:23:19 am by since-1969 »
3 more players out . Not depth in squad . Not enough clean sheets . Opposition looking for 3 wins in a row . Have missed anything .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 15, 2017, 10:28:58 am by selby »
The letter"I"?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 15, 2017, 10:29:15 am by GazLaz »
Won’t Wilo be fit for Tuesday?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 15, 2017, 10:45:27 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Williams may be fit, Mandeville will get his chance and possibly Tommy Rowe could be pushed forward.

It's not ideal but it's not the end of the world either.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 15, 2017, 11:06:28 am by Michael Shaw »
Mandeville and Beestin up front and Lewis Scattergood on the bench to score against Portsmouth? Another loss on the way.
Copps is also out.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 15, 2017, 11:18:28 am by Michael Shaw »
I love your enthusiasm, Baz, but "It's not ideal but it's not the end of the world either." doesn't really help us escape the constant struggle to avoid the drop zone. If we are in the same position at Christmas some significant changes are needed. Hopefully some significant new signings if we have to keep Ferguson in charge. This team really can't hack it in this division and that's just a fact with 13 games gone.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:24:54 am by Michael Shaw »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 15, 2017, 02:06:13 pm by The Red Baron »
I would have thought Whiteman could play up front. Beestin and Mandeville would be a rather lightweight pairing.

Scattergood is injured by the way. However I predict James Morris will be on the bench. He did well in the reserves last week.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 15, 2017, 02:24:25 pm by RedJ »
Or we could just use an actual striker and give James Morris a spot on the bench.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 15, 2017, 02:53:06 pm by Michael Shaw »
With our main strike force out I would say we have very limited options. Moving midfielders forwards would wreck the balance of the team. The Beestin and Mandeville pairing would be weak but they are the only forwards we have left. James Morris is a very young lad and between them all they are hardly a match for Pompey currently sat in 8th position.  Marquis, May and Copps would have had a hard time against Pompey. A loss could easily see us in the bottom four. No pressure.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 15, 2017, 05:25:29 pm by Retdon1 »
We have to get tommy Rowe playing further forward. Yesterday Whitman played in the number 10 role but he offers little in terms of creativity. With copps out for a while Rowe has to play their on my opinion. Could be a chance for ben kemis to show his worth in the coming weeks.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 15, 2017, 05:39:33 pm by steve@dcfd »
With three players out and Williams may still not be available then we have use the 11 squad players we have. We could add to them Baudry and Beestin if both are fit enough.

We could play 3 4 3 or 3 5 2 or 4  4  2 or my preference with the players we have which is 4. 2. 3. 1

Lawlor

Blair.      Wright.     Butler.     Toffolo

Houghton         Mason

Kongolo.       Whiteman.       Rowe

Mandeville

Marosi
Alcock
Garrett
Baudry
Fletcher
Beestin
Ben Khemis

The system means that Mason and Houghton can protect the back four. It will allow Blair and Toffolo to break down their wings if required. The reason for Rowe left of the three he is the only left footed player.
The three in front will have to break a gut to get forward and help Mandeville who is not a hold up centre forward but may be able to use his football ability to link up with the breaking midfield players or even full backs.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 15, 2017, 06:29:12 pm by The Red Baron »
That's not a bad line up.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 15, 2017, 06:33:55 pm by Draytonian III »
Also impressed

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 15, 2017, 09:16:13 pm by selby »
  I think that Baudry will start on Tuesday,I will be very  surprised if he does not, if fit of course.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 15, 2017, 09:22:44 pm by steve@dcfd »
  I think that Baudry will start on Tuesday,I will be very  surprised if he does not, if fit of course.

Do you want DF to drop one of the centre halves or play three at the back?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 15, 2017, 09:33:24 pm by selby »
  I think he will go for three at the back if he does play,to drop one of the centre halves would be dropping one of the two outstanding defenders we have this season.
  If he has the players available I think it is Fergies preferred line up anyway.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 16, 2017, 10:59:02 am by selby »
  I will throw one in from off the field,an old trick that was used much more in the dim past when I was a lad.
   Bring Baudry into the back four disrupting it as little as possible,and move Butler up front with Mandeville as the target player in place of Marquise for one game.
  Marshall at is a name that I remember being one player who made quite an impression after converting from defence,and we have at times shoved Butler forward when chasing a game.
  Just something to discuss, because I remember them having a big lump with a pony tail who may be a bit daunting for a young lad. Or even push Blair up front,he has the speed and stature and I think he may have played up front for York, I hope Williams is fit thuogh.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 16, 2017, 11:01:18 am by NickDRFC »
Definitely not for me, there's a difference when you're chasing a game with 5 minutes left and shoving a big centre half up front, and starting someone with no experience of playing there for the full 90 minutes.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 16, 2017, 11:38:59 am by GazLaz »
With three players out and Williams may still not be available then we have use the 11 squad players we have. We could add to them Baudry and Beestin if both are fit enough.

We could play 3 4 3 or 3 5 2 or 4  4  2 or my preference with the players we have which is 4. 2. 3. 1

Lawlor

Blair.      Wright.     Butler.     Toffolo

Houghton         Mason

Kongolo.       Whiteman.       Rowe

Mandeville

Marosi
Alcock
Garrett
Baudry
Fletcher
Beestin
Ben Khemis

The system means that Mason and Houghton can protect the back four. It will allow Blair and Toffolo to break down their wings if required. The reason for Rowe left of the three he is the only left footed player.
The three in front will have to break a gut to get forward and help Mandeville who is not a hold up centre forward but may be able to use his football ability to link up with the breaking midfield players or even full backs.

Very unlikely to play 4231, DF sticks to what he likes. I think he may play three centre halves and Ben Khemis off Mandy in a free role.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 16, 2017, 06:43:33 pm by selby »
  Kongolo could be very good just behind Mandeville,they would be a very technical and clever pairing with both having the ability to turn defenders and go past them.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 16, 2017, 10:06:44 pm by les@donr »
Adversity often brings opportunities.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 17, 2017, 09:47:56 am by selby »
  The worst kind of home game when it comes to crowd appeal.An away game in mid week, where the away fans face one of their longest journeys,an home crowd who, although seeing a good win the last home game their team is not in great form,and the team is suffering with injuries and suspensions.
  Makes it interesting to see just how our crowd will hold up when the big European games on T.V. and the windy weather are added into the mix.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 17, 2017, 10:19:00 am by idler »
It's a game where to get anything we need a team with 100% commitment and work rate. Probably a slice of luck as well. These are the times that sort the men out from the boys.

Mac the hooped man

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 17, 2017, 10:26:19 am by Mac the hooped man »
Dint the great spain team of a few years ago play  with no forwards? 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 17, 2017, 10:57:11 am by Filo »
Dint the great spain team of a few years ago play  with no forwards? 

Yes, but the midfield was exeptional

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 17, 2017, 11:47:49 am by GazLaz »
I think Khemis will play with Mandy. The two of them were very good in the Development game and the LDV cup.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 17, 2017, 03:16:18 pm by bobjimwilly »
who would you rather have up front:

Mandeville OR Curtis Main

:laugh:  :scarf:

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 17, 2017, 03:32:26 pm by Alan Southstand »
Neither!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 17, 2017, 04:49:55 pm by IDM »
I love your enthusiasm, Baz, but "It's not ideal but it's not the end of the world either." doesn't really help us escape the constant struggle to avoid the drop zone. If we are in the same position at Christmas some significant changes are needed. Hopefully some significant new signings if we have to keep Ferguson in charge. This team really can't hack it in this division and that's just a fact with 13 games gone.

Can't hack it??

How many times have we been played off the park, or hammered by 3 or 4??

We have been competitive in most games, haven't we?  we need to sharpen up in defence and in the final third, that's for sure, and get some more decent results, but the margins are small at the moment..

"Can't hack it" would imply we cannot compete, but we do.

However, we can all see we need more results to go our way.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012