Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:23:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A performance drenched with positives  (Read 3379 times)

anne honemous

• Forum Member
A performance drenched with positives
« on October 17, 2017, 10:28:17 pm by anne honemous »
Where do we start after such a fantastic result?

I thought it was one of our best shows of resolve so far this season and we did a proper job on Portsmouth, better than any of us probably expected us to.

We seized the initiative and could, probably should, have been 3-0 up inside the opening 5 or 6 minutes when we caused them all manner of problems with balls into the box.

Once they got into the game, I thought our game management was excellent and special praise must go for Butler, who was superb, Baudry and Joe Wright.

The changes we made were spot on and helped us with our resolve in the second half during the spells when they got on top and dominated things a little bit.

Their lad was idiotic in getting himself sent off for kicking out right in front of both the linesman and fourth official but Rowe, Mason and then Mandeville in particular did a brilliant job of winding up their players.

It worked 100%.

Special mention also for Beestin who ran his balls off when he came on and chased everything down. So full of energy, it was fantastic.

Only negative was the referee, but we won and we probably won't have the clown again for a long time, so that'll do as a positive.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: A performance drenched with positives
« Reply #1 on October 17, 2017, 10:29:54 pm by roversdude »
Where’s Esdaille tonight

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 17, 2017, 10:36:28 pm by Filo »
Where’s Esdaille tonight

Probably sat drowning his sorrows with Jim

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 17, 2017, 10:43:16 pm by Jimmydee »
Their lad was idiotic in getting himself sent off for kicking out right in front of both the linesman and fourth official but Rowe, Mason and then Mandeville in particular did a brilliant job of winding up their players.

It was a similar situation at home against Southend and their number 4 kicked Houghtons back side, in front of the ref, 4th official and linesman

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 17, 2017, 10:51:13 pm by Alan Southstand »
They were even better when down to 10 - our shape disappeared.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 17, 2017, 10:57:14 pm by dickos1 »
Never looked like scoring apart from a free kick in 93 minutes

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 17, 2017, 11:01:30 pm by RedJ »
That was immense. I said it after Southend, if he can turn that out consistently he'll win people over again. It's just a matter of getting that consistency, which is easier said than done.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 17, 2017, 11:02:07 pm by MrFrost »

And the header in injury time

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 17, 2017, 11:02:35 pm by RoversAlias »
Fully agree with the OP, great performance to dig in and win that game albeit Pompey were only in it because of a huge blunder. We got a hard earned three points and it should give us confidence for Saturday.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 17, 2017, 11:03:49 pm by glosterred »
A performance drenched in positives and one sodding great big negative - Lawlor footwork for their goal.

COYR

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 17, 2017, 11:04:39 pm by dickos1 »

And the header in injury time

That was 94th minute 👍

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 17, 2017, 11:06:00 pm by TheFunk »
And the one we headed off the line in the first half.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 17, 2017, 11:08:54 pm by Paul Simpson »
Thoroughly enjoyed the game. I wasn't expecting a win given all the bad luck we've had with injuries. So credit to the manager and the team for a superb effort this evening!! 😀👍

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 18, 2017, 03:07:03 am by Sammy Chung was King »
When you take the lead so early it takes a very disciplined performance to see it out and win. Portsmouth for me haven't improved from last season and though they won the title and they say the table doesn't lie i wasn't impressed with them last season.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 18, 2017, 04:37:29 am by roversdude »
Agree with majority of OP
My only gripe with our game Management is why when we are 2 - 0 up we rush free kicks. It happened a few times last night where we took a quick short free kick and played into trouble. I can understand it if we are in a position where we are playing one of our guys in but we do it in defence

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 18, 2017, 07:19:58 am by dickos1 »
When you take the lead so early it takes a very disciplined performance to see it out and win. Portsmouth for me haven't improved from last season and though they won the title and they say the table doesn't lie i wasn't impressed with them last season.

They're a completely new side from last season,

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 18, 2017, 07:55:11 am by colincramb »
Funny how opinions differ. I thought Portsmouth we quite a bit better than us last night. They appeared sharper and were first to almost every second ball. It was complete madness from their lad to get sent off for something so stupid. Had he stayed on the pitch I fear this forum might have looked a little different today.

Don't get me wrong, delighted with the win, but it's also not hard to see why we haven't won many games.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 18, 2017, 08:31:44 am by MrFrost »
Funny how opinions differ. I thought Portsmouth we quite a bit better than us last night. They appeared sharper and were first to almost every second ball. It was complete madness from their lad to get sent off for something so stupid. Had he stayed on the pitch I fear this forum might have looked a little different today.

Don't get me wrong, delighted with the win, but it's also not hard to see why we haven't won many games.

Have to agree. They controlled midfield and picked up every loose ball. They didn't create many chance, but the ones that they did were dangerous.

We battled well.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 18, 2017, 09:31:00 am by dickos1 »
Was never going to be a vintage performance with the players we've got missing
Many on here before the game we're saying even a draw was out of the question

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 18, 2017, 09:43:35 am by GazLaz »
The players can’t win can they, try to play attacking Football and concede naively they get pelters. Win ugly and they get pelters. They are a group of young, inexperienced lads learning on the job. Give them a break.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 18, 2017, 09:48:21 am by Bessie Red »
The players can’t win can they, try to play attacking Football and concede naively they get pelters. Win ugly and they get pelters. They are a group of young, inexperienced lads learning on the job. Give them a break.

Exactly Gaz. We need a few more ugly wins like that to get some much needed confidence into as you say a very young inexperienced team. Wins, no matter how you acheive them breeds confidence. When they are more confident then they will start to express themselves more.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 18, 2017, 09:54:31 am by dickos1 »
The same people who have recently been slating  the side for not producing the type of displays we saw under Saunders are now slagging the performance off when we do produce a performance of that ilk.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 18, 2017, 11:13:50 am by RedJ »
Are they though?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 18, 2017, 12:28:26 pm by dickos1 »
Yes.
I've read it was one of the worst performances of the season from someone who usually bangs on about the result is all that matters when we play well and lose

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 18, 2017, 12:36:43 pm by drfchound »
It was a decent enough performance from our lads, two or three players in roles they wouldn't usually play in too.
We were not as good or fluent as we were against Shrewsbury but we lost that one.
I am happy that we dug out a win without playing at our best and credit to DF for preparing the team well.
I also think that if it hadn't have been for the mistake by Lawlor that Portsmouth probably wouldn't have scored all evening.
Hopefully we can carry the momentum forward to the Walsall game.
Another win would ease the pressure for a while.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 18, 2017, 12:39:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
With every game they play, the youngsters are gaining experience. It's got to be good for their future. Consistency, is difficult to find, perhaps more than I anticipated, but it's worth being patient because the potential is there.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 18, 2017, 12:44:01 pm by idler »
That scruffy win should prove to them that they can win ugly and might do more for their confidence than an easy win. There are 46 games and if you only win when you play well you aren't normally the champions.

red w(h)ine

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 18, 2017, 01:08:02 pm by red w(h)ine »
"The same people who have recently been slating  the side for not producing the type of displays we saw under Saunders are now slagging the performance off when we do produce a performance of that ilk."

My recollection of the Saunders era was that the football played was dire to watch but got results.
To be fair I only went to the home games but it was very negative stuff.
(16 goals scored in 13 home games. 6 wins, 5 defeats)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:08:27 pm by red w(h)ine »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 18, 2017, 02:18:35 pm by RoversAlias »

Bang on. Some sections of our fanbase will never, ever be happy because we don't play Cruyff-style Total Football every game and win 3/4-0. It's honestly pathetic some of the comments I read on here after every game be it a win, lose or draw.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 18, 2017, 02:43:38 pm by RedJ »

Bang on. Some sections of our fanbase will never, ever be happy because we don't play Cruyff-style Total Football every game and win 3/4-0. It's honestly pathetic some of the comments I read on here after every game be it a win, lose or draw.

Only 3/4-0? should be at least 8.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012